Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Archives > March 2014 Group Read/Listen

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sweetp-1 (last edited Feb 27, 2014 12:10PM) (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments For our March Group Read we're going to try something a little different! Instead of having a BOTM we're going to have a month dedicated to listening to books.

The theme for March is audiobooks. You can listen to any book you like, in any genre - NZ-centric, or not.

Please use this thread to share books you have enjoyed listening to in the past, books you would like to listen to for this group read/listen, information about where you get your audiobooks from, your favourite narrator/s or anything else related to audiobooks and listening to books.

I will move this thread to the group reads folder when March rolls round but for now use this thread to help get your playlists organised :)

Participating:
Sharlene
Darkpool
Ella's Gran
Angie
Sweetp
Kathleen

message 2: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Where do you get your audiobooks from?

If you like YA literature then I highly recommend the Sync summer progamme. http://www.audiobooksync.com/
Every (US) summer they run a programme of free audibooks - usually 2 books each week, one a classic, and one contemporary. The books don't expire from your overdrive system so you can download and then listen at your leisure. In the past they have had some really interesting books; one year they featured Whale Rider, last summer included an essay by Martin Luther King, sometimes there is Shakespeare. This summer's list is already up and there is a great mix. You can sign up to get an email when the programme starts.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1476 comments Great idea. And thanks for the Sync link.

I'm in.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Count me in! I'd love some recommendations as I've only ever 'read' a handful of audiobooks in my adult life.

message 5: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments I listen to audio books on my iPad usually on my way to and from work, so they're mostly light reading, which I borrow from the library through the Epukapuka Overdrive section. My library doesn't have the same subscription as Auckland libraries so the range of titles are somewhat limited by comparison - I often look at their selection just to torture myself. Because they have to be in MP3 format for the iPad that generally halves my choice. I've not purchased any to date, but if I were going to it would more likely be through Audible.com than itunes - they're quite a lot more expensive.

Recently I finished A House in Sicily a memoir written by a woman who inherited a house in Sicily. It was like a set of short stories about the region, people, events and fitted well for the purpose travelling. I enjoyed it very much.

I have also read
The End of Your Life Book Club
and a few light mysteries
Wicked Autumn
The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Crewel World
The Lost Hours
One Good Turn
Death of an Artist: A Mystery

So I shall join in with audio reads for March.

message 6: by Sweetp-1 (last edited Feb 06, 2014 01:17AM) (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments I use the Northland library system as well which uses the Overdrive console. I miss the ChCh libraries so much :(

Last year I listened to the Harry Potter books read by Stephen Fry which were excellent.
Another stand out was The Night Circus read by Jim Dale. His voice suited the dreamy nature of the book superbly!

Um. I listen to a lot, trying to remember some other good ones. People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks was awesome as an audiobook.

message 7: by Sweetp-1 (last edited Feb 06, 2014 01:24AM) (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments If you like YA I also recommend If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman If I stay by Gail Forman, it's quite sad but the MC plays the cello (violin? cant remember now) and there are lovely intercepts of music.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher - also a bit of a sad one but really well done on audio as the MC records her story on cassettes and there are great "tape" sound effects

Feed by M.T. Anderson Feed by MT Anderson was also amazing as an audio. The premise is that eventually everyone will get "internet" direct to their brain via the feed. Over time the feed has degenerated to basically just jingles and advertising and this is what plays on the audio at chapter changes, brilliantly done.

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Maggie Stiefvater is one of my favourite YA authors and the audio of this one is superb.

message 8: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments The only titles out of your assortment that we have available are the Harry Potter ones - well some of them:( Since you recommend them I'll add them to my list.

It seems like the libraries in the lower North Island Overdrive subscription consortium have a small collection compared to the upper NI group. I might have to start suggesting purchases! Just looked for People of the Book and they haven't got that either - sigh!

message 9: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Zombies your thing?
We're Alive A Story of Survival, the First Season by K.C. Wayland
This is actually a podcast which you can d/l for free from itunes. They have packaged each season as an audiobook so it is actually listed as a book on GR.
A bit of a different format - unlike traditional audiobooks that have 1 or 2 narrators this has a full cast and 'cinematic' sound effects. This is not like having a book read to you, more like listening to a movie without the pictures.
Anyway I love Walking Dead so this is right up my alley and is a great podcast if you like books about zombies and post apocalyptic fiction.

message 10: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments Sweetp-1 wrote: "... People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks was awesome as an audiobook."

