Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Tangents/Off-Topic Discussions > Anyone watching Bitten?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave Brink (DaviousB) | 21 comments I stumbled over the first episode of this on Syfy channel, accidentally, and was kind of thrilled. It's based on Kelly Armstrong's Woman of the Otherworld series, which is a great urban fantasy series with considerable sexy times. (OK, pandering)

Laura Vandervoort seems really well cast as Elena, Not sure yet about Clay, but it's only three episodes in.

Just wanted to mention this because it seems up this group's alley, and I hate when great shows fizzle out because no one has heard of them. Yes, Firefly . . . still.

Margo - Putting the Mmmmmm back in Menage | 40 comments Thanks for posting this! I had no idea Bitten was on Syfy. I'm going to check it out.

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
It's on Space in Canada. You can get caught up here:
http://www.space.ca/Bitten.aspx

Margo - Putting the Mmmmmm back in Menage | 40 comments Yeah, my first sight of Clay is not inspiring. I'm giving him a chance though.

message 5: by Feral (new)

Feral | 22 comments I have a tendency to make fun of "girly" TV Elena and her perpetual pink makeup, but I like her better when she is with the Danvers. I'm liking the TV version so far, even if they are downplaying her sexy times with Clay and putting more love scenes with the human boyfriend in the story. The main story is pretty close to the books so far.

Margo - Putting the Mmmmmm back in Menage | 40 comments Ok, I've watched the first episode. So far Clay is better than I expected, but Jeremy is awful. Where did they find that guy? And I agree with Feral that Elena is a bit too girly. The Stonehaven house is perfect! I liked the first episode and have high hopes for the rest. Please, please, please let them stick close to the books and not do something annoying.

message 7: by Moarbooxpls (new)

Moarbooxpls | 18 comments I'm enjoying it so far. Really enjoyed the most recent episode and look forward to the coming ones.

message 8: by Rio (new)

Rio (minxxa) I'm liking it so far as well. I am definitely giving it time because it ALWAYS takes time for people to get comfy in their roles and really get into some good storytelling and discussion. I like Clay a lot more further on as well-- it just takes time I think. And, Elena was described (if memory serves) as looking kind of like a "cheerleader"-- and her actual personality was a contrast. I might be wrong on that, though, my last reread was a few years back...

message 9: by Feral (last edited Feb 06, 2014 11:19AM) (new)

Feral | 22 comments As I recall, Elena's good looks in the books were natural. Maybe she was a "cheerleader" in the sense of being fit, but with her history the last thing she would do is make herself look sexually charged and attract more sexual attention than she already gets. When I read the books, I thought of her running in sweats and living mostly in jeans and not adding anything girly like short dresses or shiny pink makeup (which TV Elena wears to bed and puts on as soon as she changes back from wolf, despite having no makeup bag). It's a small thing, but it stuck out to me and now I can't help but notice it. I like the way they dress TV Elana when she is with the Danvers but I don't like how they dress her in Toronto. Again, it's not something that is going to stop me from watching, but every so often I am distracted by it and I have to laugh.

I thought the actor who plays Clay is too cuddly to be scary, but I'm going with it. I liked Jeremy at first, but he doesn't look at all Asian (not even part) does he? I can live with this cast though.

I also hope they stick fairly close to the books. *crosses fingers*

message 10: by Jesyka (new)

Jesyka James (jesykajames) | 1 comments I disliked the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong, but I am really loving the show Bitten. I love the changes they have made so far, and I think they did a really great job with the cast. :)

Margo - Putting the Mmmmmm back in Menage | 40 comments I've watched the first 4 episodes and it's fairly good. Of course it's not going to be perfectly like the books b/c everyone who reads the book pictures the characters/incidents is going to picture them differently. I bought a pass on Amazon to get the episodes every week.

