Cheese and Crackers [A Roleplay Group] discussion

50's Roleplay > 50's Roleplay

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES] | 1123 comments Mod
Marie swung her feet on the spinning, tall stool she was sitting on, her black shoes and white socks contrasting with her tan legs. She sipped her lemonade, but quickly switched to her grilled cheese sandwich when she realized with regret how cold it was getting.

Sylvia was talking her ear off about how she had just broken up with her boyfriend of two weeks, and Marie would usually listen politely and try to give advice, but today she just wasn't in the mood.

message 2: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

Elliott | 1895 comments Mod
Josh walked into the diner, part of a cluster of laughing teenagers who had what felt like all potential in the world and very few places to go. If he was anyone else, he would've blended into the group perfectly. His slacks were the same brand as everyone else and his blue button up was standard for the guys he ran around with. But he was laughing a bit louder than the rest and he walked like he knew exactly who he was while everyone else was clearly pretending.

He caught the eye of some girl sitting at the counter, winked.

message 3: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

Marie snapped out of her zoned out state and winked back with a sarcastic No flourish and sass.

"Marie, are you listening to me?" Sylvia asked pointedly. Marie whipped around. "Sorry, Syl, back. Continue."

message 4: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

Josh and company crowded into a booth; hips too close to other hips and legs touching legs underneath the table. The conversation continued, but Josh didn't hear the words. He was sure he could write pages of scripts that were close enough to being accurate to what his friends were saying. So he felt free to zone out. Felt free to stare at that girl. (Who'd graduated from the determiner "some" to the determiner "that" rather quickly.)

message 5: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

Sylvia was rambling again. "...and so I told him I never wanted to see him again, but then he said, 'good! Because same goes for me!'--wait, Marie," she sighed.

Mouthful of lemonade, Marie glanced back at her, mustering an expression of apology. "Sorry," then her eyes flitted back to the boy at the adjacent table.

Sylvia followed her gaze. "Why are you staring at that boy?" She nudged Marie teasingly. Marie didn't smile. "He was staring at me first. It's annoying because you can feel it when someone's eyes are on you, you know? Like they're judging you or calculating how loud you scream."

Sylvia looked shocked. "Mari-!"

"Nothing inappropriate, Syl," Marie broke a smile. "Like they're going to kidnap you or something." Then she grinned devilishly. "Not how you scream in bed."

"Oh, I'm done! Where do you even come up with such vulgar things?" Sylvia's face was tart and pulled together. "I love you but I'll talk to you later, hon. I need to go patch things up with the man."

"Mhm," Marie nodded as Sylvia stood up to leave. "The man," she repeated.

message 6: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (last edited Feb 05, 2014 10:59PM) (new)

Josh was busy attempting to calculate the risks and possible advantages of getting up and saying actual words to that girl- who had, in fact, been looking at him as well- but the girl next to him had noticed his complete lack of attention toward her and was, apparently, upset.

"Jooosh." She pouted. "Where is your head today? I've been trying to get your attention for ages and ages."

"My head's where it always is," Josh said.

The-girl-next-to-him frowned. "That's what I thought."

"Why do you think I trouble myself with anything you're thinking?" Josh said, absently, his thoughts back on that girl.

He wasn't worried about talking to her. He knew he could manage a casual conversation just fine. But he was worried that after a casual conversation she wouldn't be nearly intriguing and she would become one of the girls his head barely needed to worry about.

As a rule, he liked all girls much better before he got to know them.

message 7: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

Marie sipped the last dregs of her lemonade, accidentally swallowing a partially melted ice cube in the process. She coughed and patted her chest, then was fine. She glanced over at The Blonde (as she had so creatively dubbed in her head) a final time, before getting up to leave. She noticed the jukebox (a new addition to the dairy bar to attract customers) and decided to find a coin and pick a song. She began flipping through the options.

message 8: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (last edited Feb 05, 2014 11:13PM) (new)

Josh finally decided shattering the image he was starting to build up of that girl was the lesser evil, as the-girl-next-to-him was starting to lean in a bit too close. He was so bored of everyone at his stupid table.

