Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

James Clavell
This topic is about James Clavell
Serieses! > Please fix the Asian Saga order

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2 comments The Asian Saga is meant to be read in the order in which the stories take place, with Shogun starting things off. The current listing is a jumble, with both chronological and publication order shaken up.

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments It looks like the current listing is in publication order. I have added the chronology to the series description; if you'd like, I can also set up a secondary series linked to this one which numbers the books chronologically.

message 3: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Joseph wrote: "The Asian Saga is meant to be read in the order in which the stories take place, with Shogun starting things off. The current listing is a jumble, with both chronological and publication order shaken up. "

Where does it say meant to be read in the order in which the stories take place? Is there an official reading order somewhere?

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2 comments Banjomike wrote: "Joseph wrote: "The Asian Saga is meant to be read in the order in which the stories take place, with Shogun starting things off. The current listing is a jumble, with both chronological and public..."

The copy of Shogun I read actually had the proper order printed on the spine. Also, since it's snapshots of European encounters with Asia throughout history, it makes sense to read them in historical order.

message 5: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Joseph wrote: "The copy of Shogun I read actually had the proper order printed on the spine. Also, since it's snapshots of European encounters with Asia throughout history, it makes sense to read them in historical order."

I would usually read books in publication order. I've never yet seen a series of books that were improved by changing to the internal chronology.

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Joseph wrote: "The copy of Shogun I read actually had the proper order printed on the spine."

Hmm. If some of the editions are published with the chronological numbering on them, it would make sense to add a second series for that numbering. I'll get that set up....

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments The chronological series is here, by the way:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/1218...

Sorry, just realized that I never actually linked to it.

You won't see it on the book page next to the book title, but it will be listed in the more details section.