I did a quick look in my copy of the book, and Elena is supposed to look like a cheerleader, but she usually has her hair in a ponytail and doesn't wear makeup. She's also a journalist. TV Elena sleeps in eyeliner and fake eyelashes. She's also works as a model. They definitely girlified her for TV. I'm sure someone told Kelley Armstrong it had to be done. Honestly, it's a bit insulting kind of like all those photshopped magazine covers.

I see Kelley Armstrong is an executive producer on the TV show so I'm hopeful she keeps them on the straight and narrow. Obviously she's already given in on Jeremy and Elena's appearance. Hopefully the storyline will stay true though.

message 12: by Feral (new)

Feral | 22 comments Yep. I'm sure Kelley picks her battles and makes allowances for TV. This quote from a much later book kind of sums up how I think of Elena.

"There stood the world's only female werewolf, a title that sounds more like it should describe a circus freak show than the blond woman in the doorway. Tall and lean, Elena Michaels had a werewolf's typically athletic build and the kind of wholesome good looks that cause men to say things like 'wow, if she dolled herself up, she could be a knockout'. Those who dared say such things, though, were more likely to find themselves knocked out. 'Today Elena wore a T-shirt, cutoff jean shorts and sneakers, with her long silver-blond hair tied back in an elastic band and maybe, just maybe, lip gloss ... and looked a helluva lot better than I did after hours of grooming."

- Paige, from Industrial Magic

message 13: by Dave (new)

Dave Brink (DaviousB) | 21 comments I think they're really playing up that "city Elena" is in denial about her own nature at this point, and in rejecting her wolf nature, she's also rejecting a lot of her own human nature and strengths, which is certainly where she started out in the book as well, though some details are different of course.

As for the makeup, probably going to have to live with that, not least because very few woman, or men for that matter, no matter how beautiful, want to appear on screen without makeup. How secure would YOU be with a Hi-def camera a foot from your face and, if you're lucky, hundreds of thousands of eyes staring at you from that close!

message 14: by Feral (last edited Feb 06, 2014 04:11PM) (new)

Feral | 22 comments @ Dave it's not just that she has makeup (I expected that), it's thick *pink* makeup--overdone, with heavy eyeliner and false eyelashes. If they picked a natural looking makeup that matched her skin (like this http://thefcelebrity.files.wordpress....) it wouldn't be worth mentioning. (In some scenes they do tone it down so it looks okay). I will live with it of course--but it is jarring.

ETA It's not as bad as the makeup they give vampires on True Blood, so I guess it's all relative. :)

message 15: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Jeffrey | 7 comments Never heard of Bitten by I wanna see it!

message 16: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Jeffrey | 7 comments Maaaan! The site said content was not available in my region. Waah Waaaaah

message 17: by Feral (new)

Feral | 22 comments Jaimie you either have to use the SyFy site http://www.syfy.com/bitten or visit a friend in Canada (or at least your friend's IP address--just a joke). I think you can also get it on Netflix and Amazon.

I would also like to go on record as saying I think they can give Elena as much makeup as they want if they show us the woods scene after Elena looses to Clay at cards.

message 18: by Dave (new)

Dave Brink (DaviousB) | 21 comments Hmmm, I bet they keep Clay at arms length while she's with Philip in the show. I'd like to be wrong, but I bet they keep her monogamous. TV is less puritanical than it used to be, but trusting an audience to follow nuanced, morally ambiguous choices? Here's hopin'!

message 19: by Feral (new)

Feral | 22 comments I fear you might be right Dave. I do know they can't have the inner dialogue that makes her not seem like a "slut" in the book. They are trying to make up for it by adding more sex with the boring human, but it isn't working for me. Maybe we'll at least get some steamy UST in the next episode?

Margo - Putting the Mmmmmm back in Menage | 40 comments Chris wrote: "correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't Elena in the series work as a photographer? ..."

Nope, she's a written journalist. It stuck in my mind clearly b/c of the story in Men of Otherworld where the author provided the backstory of how Clay and Elena meet.