He walked over to the jukebox and leaned in close to that girl and said, "Don't disappoint me and pick something by Elvis."

message 9: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (last edited Feb 23, 2014 07:39PM) (new)

Without glancing up, Marie, whose finger had hovered on a song by Danny Kaye, flipped a couple songs over and quickly typed in the CD number and song for Hound Dog. "Oh whoops," she said, finally meeting his eyes challengingly. Her breath caught a little--his eyes were the bluest she'd ever seen. And that jawline... She blinked twice, unfaltering.

message 10: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (last edited Feb 05, 2014 11:25PM) (new)

"It's your funeral," Josh said, with a shrug. He raised his eyebrows and tossing a meaningful glance back towards the table he'd abandoned.

The song that was playing previously ended and "Hound Dog" was piped through the diner.

A chorus of shrieks erupted from the girls in Josh's corner.

message 11: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

Marie made a face of pure nausea and horror. "Hmm, I think now is the time for my exit. I'm too young to die." She started toward the door. "Are you coming?" She asked him as an afterthought. She didn't mind new friends, especially when she was annoyed with her old ones. And imagine the look on Sylvia's face when she told her she spent time with a boy she had just meet...alone!

message 12: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

"Why not?" Josh said. If he was being honest with himself, it had less to do with her pretty face and than with his complete lack of will power to sit through a full 2 minutes and 52 seconds of girls flailing about "the King."

message 13: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

Marie beckoned him and they left "Knapp's Diner," together.

"What's your name?" Marie asked, once they were out of earshot of the screaming fangirls and guitar riffs emanating from the Diner.

message 14: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

"Joshua O'Connor," he said, with more than a hint of snootiness in his voice. He walked a few paces and then added, "I don't really care to know your name."

message 15: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

Marie raised her eyebrows, regretting her invitation and her previous thought about new friends.. "Oh..oh really? Alright then. You have your wish."

message 16: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

"Don't I always?" Josh said, with a practiced smirk.

message 17: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

Marie resisted glaring. That well defined jaw was yelling to be smacked. "I wouldn't know. I don't know the inner wishes of your heart, or if you even have one."

message 18: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

"I'll let you in on a secret. Because you're pretty," Josh said. "I don't have a heart."

message 19: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

"Oh, was that a secret?" Marie widened her eyes in mock innocence. "You think I'm pretty, how nice," she commented blankly, again with sarcasm and more to herself then anything.

message 20: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

"I think most girls are pretty," Josh said. "But I get tired of most pretty girls and most pretty girls don't ever get me."

message 21: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

"I'm sorry to bore you then," Marie didn't have time to be manipulated by this pretentious entitled boy who thought girls existed to please him. "Hmmmm I best be going. I'd say nice to meet you, but it really wasn't." She gave him a little sassy curtsy and turned to leave.

message 22: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

"Later," Josh said, with a shrug. He was too tired for double meanings and turns of phrase and he hadn't talked to anyone straight in years.

message 23: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

Marie huffed quietly. This boy was so irritating. "Yeah, bye." She turned and went into the store nearest because she just wanted to get out of there.

message 24: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

Josh decided to walk aimlessly down the street for a while. He wasn't in the mood to be around anyone and going home was probably worse than going back to the diner.

--

Eric was sitting behind the counter of the record store, blasting his music as the store had been empty for hours.

message 25: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

Marie stormed into the record shop, annoyed at herself for being so annoyed at the kid she barely knew. She scowled at an album nearby.

message 26: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

Eric didn't look up from the comic book he was reading. He probably didn't even notice the girl walk in. Or, at least, that was the impression he wanted to give.

message 27: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

Marie paused at a Bobby Darin album. She really did love Bobby Darin. "Such a hepcat," she whispered under her breath. Her irritation was subsiding.

message 28: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

Eric broke character and said, "If you wanna test it out, I can put it on the turntable for you." He'd been alone most of the day and talking to one girl wouldn't hurt his relaxation plan of comics and music in seclusion.

message 29: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

"You wouldn't mind?" Marie asked, determined to be polite in contrast to her mood.