Oh yes! I listened to that last year. It was wonderful.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks, too. I like to listen in the car, and also while doing housework. I use the library (Auckland library is amazing since the supercity amalgamation). CDs are usually more flexible than overdrive download, but you can't beat the instant gratification of a download!

Some of my favourites have been:
A Guide to the Birds of East Africa
Eagle in the Snow
Book of Lost Threads
The Fall of Troy

Also very fond of Moondust and Penguins Stopped Play: Eleven Village Cricketers Take on the World, but I suspect my fascination with the subject matter had a lot to do with my enjoyment factor

message 11: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments Oh, and The Fault in Our Stars was great on audiobook (if there is anyone left out there who hasn't read it yet...)

message 12: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Water for Elephants was great as an audio - 2 narrators, one for old jacob, one for young. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

message 13: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Other places to get audiobooks:

www.audible.com
Direct from the publisher e.g Blackstone Audio has a consumer stream http://www.downpour.com/
Librivox.org - volunteers reading books that are in the public domain. I havent used so can't personally vouch for this site.

If you are looking on the internet be sure to use a reputable site and make sure your computer virus and bot software is up to date :)

message 14: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) wrote: "Oh, and The Fault in Our Stars was great on audiobook (if there is anyone left out there who hasn't read it yet...)"

I haven't! I am too much of a wuss!

message 15: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments Sweetp-1 wrote: "Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) wrote: "Oh, and The Fault in Our Stars was great on audiobook (if there is anyone left out there who hasn't read it yet...)"

I haven't! I am too..."

Me neither!

message 16: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) wrote: "Sweetp-1 wrote: "... People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks was awesome as an audiobook."

I listen to a lot of audiobooks, too. I like to l..."

Sweetp-1 wrote: "Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) wrote: "Oh, and The Fault in Our Stars was great on audiobook (if there is anyone left out there who hasn't read it yet...)"

I haven't! I am too..."

Me neither!

message 17: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments Darkpool (protesting GR censorship) wrote: "Sweetp-1 wrote: "... People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks was awesome as an audiobook."

I listen to a lot of audiobooks, too. I like to l..."

Oooo Darkpool, I am so green with envy! I have just checked our libraries and only one of these titles is available as an audio book and that's only on Overdrive but in WMA format which is no good for the iPad!

message 18: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments Sweetp-1 wrote: "Other places to get audiobooks:

www.audible.com
Direct from the publisher e.g Blackstone Audio has a consumer stream http://www.downpour.com/
Librivox.org - volunteers reading books that are in th..."

I have used Librivox. It has improved a lot since the 'early days' in that there is more than one format to download in, or you can stream. I've only come across one reader I considered poor in the half dozen or so books I've listened to. She only read the intro and first chapter in that particular book, so I persevered. She was clear enough but she read each word individually and in a monotone. Needless to say I've avoided that reader ever since.

message 19: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments I probably should leave this until next month, but I just can't! I'm listening to the first Harry Potter book Sweetp-1 and just lov'n Peter Fry.

message 20: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments I listened to them all last year and really enjoyed revisiting the whole series. They were really enjoyable as audios. You;ll just have to listen to the rest in March ;)

message 21: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Everyone got something to listen to during March? ...I must sort this today lol

message 22: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1476 comments I've got two books out on Audio for March - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and The Good Husband of Zebra Drive. I probably got too enthusiastic about reserving them at the library, but I didn't want somebody else to get them out - so they're both due back on 15th March. I might start listening to one of them tonight as I've got some knitting to sew up (a pinafore for Ivy for her 3rd birthday).

I looked up a book recently and almost got it on e-Audio, but had the option to listen to a bit and didn't like the narrator at all. I think it was The Tale of Halcyon Crane. Having a look through my list of Audio Books I'm spotting a possible pattern - of the ones voiced by American narrators I've only liked one (that was Sissy Spacek reading To Kill a Mockingbird). Does this make me possibly prejudiced? I'm a 'voicist'! Mind you, I'm only a 2-year-old Audio Book listener and have a mere 11 listened to, so that's hardly enough to take proper statistics off.