Margo - Putting the Mmmmmm back in Menage | 40 comments Jaime wrote: "Maaaan! The site said content was not available in my region. Waah Waaaaah"

I could only get snippets on the Syfy web site, but full episodes are definitely for sale on Amazon. There's where I finally found it. No other site worked for me.

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Whaley (beckers77) | 80 comments I'm really liking this show. I love clay and I hope he and Elena get back together soon. I really like Kelly Armstrong's series and am so glad they made it into a TV show.

message 23: by Rica (new)

Rica | 7 comments In the book series, she is a journalist. It is very helpful when she is trying to find out about what goes on in areas. In the show, they changed it to photographer. Why I don't know? Probably because someone considers it a cool career and if need be there will be tons of scantily clad pretty people inbetween mutt hunts.

Margo - Putting the Mmmmmm back in Menage | 40 comments I'm very in favor of Clay's scantily clad scenes. :D I'm also glad to see he looks like a real man too. I think of poor Joe Mangiello in True Blood where they waxed his whole torso. He's an Italian man and I would guess by his beard he has a fair amount of hair. That had to hurt!

message 25: by Serendi (new)

Serendi I saw screen caps of shots of Clay the Syfy audience doesn't get to see. Like, LOTS of butt shots. Whoo-eee!

message 26: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 16 comments I have been watching this and I agree. I didn't like Clay actor at first, but he is growing on me. Jeremy is still not fitting for me. The human is boring. I can't remember what happens to him in the book..does he get killed off? Or find out she is a wolf and leave her??

message 27: by Feral (new)

Feral | 22 comments JackieR wrote: "I have been watching this and I agree. I didn't like Clay actor at first, but he is growing on me. Jeremy is still not fitting for me. The human is boring. I can't remember what happens to him in t..."

@Jackie in the books (view spoiler)

message 28: by Rica (new)

Rica | 7 comments Margo (DamesUnrestrained.blogspot.com) wrote: "I'm very in favor of Clay's scantily clad scenes. :D I'm also glad to see he looks like a real man too. I think of poor Joe Mangiello in True Blood where they waxed his whole torso. He's an Italia..."

I kind of meant models, but he's okay.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I was very excited when I started seeing commercials for this series as I love Kelley Armstrong. I like the pick for Elena and will admit when I got my first look at Clay I was a bit confused, he just didn't look quite right to me. However after four episodes I will say that he is growing on me and the chemistry with Elena is perfect. Jeremy on the other hand is another story. There is nothing about him that says alpha to me. I don't know if that is going to change with time or not. For the most part I really like this show and hope it stays in line with the books and can make a successful run.

message 30: by Feral (new)

Feral | 22 comments I really liked this week's episode (5). I am warming up to TV Clay and I thought Elena looked natural. (It's like they heard me complain and re-filmed it just for me!--or not). Now if only I could stop her from going back to Toronto next week--she's really good when she stays with the Danvers. :)

Margo - Putting the Mmmmmm back in Menage | 40 comments I'm willing to allow her to go back to Toronto, but only if Clay goes with her. One of my favorite parts of the book was him totally intimidating her Toronto boyfriend. :)

message 32: by Feral (new)

Feral | 22 comments @ Margo I LOVED that part. We may get it later, but I think they are giving the boring human guy and his sister their own story line so I don't know if we'll get the same end exactly. I don't know if boring human guy has fans who didn't read the book, but I am not warming up to him at all.

Margo - Putting the Mmmmmm back in Menage | 40 comments Yeah, boring human guy is pretty enough but he's certainly not riveting. I'm not sure why he doesn't work for me. I think part of it is he's so pedestrian. Maybe they're keeping him around to paint a contrast to Clay and the other werewolves. His sister is super annoying as is his mom. All right, his whole family is annoying.