message 30: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

"I'd probably mind," Eric said, with a grin, "but I can deal." He shrugged. "Also, this is a store and this is my job. Minor detail."

message 31: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

"Just because it'a a job doesn't mean you can't try to have some fun," Marie replied with a slight smile as he placed the record on the table. "Do you want to dance?"

message 32: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (last edited Feb 09, 2014 02:05PM) (new)

"I might want to dance," Eric said, letting his comic flip shut. "But wanting to do something does not mean you are good at it. And let me tell you, I'm terrible at almost every dance craze that's been in since the twenties."

message 33: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

"Make up your own then." Marie snapped her fingers as the music started, grinning.

message 34: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

Eric reluctantly came out from behind the counter and kind of stood next to Marie, tapping his foot and bobbing his head up and down. "Impressed yet?"

message 35: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

"Hmmm, I'm not quite ready to buy the album." Marie came forward and took his hand and helped him to spin her around. The music picked up and Bobby Darin's rich voice blared.

message 36: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

Eric was too surprised to shy away from the contact, but he could feel his heart rate starting to increase when his hands dropped. He tried to twist in time to the music, positive he looked like a complete idiot. He decided to stop caring.

message 37: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

Marie laughed quietly, feeling amused. She let go after a moment and danced by herself until the song ended. She breathed deeply. "That was nice. I'll take it."

message 38: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

"A sale!" Eric grinned, wide and unabashed. "Maybe I'll be able to keep this gig after all."

message 39: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

Marie began putting back the record in it's sheath. "Rough business? Or lack of?" She asked.

message 40: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

"I have the tendency to insult people's taste in music. Which is, apparently, not good salesmanship."

message 41: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

"And you didn't insult me? What sort of customer am I then?" Marie asked with a wink.

message 42: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

"The kind that's way outta my league?" Eric said. He knew this was how these interactions were supposed to go. Winking and cute remarks and whatever else the game called for. Girls had always been an object of befuddlement for him. He didn't care about them much, unless they wanted to talk comics or music or poetry and not do much of anything else.

message 43: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

"Woah! You're setting yourself up to lose before you even try." Marie sighed. "Fine, I understand this is a little unconventional for the girl to do the asking--but I've never been one for tradition--anyways, I need a date for the Spring Fling...would you...?"

message 44: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 09, 2014 04:54PM) (new)

Joel hesitated in front of the record store. He couldn't pretend he had enough money to go in there and buy anything with a clean conscience, but he enjoyed just looking. A small bell chimed as he swung the door open and ducked inside. Hands in his pockets, he meandered for a while, content to browse the shelves.

message 45: by Elliott, I LOVE PHINEAS AND FERB. (new)

"Um, go to a dance? With you?" Eric said, his eyebrows involuntarily raising. "Like one of those school ones with the cheesy music and decorations that are falling down and chaperons who try way too hard to be hip while the teenagers are doing the exact same thing?"

message 46: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 41 comments Rosalie stood on her toes to watch the new arrival in the record store. She caught glimpse of a dark boy heading through the aisles. She bit her lip, looking at the rows of records in front of her. She had seen him somewhere before, but where she couldn't remember.

message 47: by Mandy [AND I WOULD WALK 500 MILES], Because hot, angsty boys are my spirit animals. (new)

"Yeah, hey, I know you're too cool for school, but I promised my friend Sylvia I would go and I think we could maybe have a good time..."

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Joel continued strolling down the aisles, eyes skimming the art on the record covers. After a minute or two, he had become so focused on the displays that he missed running into a girl by just an inch or two. "My apologies, ma'am," he nodded. He idly wondered what she was looking for. Joel tended to stay in his own little world when it came to music and always meant to ask people about more popular artists.

message 49: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 41 comments She brushed off the accidental bump. "Say, don't I know you from somewhere?" she said brightly, placing her hands on her hips.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

"I don't know a whole lot of people," Joel admitted with a slight chuckle, "so I might be surprised if you did. You might know my brother, though. We do street performances sometimes. What was your name?"

« previous 1