I tell a lie - I just remembered another that I'd forgotten to put on my Audio-Book shelf. I loved Caleb's Crossing - so that's 2 out of 7 U.S. narrators liked (and 12 books total).

message 23: by Sharlene (last edited Feb 28, 2014 07:30PM) (new)

Sharlene (sharlenehuriwai) | 584 comments Mod
I've listened to a few books on audio. I am a member of audible but looking to cancel that as the libraries increase their audio range online.

Its taking me forever to listen to Life of Pi. I tend to pick books that I know I'll never read because they are too fat!
Hmmm will have to pick something that I will listen to in a month.

message 24: by Sharlene (last edited Feb 28, 2014 07:30PM) (new)

Sharlene (sharlenehuriwai) | 584 comments Mod
I forgot to read The Luminaries over the Summer so I've got an audible copy of that too.

message 25: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments I have moved this thread to the group reads area. Just use this thread to discuss any book/s you have listened to during March :)

message 26: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments I must visit my library at some stage over the next week and grab an audio book. I'm a bit behind with everything at the moment!!

message 27: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Love 'em. All those hours in cars and planes where I could plug in to a great actor reading a favourite book. Heaven.

Am planning to read my own books and make ipod downloads available at my website. A nice winter task.

message 28: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments P.d.r. wrote: "Love 'em. All those hours in cars and planes where I could plug in to a great actor reading a favourite book. Heaven.

Am planning to read my own books and make ipod downloads available at my websi..."

Go you! That is very cool!

message 29: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments I'm halfway through I Am Half-Sick Of Shadows, with Sophie Aldred the reader. She does a quite convincing 10 1/2 year old girl! Unsure what I'll go on with after that.

message 30: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments Ha! and then suddenly the library request I thought I'd have to wait until the end of the month for is available! Once I finish "half sick of shadows", I'll be going on to Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1). I have read the first few chapters, but thought I'd try the audio version seeing as the library has it.

message 31: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments I've requested the audio version of 84, Charing Cross Road from my library. I'm #1 in line, so it should get to me pretty promptly. The only issue is that the radio, including CD player, in my car has not been working since I took my car into the garage on Thursday. It's heading back there this Wednesday, so they better be able to fix it and the $1200 problem it's actually there for!

message 32: by Lesley (last edited Feb 28, 2014 11:40PM) (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments I've got
Death Qualified - A Mystery of Chaos by Kate Wilhelm downloaded to go after I have finished
Latte Trouble by Cleo Coyle which I started this morning.

I also have the next Harry Potter on reserve
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
I expect that to become available in the next 2 weeks.

message 33: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Darkpool - will be interested what you think of the Silo books. I got caught in the Silo during January and read Wool, Shift and Dust right through. They are quite good.

message 34: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Meanwhile I have yet to actually sort something for myself!

message 35: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1476 comments Angie wrote: "I've requested the audio version of 84, Charing Cross Road from my library. I'm #1 in line, so it should get to me pretty promptly. The only issue is that the radio, including CD play..."

I took my car in last year (or the year before) for the transmission - that got fixed to the tune of $4000 but my radio/CD got lost along the way. I needed some Code to reactivate it, but nobody could help me with that!

message 36: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Aargh! That's probably what's happened with my car, Kathleen. Frustrating! Especially considering that work is a 20 minute drive from my house, and the supermarket another ten minutes on top of that. I can easily spend an hour in my car per day. It's amazing where my mind drifts without my stereo!

message 37: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments I have finished listening to Latte Trouble by Cleo Coyle, reader Rebecca Gibel.
Listened to others in this series. It's a good light read for travelling to work. I like the reader. She gets into character for each person so not a lot of need for 'she said'.

I have nearly finished Death Qualified - A Mystery of Chaos by Kate Wilhelm read by Anna Fields. This reader has a naturally deep voice for a female, and when she speaks the man's role it takes you by surprise initially. I soon became used to it though. She has differing tones for the various characters, male and female, so it's easy to distinguish who is speaking.

