The Sword and Laser discussion

A forgotten classic?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott Gordon Hullo everyone!

My partner found a "reading bingo" that we decided to use to choose books. Actually, we decided to black it out rather than just aim for 5 in a row. I'm using this as a way of refinding my love of science fiction and fantasy books, after taking a long absence from reading genre. (I mostly got lost in reading Dickens and books about him.)

I've started in the upper left corner with "A book with more than 500 pages" and am approaching the end of The Name of the Wind, which I'm enjoying every second of. The next category is "A forgotten classic." I thought I would come here and ask for any suggestions that fit this. I can think of many classics, but not any I would regard as "forgotten."

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time,

-Scott

message 2: by John (last edited Feb 05, 2014 06:36PM) (new)

John (johnred) Depending on who you ask, these may or may not be "forgotten"...but I think the vast majority of people --maybe even the majority of SF/F fans -- have probably not heard of them:

Davy
War With the Newts
We
The Slynx
Riddley Walker

message 3: by David (new)

David (dbigwood) I'm not sure it was ever remembered but Islandia is an excellent read. The Moon Pool is also not read very much these days. Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword is an excellent fantasy, my favorite book by him. Puck of Pook's Hill by Kipling is in the shadow of his other works and is a charming collection of stories and poems. Andrew Lang's collection of color fairy books are good reads. The volumes published earlier (Red, Blue) have the better stories. The stories got a bit thin and repetitious towards the end. She by Haggard is not forgotten but I'm not sure how often it's read these days.

message 4: by Michal (new)

Michal (michaltheassistantpigkeeper) | 294 comments Yeah, Islandia is the classic "forgotten classic." The Sorcerer's Ship is great, and should be more well-known than it is.

message 5: by Mark (last edited Feb 06, 2014 09:41AM) (new)

Mark Catalfano (cattfish) I hear this site knows about Forgotten Classics.

http://hcforgottenclassics.blogspot.com/

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6186 comments Yay, Julie!

message 7: by David (new)

David (dbigwood) +1 for The Sorcerer's Ship.

The Newcastle Forgotten Fantasy Library has some good choices.

James Branch Cabell was very popular and is now mostly forgotten. I don't care for his ironic style, but to each their own.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie Davis (juliedhc) Mark wrote: "I hear this site knows about Forgotten Classics.

http://hcforgottenclassics.blogspot.com/"

Thank you! :-)

message 9: by Joaquin (new)

Joaquin Garza | 37 comments I don't know if this should be considered a classic, but it's what I'm currently reading:

Silverlock - almost completely out of print, except for an annotated NESFA edition. Found it as a Kindle Daily Deal. Quite baroque and rambling.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott Gordon I've decided to go with War With the Newts. Thanks everyone!

message 11: by Tim (last edited Feb 18, 2014 04:15PM) (new)

Tim Alm | 34 comments Along the lines of forgotten classics new and old I came across this vlog. 18 Great Books You Probably Haven't Read. Round Ireland with a Fridge and The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacob Green as well as others sound very interesting.

message 12: by Noomninam (new)

Noomninam The Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake should be somewhere on your list. Unforgettable.

message 13: by library_jim (new)

library_jim | 212 comments Where can I see this bingo card? Sounds interesting...

message 14: by library_jim (new)

library_jim | 212 comments Oh. Just found this one: http://www.retreatbyrandomhouse.ca/20...

Looks like what you mentioned. Thanks.

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott Gordon That's it!