Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
Any genre you really like the look of, but haven't thought about writing or reading anything yet?

I've always liked steampunk but I've never thought of writing a story around it which occured to me just now.

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Bordner I love ghost story/horror genre, but just haven't the courage to delve into writing it. There are so many variations that have been covered, I can't come up with anything original.

message 3: by David (new)

David Thirteen (davidjthirteen) I love Fantasy, but I'm not sure if it is something I'd ever tackle. It's a wonderful genre when done right. I'm not sure I could do it justice.

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Michelle | 450 comments Mod
I'd have to agree with steampunk xp Maybe scifi too...maybe.

message 5: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments Can someone explain what steampunk is exactly. Can't seem to find a real definition.

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments I wouldn't classify steampunk really as a genre. It's more of a style. Steampunk worlds are where steam powered machinations are the height of technology. It has a specific look that is complex and interesting. One of my friends on twitter writes steampunk/fantasy.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments Oh and as far as genre goes. Historical fiction or literary fiction are two that I don't think I could do. I always have to have something strange or unusual going on. My imagination won't let me take anything straight on.

message 8: by Bisky (last edited Feb 06, 2014 08:41AM) (new)

I guess genre was the wrong word when I said steam punk, should have really said something like 'flavour'? :p

Must say the fashion would get into my wardrobe more if I could ever find anyone who makes custom clothes for an amazon woman -_-

message 9: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments Steampunk is one of those that I think looks interesting but I don't have any real emotional connection to. So I feel like any steampunk I wrote would end up feeling rather shallow.

Romance is a genre that I sometimes wish I could write. I think it would be fun to create a romance tied to a different genre, like a science fiction romance, I could really get behind a project like that conceptually. BUT I'M TERRIBLE AT IT. I'd never be able to write it in a way that would do it justice.

So I have a romance shaped hole in my heart. (tear)

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Strong (samanthalstrong) | 206 comments I read a couple steampunk books and found them a little boring, but they were freebies that came with my Kobo. I'd love to find a steampunk series that is really good.

message 11: by E.S. (new)

E.S. Wesley (eswesley) | 22 comments Steampunk for me, too. It's surprising how it's grown up in the past few years.

message 12: by H.C. (new)

H.C. Gray (scribberlings) | 53 comments I love steampunk artwork!

For me it would be sci fi. I did write one short story once but my imagination wouldn't come up with another story! Whereas horror... pours out of me (make of that what you will!)

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments @Helen I know what you mean! I always seem to set out trying to write one kind if story, and it ends up being a thriller with horror elements or horror with thriller elements.

message 14: by H.C. (new)

H.C. Gray (scribberlings) | 53 comments @Brian
Yep, that's me too Brian! My next book to be published started off as a story about the complexities of motherhood (based on my own experiences) and ended up being a horror/thriller. What can you do, lol!

message 15: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments @Helen The story goes where it wants to. I just write it down! Nothing we can do about it. My novel hasn't taken that dark turn yet, but my plans for book 3 of the series look like it's a possibility.

message 16: by E.S. (new)

E.S. Wesley (eswesley) | 22 comments My friends who've read my stuff are always surprised with how dark it ends up. It's funny, really--I'm really not a dark person.

message 17: by Bisky (new)

"But, love, don't you have anything light and fluffy to work on?" -- my mother after I tell her the plots of my next five books while washing up after Christmas dinner.

I make her question her parenting.

message 18: by H.C. (new)

H.C. Gray (scribberlings) | 53 comments @bisky that's the kind of thing my husband says to me! The poor chap reads all my drafts and horror is just not his thing at all!

message 19: by Bisky (new)

The latest idea has been my worst so far in terms of the opposite of light and fluffy. I haven't got a clue what to do with it, I dunno how the hell I'd promote it either. Guess it's just one for the shelf :p

message 20: by Neil (new)

Neil Bursnoll | 109 comments I'm working on a steampunk short at the moment - it's definitely something I never thought I'd try.

I wrote a fantasy novel 20 years ago that I never finished, but desperately want to turn it into dark fantasy. I love that genre, but figure it'll be a long old book so won't be a quick finish.

message 21: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments I recently had an idea for something I can only describe as a "historical horror novel", a horror novel set on a slave plantation in the US pre-civil war deep south. It seems like a really creepy concept and the setting adds to the drama bcs you have two groups of people, the slaves and owners, who have potentially opposing reactions to what's going on, i.e. when bad things start happening, they might not be inclined to work together to save each other. My problem is it will require a ton of research if I'm to be more or less accurate to the period and setting. I hate research! lol...oh well we'll see what happens with it.

message 22: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 1053 comments Mod
@J That sounds interesting... It certainly has a lot of potential.

message 23: by Bisky (new)

I love research! How can you resist the wiki surfing J? :p

message 24: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments Bisky wrote: "I love research! How can you resist the wiki surfing J? :p"

I'm incredibly lazy! haha

message 25: by James (new)

James Caterino (jimcaterino) | 37 comments I love big epic mushy melodramatic historical fiction novels ala John Jake's. Would love to take a crack at writing something like that one day if I find the time and garner the patience and discipline required to create one of those doorstopper sized books.

message 26: by Deb (new)

Deb (soulhaven) | 103 comments Claire wrote: "Can someone explain what steampunk is exactly. Can't seem to find a real definition."

Steampunk is supposed to be Victorian Science Fiction. It's usually set in a world like Victorian England, but can be anywhere in the late 1800s. So, that would have been the industrial revolution.. the point then is to just take the developments going on then just one step further.

Octopuses also feature a lot... look up Cthulu (falls outside my interests, so I don't know much about it).

Goggles, ray guns, tattoos, face masks...

It's much more about a setting than a genre...

I'd be tempted to dive into it. In fact, I plan to on my next novel (3rd in a series). I've touched on it so far, with an inventive antagonist (in an 1860s-ish world).

message 27: by Carl (new)

Carl Some modern tech in an older setting or vice versa. Firefly features horses, cows, and space ships. Wild Wild West had robots and cowboys in 1880s. And don't forget Cowboys v. Aliens! Think mixed - up tech.