Like others of Kate Wilhelm's I've listened to, it's quite detailed. Probably more of a psychological thriller but not too scary. There is a point reached where you can't leave it alone. I have reached that point.

message 38: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments I am finally getting sorted. I am in the process of DL "Labor Day" by Joyce Maynard. This has just been made into a movie starring Kate Winslet and it looked really good so am hoping the book is too :)

message 39: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1476 comments Thanks, ladies! I've just added another half-dozen books to my to-read list :-). They're not going to happen this month though :-(.

I've just finished The Good Husband of Zebra Drive read by Adjoa Andoh (beautifully), and have started listening to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which I have fallen instantly in love with.

message 40: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Guernsey is SUCH a great book. It gets really sad just to warn you...have tissues!

message 41: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments Finished I Am Half-Sick of Shadows. Didn't love it as much as the previous books in the series, and kind of wish I'd listened to it at Xmas time (as it is set at Christmas, and there's a bit of carol singing) Ah well. Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) is already in the CD player, woot!!

message 42: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Couldn't get into Wool. Did find driving and listening to Dick Francis most distracting!!!!! Had to stop to listen to the final chapter!

message 43: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1476 comments Sweetp-1 wrote: "Guernsey is SUCH a great book. It gets really sad just to warn you...have tissues!"

Oh dear! Thanks for the warning.

message 44: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Guernsey was a bit too candy floss for me, very sweet.
Fun read though.

Anyone listened to Terry Pratchett's novels?

message 45: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments Catching up here with what I've listened to since my last post.

A Question of Honor by Charles Todd reader Rosalyn Landor
I enjoyed this book set in Britain, London in fact and naturally the reader is British. She is very clear and quite pleasant to listen to, though a little different from the American females. Reminded me a bit of listening to Among the Mad by Jacqueline Winspear.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling reader Stephen Fry
This is like discovering the Harry Potter series all over again. So much different having someone read it to you (instead of you reading it to someone as I did) and when that someone is Stephen Fry - well the book comes alive. Harry Potter was just made for Stephen Fry to read. WONDERFUL

I'm currently listening to The Lemon Orchard by Luanne Rice and read by Blair Brown.
I think this will probably be the last for this month's group read/listen, although I've just seen the next in the Harry Potter series has arrived for download! Might have to let it go, but we'll see.

I've been quite lucky with all the books I've listened to so far in that I've not hit a dud reader. Listening to books takes me back to a time period most of you probably don't even know about, let alone remember. That being when we used to listen to books serialised over the radio. Loved it. :)

message 46: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments Angie wrote: "Aargh! That's probably what's happened with my car, Kathleen. Frustrating! Especially considering that work is a 20 minute drive from my house, and the supermarket another ten minutes on top of tha..."

How did you get on with your car Angie? Hope you got the stereo fixed as well as the mechanicals.

message 47: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Car all fixed. Bill received - a little under 4 digits. Have organised for stereo to be sorted today. They just need a code and a spare five minutes. No cost fortunately. So now I'm just waiting for my audio book to come into the library.

message 48: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments Angie wrote: "Car all fixed. Bill received - a little under 4 digits. Have organised for stereo to be sorted today. They just need a code and a spare five minutes. No cost fortunately. So now I'm just waiting fo..."

Good about the stereo. Not so good about the 4 digits.

message 49: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments I agree about HP. I relistened to them last year and was absolutely riveted.

I am about halfway through Labor Day. It is good, I will def watch the movie when it comes on sky box office. I am picturing Josh Brolin and Kate Winslet in my head as I listen!
My only gripe is the narrator is a young boy going through puberty and there is ALOT of focus on sex and those bodily functions associated with puberty. I am no prude but its just getting a bit overdone/boring at this point.

message 50: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments Funny sight to be seen this afternoon. Me having to pull to the side of the road to mop the tears. I was listening to The Lemon Orchard - no contains really emotional bits warning.

Anyway, nearly finished as I can't stop listening, so off to bed to finish it. Should start third HP book on the way to work tomorrow.

« previous 1