Best Teen Books discussion

Authors that Cross Age Groups

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J-Lynn (new)

J-Lynn (JVanPelt) | 19 comments I am putting together a project and need some help.

What are some great authors that don't write for just one age group or grade level? I am looking for authors whose writing spans from picture books through teens--who students can grow up with.

Some authors that I have thought of, include:
Jane Yolen
Jacqueline Woodson
Lloyd Alexander
Ursula LeGuin
Walter Dean Myers
Gary Soto
Pam Munoz Ryan

Who else?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments Philip Pullman
Sherman Alexie

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 5 comments Amy Tan has a picture book called The Moon Lady and The Joy Luck Club would be fine for teens but I don't know that she has any juvenile fiction.

message 4: by elissa (new)

elissa (LibrarianElissa) | 11 comments Cynthia Rylant, but she doesn't have a whole lot of teen stuff. Her book A KINDNESS is excellent, if you can find it.

message 5: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments James Lester
Kate DiCamillo
Gary Paulsen
Robert SanSouci
Mary Pope Osborne

message 6: by bjneary (new)

bjneary | 236 comments Sorry---JULIUS LESTER!!! not James.

message 7: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 16 comments Can't think of any others that go from picture book to adult, but for children's to adult these come to mind:

C. S. Lewis
Madeline L'Engle

message 8: by J-Lynn (new)

J-Lynn (JVanPelt) | 19 comments Thanks for the correction BJ. Any other ideas? Keep them coming!

message 9: by Stacy (last edited Mar 05, 2008 05:53PM) (new)

Stacy (stacylienemann) These don't go all the way from picture books to teens, but they do span age ranges:

Mo Willems
Nick Hornby
Judy Blume
Louise Erdrich
Lois Lowry
Neil Gaiman
Meg Rosoff

message 10: by Janet (new)

Janet Mitchell | 3 comments James Patterson started with adults and is now doing Y/A with his Maximum Ride Series.

message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan (janchief) | 10 comments Mod
Avi is another...

message 12: by Terry (new)

Terry Reschke (TerryReschke) | 4 comments I guess that would include myself. I have two books currently published. A Dragon's Birth a children's picture book. The Attic Above a Tween to adult mystery and many more to come.

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim | 47 comments Great list, Stacy! And I think that Kent Haruff is really good too for teens and adults.

message 14: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacylienemann) Dave Barry also goes from Juv-Adult

message 15: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (Stacy_G_K) | 8 comments Alice Hoffman, M.E. Kerr, and JC Oates have literally crossed the boundary. Some of my faves include Walter Dean Myers, Chris Crutcher, Christopher Paul Curtis, Ann Rinaldi and Donna Jo Napoli. In the past, my students have enjoyed Haven Kimmel's A Girl Called Zippy.

message 16: by Ren (new)

Ren | 1 comments Lots of teens read Jodi Picoult's adult books, because they are about teens.

message 17: by Dorian (new)

Dorian Johnson (dorian_tolivia) | 11 comments As a teen I agree that Jodi Picolt's adult books do cross the the age groups. I really enjoyed My Sister's Keeper, so.... :)

message 18: by Maya (new)

Maya (numerounochewylover) | 8 comments I second My Sister's Keeper; wonderful story.

message 19: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (booksandbows) | 17 comments I think that Sharon Creech's books span a wide age range as well as Secret Life of Bees and Harry Potter, of course.

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim | 47 comments The Secret Life of Bees is a great suggestion, Casy, as is Harry Potter. I'm reading Story of a Girl right now by Sara Zarr (she writes contemporary YA like I do) and it's just so wonderful. She's such a fresh, real voice!

message 21: by KareyLyn (new)

KareyLyn (KareyShane) | 5 comments I may have missed it in someone's comments, but:

Brian Jacques