You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Preparation > March 2014 Theme Nominations

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AmyK (last edited Feb 05, 2014 02:19PM) (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1044 comments Time for theme nominations for March!!

Nominations will close Feb 10th

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 1680 comments Books featuring Ireland seems to be a good place to start for a March nomination.

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Feb 06, 2014 06:48AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments The 2014 Arctic Winter Games are being held in Fairbanks, Alaska in March. Part of the games are dog mushing and traditional Dene sports. I'll nominate books about indigenous people from any country.

message 4: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2429 comments Vernal (Spring) Equinox is March 20 - so how about books related to spring.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

How about something set somewhere dry, or during a drought, or a long hot summer. Seeing it really really isn't dry here...

message 6: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments The Oscars are on March 3rd. How about a book that was turned into a movie?

message 7: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments March 8 is international women's day. How about books with strong female protagonists, either fiction or non-fiction?

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I like the indigenous peoples idea! And the female protagonist!

Just been looking at "national days" in March for some inspiration and I had to laugh - "National Pig Day" Susie?! It recognises and gives thanks to domesticated pigs! Love it!

Another crazy one, on 14th March it is National Pi day because it is 3.14! So I'd like to nominate popular science/maths. Quite a number of people on here have read some interesting sounding books recently that fit in to this category (I'm thinking Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers) and I feel like I'm missing out but not sure where to start.

message 9: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Feb 06, 2014 02:26AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments At my old work we used to hold Pi Day celebrations. Usually involved pie eating competitions (meat pies)

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2609 comments Mmmmmmmmm PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ::rubs belly::

message 11: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Yay pigs. Let's have pigs.
Oink oink

message 12: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Re pi day - back to my books with numbers in the title

message 13: by AmyCynthia (new)

AmyCynthia (amy011883) | 146 comments Another vote for strong female protagonists!

message 14: by Michelle T. (new)

Michelle T. (chely1217) | 148 comments I like the Oscars idea and the female protagonist...
Maybe both in a book... and we can include the pies!!! :D

message 15: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3625 comments Sarah and Suzie, did you see that tomorrow is National Crown Roast of Pork Day? Does that mean that after we give thanks to domesticated pigs on March 1, we eat them on March 7th? That just seems so wrong.

message 16: by Michelle T. (new)

Michelle T. (chely1217) | 148 comments LOL!!! :D

message 17: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments I think that's a great idea, celebrate them alive then celebrate them in out tummies. Apple sauce and crackling anyone?

message 18: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2609 comments Keep the apple sauce for me, but crackling? OH YES PLEASE!

message 19: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments After this, I bought a pork roast for tomorrow. I do not care it will be 36 degrees. I want crackling dammit!!

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Does anyone else love scrapple? I'm one of those weirdos. :))

message 21: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I can't think of anything and like many that have been nominated. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Looking forward to the poll.

message 22: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments Okay. I'll bite. Scrapple?

message 23: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2609 comments Scrapple - traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices.

message 24: by Laura (last edited Feb 07, 2014 05:15AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments It sounds gross but it tastes so good. Of course I didn't know my body hated corn and wheat, but I used to eat it quite a lot before I found out...I still miss it. I don't seem to tolerate the meat of animals who eat corn either, so even bacon is pretty much out for me now. :(((

Anyway, if you haven't tried scrapple, Rusalka, it is wonderful.

message 25: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments So like a pork fat and bits pancake almost, crossed with bubble and squeak I guess?

Thank you for the education, never ever heard of that. I may need to go look at Dad's 60-70 year old version of "The Yorkshire Farmhouse Cookbook" on my shelf to see if it's in there.

And that's lame on the non-corn feed animals Laura. That's very hard to avoid.

message 26: by Laura (last edited Feb 07, 2014 05:36AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Thanks, it is very lame, and corn is in everything here in the States that is in any type of packaging. I have to buy organic and look for products without citric acid (and tons of other additives), which is almost always corn. It's very hard to avoid. I'm down to grass-fed beef at this point.

Not sure if this will open for you. I couldn't find a good recipe, but here's a pic, at least.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scrap...

I'm not sure what bubble and squeak is lol, but it's pretty much a pancake in the shape of a rectangle, of all the pork bits, as you said. :)

message 27: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2609 comments Love bubble and squeak!

A traditional British dish made with the pan-fried leftover vegetables from a roast dinner. The main ingredients are potato and cabbage but any veg can be put into the mix.

Hhhmmm hang on, what is the point of this thread again? lol

message 28: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments Oh bubble and squeak is all your leftovers (veggies, meat, etc) chopped into little pieces and mixed with mashed potato (instead of flour in yours) and fried.

For some reason I had you in the UK not the US. Avoiding corn is a much bigger problem over there! Here in Aus we rarely use corn syrup for example as a sweetener, we use cane sugar as that's what we grow. I understand that most things are sweetened with corn syrup though in the States?

We buy organic, free range and locally produced here when we can anyway. But it is more expensive (esp for meat) so I understand it can be a pain to find and expensive. At least we alway have a choice. I would be stuffed if my income went down and I couldn't eat certain meats though.

message 29: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments Lynn wrote: "Hhhmmm hang on, what is the point of this thread again? lol "

You and your relevance. Pffft.:P

message 30: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I love bubble and squeak but haven't had it since I was a kid! I might have to cook too much veg at the weekend to give me a reason to make some!

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 2864 comments Rusalka wrote: "Oh bubble and squeak is all your leftovers (veggies, meat, etc) chopped into little pieces and mixed with mashed potato (instead of flour in yours) and fried.

For some reason I had you in the UK n..."

Lots of packaged things are sweetened with corn syrup here, yeah. Almost anytime corn is added, it's also genetically modified (here, anyway), making it even more horrible for anyone to eat, including the animals who are fed it.

Thanks for the bubble and squeak explanations, lol. Sorry for the off topic! :)

message 32: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments ROFL! You have to love when a thread goes off the rails so completely!

message 33: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments lol sorry. I'm such a bad mod.

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48740 comments Me too!

message 35: by CatWrangler (new)

CatWrangler | 34 comments He, he, not only I've got hungry while reading the above posts but I have a feeling that we're gonna read cookbooks in March, lol.

message 36: by Michelle T. (new)

Michelle T. (chely1217) | 148 comments So, have we made any progress???

message 37: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17065 comments Nominations are still open until US today. So last chance to nominate something, otherwise we move on to voting :)

message 38: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15084 comments Based on pi-day it would also be appropiate to read books that center around food or cooking.

So many great suggestions this month, it's going to be hard to pick just one!