White Fire (Pendergast, #13) White Fire discussion

Preston& Child

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kit (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kit Have any of you read these authors? How would you rate?

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I have read all their books featuring Agent Pendergast and I love them. They work well together as far as that character is concerned. Can hardly wait for the next one!

message 3: by Kit (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kit Thanks for the tip, Amy! I'll give them a try!

Cindy Ehrenreich Love the Pendergast series & their non Pendergast books. If you haven't read any yet start with Cabinets of Curiosity. That was a great book & a great place to begin.

message 5: by Kit (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kit Thank you, Cindy!

Meghan Kavanaugh Love their stuff, one of my favorites! Fantastic series, Pendergast is a very well written character. I started with Relic and have been working through them for years.

message 7: by Randall (new) - added it

Randall Christopher I agree with everyone else. Their books are entertaining and well written. You feel yourself get lost in the story. They are very talented writers. I love Pendergast as well.

Dawn I too love them and by chance started with Relic and glad I did. Not necessary to start at the beginning but it is still one of my favorites.

Janet Big fan, I read everything the put out. Part of the Pendergast fan group on FB and the Diogenes Book Club on FB. Read White Fire this Jan, followed it with Relic.

Sharon Cindy wrote: "Love the Pendergast series & their non Pendergast books. If you haven't read any yet start with Cabinets of Curiosity. That was a great book & a great place to begin."

Cindy wrote: "Love the Pendergast series & their non Pendergast books. If you haven't read any yet start with Cabinets of Curiosity. That was a great book & a great place to begin."
I have read the whole series so far Cabinet of Curiosity is my favorite..look forward to the next one

Shoshi Kit wrote: "Have any of you read these authors? How would you rate?"

Also, I am a huge fan of the authors. This book is as good as the other. A page turner. I read all of the Pendergast books and the alone-standing books too. The first book is " The Relique" introduces the main characters to the reader. Since it is a continuation, I advise to read them all.

Jennifer This book was super. I have read all of the series, do start at the beginning as the books build on characters and events as the series progresses.

Shoshi Am a huge fan myself of the authors. The characters are so unique, the action is full of twists and turns. But I admit to like the Pendergast series more and some of the stand alone books.

message 14: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark These writers are at their best when they write about the US and its past and find a way to fit it into a great thriller.

Blind buys for me each time.

this summer the New Gideon and the end of November the next Pendergast.

message 15: by M.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.D. Meyer They are far and away my favorite authors. The Pendergast series is excellent. I find the more recent Lincoln Child stand alone books better than the Douglas Preston stand alone books. I was surprised that their new Gidion series was not as interesting as the Pendergast series. But, in fairness, it would be hard to top Agent Pendergast.

Lorrie My first book by them has been "White Fire". It was fabulous. Listened to it on audio and the reader is very good.

message 17: by Jaksen (last edited Jun 01, 2014 07:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jaksen Love them. I often have a stack of books 'to read,' which include books I've won, books I get from the library, and others I've purchased. I read classics, literary, horror and I look seriously at the recommendations from friends here on goodreads, and from the goodreads staff themselves, but...

When I have a Preston/Child book in the stack, that's all I want to read. I've become sort of a fanatic - from which the word 'fan' was derived. hehe

They are so well-written, so articulate, so descriptive without it being a distraction. The dialogue is succinct and fits each character. The settings are bizarre but oh-so-real. (I love anything set in a museum - though not every book is set there.) The plots are dense and carefully written and I could go on and on...

And if you enjoyed 'White Fire' go back to Relic and read in order. Though many might claim 'Relic' and its sequel aren't the best which Preston/Child have written, they are great starting points and the scenes set in the museum? To die for. (Though I personally loved Relic. I plan to read it again and soon.)

Seriously. I am old and have read a lot. These are among my fav. books.

message 18: by Randall (new) - added it

Randall Christopher I love the Pendergast series, and I started it with Brimstone. I thought that was a good starting off point, though I didn't read anything before that one yet. I wouldn't read the series books out of order, as some of the Pendergast books have a three part sort of mini-series plotline. I have some of their other solo novels as well, and they are good too. However, none compare to when they write together.

message 19: by M.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.D. Meyer Randy wrote: "I love the Pendergast series, and I started it with Brimstone. I thought that was a good starting off point, though I didn't read anything before that one yet. I wouldn't read the series books ou..."

You're absolutely right. Separately they're good but together they're fantastic.

message 20: by Kit (last edited Jun 29, 2014 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kit Thank you all for your generous insights. I can't wait to get started with a series from these authors. I have gotten so enamored with audio books now, that I look forward to my commute to work with excitement! I am more recently trying out the Overdrive app with my iphone which lets you borrow from the library then plug in the phone to the car radio or listen with earbuds and go. The downloading of the book part is somewhat clunky but after that, it works great. Now I can walk or exercise while listening to a good book too!

message 21: by Alan (last edited Jul 01, 2014 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alan To Kit,

It was mentioned that you should start with Cabinet of Curiosities, but "Relic" is noted as the first book of the Pendergast series. This series of novels are a great read with lots of history, adventure, suspense and action throughout the entire book. This is a series that will keep you in suspense for more...

Kathy Cunningham They were wonderful early on -- not so much lately. I'm a huge fan of "Relic," "Riptide," and "Thunderhead," and I liked the early Pendergast novels ("Cabinet of Curiosities," "Still Life with Crows"), but in the last few years Preston and Child have become much more formulaic. The Gideon books are just awful -- little character development, three-page chapters, silly plot development. There's such a huge difference between these books and the early stuff.

I'd suggest starting with "Relic" (which is scary, well-written, and very exciting) and then keep reading until you get annoyed! I don't buy their books anymore, and that's too bad. But I do re-read my favorites every few years!

message 23: by L.G. (new) - rated it 3 stars

L.G. Except for the first two Pendergast novels, I have read all of the series. I am listening to the audiobook of Blue Labyrinth. I also read the Gideon books. I agree that the Gideon series is not as interesting as the Pendergast series.

Debbe I love these guys and read all of their joint efforts and some of their solo efforts. They are consistently great. I'm always anticipating the next one!