Write Your Heart Out ツ discussion

Randomness!!! > Tips to Writing

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (abilyssaxoxo) | 1290 comments use adjectives. also, you must feel the emotion when you are writing, ore your reader won't. just a tip

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 06, 2014 11:18PM) (new)

I have some weird tips and tricks that actually help me these last 5 years.

Always make sure these three things checked.
1. Music on
2. Phone off
3. Food available.

When you're in writer's block there are some tricks you can use.
1. Take a shower/bath/anything related to bathroom.
2. If you're typing with computer, open a new document and start doing free writing, just write anything that popped out from your head and DON'T even think about looking at the screen and redoing it. Focus on your mind and your keyboard only.
3. Go laying on the bed, floor, sofa, whatever. The ideas usually comes out eventually.
4. Go outside, take a walk, ride a bike, for me I ride motorcycle.

And here's some tips to write a nice story.
1. Make readers think. The best book is a book that keeps the readers wondering until the very end.
2. Remember, this is not a book for you. You might like the ideas and how you tell your story but you have to think like your readers. You could've build a perfect scene inside your head, but novel readers aren't mind readers.
3. Be spesific. I spend 3 days just to make names for all my characters. Because I want every detail of them to be as real as possible. And never ever put too many characters more than you actually need. You also can't throw everything in the main character's shoulder, that's why we have baddass sidekicks.

Oh I also have some tips to create a main character that is not a Mary-sue/Gary-sue. It's actually pretty simple, know how writers tend to imagine theirshelves as the main character when they write a story? Well, for me, I imagine myself as the sidekick, less important characters, or anything but the main character. When you see a certain person from that point of view, it helps to create more humanity in that person.

Last but not least is never ever be afraid to ask for opinion and con-crit.

message 3: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (abilyssaxoxo) | 1290 comments write for yourself. if you write for other people, it loses its value

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Make sure not to be too repetitive with your words. People tend to use the word "I" a lot(If they're writing in first person, that is.) replace those "i's with thoughts and other text, before putting another I in there.

That didn't make sense did it?>.<

message 5: by beth (new)

beth (beth01) Yes it did!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

message 7: by beth (new)

beth (beth01) Um, have fun with it. If you don't enjoy what you are writing, there is no point. Write what you want to write about, whether that be sci-fi, horror or something personal, make sure you want to write about it!

message 8: by Neha (new)

Neha (neha71580) Those are some really good tips!
One more tip is to NEVER use 'backspace' while writing. Just write the whole thing down whenever a story or a part of the story comes to your mind. This advice is kind of similar to the first one, but I've noticed people use 'backspace' A Lot. Sometimes the first sentence could be better than the corrected one.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep, that's why I called it 'free writing'.

Oh, and if there's anything I've learned from these years, is that... Readers love originality, but they also prefer to read something that familiar to them. It's okay to be a little bit cliché, good writers know how to put their marks.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Dang, I wrote for other people sometimes. That doesn't really affect the values. Like I said, put your mark on your work.

message 11: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Shriver (roxannexshriver) Rea wrote: "I have some weird tips and tricks that actually help me these last 5 years.

Always make sure these three things checked.
1. Music on
2. Phone off
3. Food available.

When you're in writer's block ..."

I am so using these tips!

message 12: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (abilyssaxoxo) | 1290 comments for Rea- y if those people are important to your life, then of course it doesn't lose its value:)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha, sometimes I just write for request randomly. I barely know them.

message 14: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (abilyssaxoxo) | 1290 comments lol okay. I guess it's different for other people

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, but with more experiences, you can write easily, for any purpose. I learn alot from writing scripts, it really helps.

message 16: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (abilyssaxoxo) | 1290 comments when I write, I have to have a purpose and it's usually relating to my life or my emotions. and when I write for people I care about, that's focused on emotions, so...yeah that's what I meant

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Obviously, writing without emotions is like a bag of potato chips. Full of air, few actual chips.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 07, 2014 06:44PM) (new)

God, now I want potato chips.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Sort of.