What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Looking for a series of comic books about fairies

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bahar (new)

Bahar | 25 comments I'm looking for some comic books that I read when I was in middle school 90-93. I borrowed them from my friend, so I don't know if they were new when I read them or older.
I remember that the main character was a female fairy. That there wasn't anything graphic in them (my parents were very particular). They were definitely comic books. From what I remember the art was very attractive and colorful. It didn't look to cartoony.

Sadly that's all I remember. I've been looking for years, and can't find anything.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments While searching I keep running into thee ElfQuest series. I think there may be faries in it.
https://www.goodreads.com/series/5449...

If not this, do you remember if the books were the flimsy paper-cover types that you could buy from the checkout line? Or, was it bound like a book (with a spine and many pages)?

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
OK Bahar--I'm going to recommend a rather unique place to ask about your book. http://faeriecon.com/ This is an annual convention about all things Faerie. Someone who attends it might be able to help you. If only to help you eliminate some things.

message 4: by Bahar (new)

Bahar | 25 comments they were flimsy paper and thin. they looked like the traditional comic books at the comic book store.

message 5: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Not the XXX ones by Kondom?

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 21 comments Feliks wrote: "Not the XXX ones by Kondom?"

Definitely NOT the OP said they were NOT GRAPHIC as parents were very particular (I'm guessing about anything that would be too adult for their teen)

I'm thinking it might be something that is similar to "Elfquest" already mentioned.

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick Churetta | 7 comments Bahar wrote: "I'm looking for some comic books that I read when I was in middle school 90-93. I borrowed them from my friend, so I don't know if they were new when I read them or older.
I remember that the ma..."

Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 It's anime so im not sure if that's what you mean. The people are sort of like faries.

message 8: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments Thinking maybe one of the The Books of Faerie might be it.

message 9: by Bahar (new)

Bahar | 25 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "OK Bahar--I'm going to recommend a rather unique place to ask about your book. http://faeriecon.com/ This is an annual convention about all things Faerie. Someone who attends it might be able to he..."

Thanks for the suggestion Ann. I will check it out.

message 10: by Bahar (new)

Bahar | 25 comments D.M. wrote: "Thinking maybe one of the The Books of Faerie might be it."

The Faerie books were published in 1997. The ones I'm looking for were definitely before 93.
They look interesting though and I plan to read them. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

message 11: by Bahar (new)

Bahar | 25 comments Nick wrote: "Bahar wrote: "I'm looking for some comic books that I read when I was in middle school 90-93. I borrowed them from my friend, so I don't know if they were new when I read them or older.
I rememb..."

Thanks for the suggestion Nick. These look interesting, but they are too recent to be what I'm looking for.

message 12: by Bahar (new)

Bahar | 25 comments So far Elf Quest seems the most possible. The art looks similar to what I remember. Thanks for the suggestion Tab & Kirk. I'm going to try and find some issues of Elf Quest to see if it jogs my memory.

message 13: by Bahar (new)

Bahar | 25 comments I read the first 5 Elf Quest compilation books and am pretty sure it's not what I'm looking for.

message 14: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments The main character isn't a fairy, but could it be AMETHYST Princess of Gemworld, #1?

message 15: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments Hi, Bahar
A few more questions that may jog your memory :)

Do you think the comic was based off of a TV show/cartoon/celebrity/pop culture icon? I remember the 80s/90s was the time when almost everything had its own comic book.

Also, do you remember if it was targeted towards girls, boys, or both?

Silly question, but do you remember if it had any advertisements inside? It may help pinpoint the comic's publishing date if you can think of any of the products advertised inside.

Hope we can solve this one. I'm always interested in comics/graphic novels from the 90s (nostalgia for me).

message 16: by Bahar (new)

Bahar | 25 comments Hi Tab,
I don't think that the comic books tied in with a tv show or anything, but if the comics were old when I read them I probably wouldn't know.

I think that it was geared towards girls. I remember the art being very pretty.

I honestly don't remember any ads at all.

I appreciate all the help I'm getting on this. I'm starting to think that I might be delusional. I'm even trying to find the friend that I borrowed these from 20 years ago to see if she remembers them.

message 17: by Erika (new)

Erika (escilas) | 43 comments http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faerie_(...

I came across this comic. It was published back in 1990. Hope you find what you're looking for :)

message 18: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 946 comments I bet that's it, in which case D.M.'s suggestion was spot on. According to the wikipedia article, DC released the 3 books as a prequel spin-off.

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Bahar, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Bahar, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 3 years. Moving to Abandoned.