I think part of it is it's so clear in the book and the series that Elena is simply deluding herself. She's not human anymore and she needs to move on. I'm not saying it's not hard or what happened to her is fair, but it's done. It's like losing your virginity - once it's gone, it's gone.

message 34: by Feral (last edited Feb 10, 2014 08:28PM) (new)

Feral | 22 comments I agree Margo. I understand her being mad at Clay--he changed her without her consent and it should take a very long time for her to forgive that--but that doesn't mean she should turn her back on what she is now. I think the book does a better job of showing how Elena is drawn to the pack as well as her wolf, even if she fights it. Of course the TV show isn't going to give us all her thoughts. The show is doing a good job at the mystery/thriller elements though. The flashbacks were also good.

message 35: by Nora (new)

Nora (ngoldie) | 3 comments I always enjoyed Kelly Armstrong, so I'm glad that they are adapting her to screen.

I just don't know how they're going to maintain her human life - it pulls so much away from the pack storyline and really doesn't serve much towards the show (nor the human characters being very interesting).

I prefer her standing up to Clay, he seems like one of those blokes who gives you soulful stare and expects you too wither. Plus it makes her a stronger character is the male dominated setting. No sympathy for Clay.

Margo - Putting the Mmmmmm back in Menage | 40 comments Love episode 5! In one scene Clay is giving Elena a hard time about knowing how to spell a word specific to his studies and she tells him, "I believe it starts with F U."

Love it!

message 37: by Kellios (new)

Kellios I loved the book. I'm going to have to check this out. Thanks for the heads up!

message 38: by Rio (new)

Rio (minxxa) Feral wrote: "I really liked this week's episode (5). I am warming up to TV Clay and I thought Elena looked natural. (It's like they heard me complain and re-filmed it just for me!--or not). Now if only I could ..."

I saw that too! I feel like they were showing Elena as "trying to be normal"-- or what she thought normal was, which was more girly, and the more she is around the pack the more she regresses to her more natural self.

Or they heard you complain and changed it! ;-)

I really need to reread the book because I don't remember a lot of it-- or maybe I should just not and let the series speak to me independently.

That said, I do think it is growing into something better. Most series I really love, when I look back the first season was always a bit awkward and wierd as people adapted to their characters, got more comfy and all of that, so I'm all for giving series at least a second year to see if they can do that. The networks, tend to disagree with me, though...

message 39: by Feral (last edited Feb 12, 2014 11:32AM) (new)

Feral | 22 comments You might be better off re-reading after the series is over (at least season 1). I am one of those annoying book people who grumbles every time the adaptation takes off on it's own (unless it creates something I like which is completely new--but even then I wish they hadn't taken the book's title to do it). If I hadn't re-read I'd be more chipper. (It had been a while since I read the book too).

message 40: by Rio (new)

Rio (minxxa) You're probably right. I think I'm just going to watch the show and see how it develops. I can reread later or not.

I do get that way as well with books, however I have a really bad memory and so often don't remember QUITE enough to be "hey, that's different!" Makes it fun to reread the books again later because it's *almost* brand new again!

message 41: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 16 comments I agree the human guy is boring, but he is definitely good looking. He might be much more interesting as a wolf! Maybe they will turn him eventually.

I never liked Caroline on Vampire diaries until they made her a vampire. She is SO much better that way

message 42: by Feral (new)

Feral | 22 comments Hee hee I only like Caroline on VD when she's with Klaus.

message 43: by Rio (new)

Rio (minxxa) I like Caroline better woth Klaus as well. ;-)

message 44: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 16 comments ha! I agree, I like her better with Klaus.

message 45: by Eliste (new)

Eliste | 111 comments We've been watching it, although, like the books, it hasn't entirely convinced me that its great yet.

BUT- last night we were searching for something, anything to watch and stumbled across Red on Netflix which stars our very own Felicia Day.

ITS THE SAME HOUSE!

And Jeremy is in it too.

And they hunt werewolves.

Its so weird.

Didn't finish the movie, but this fact amused me nonetheless.

message 46: by JackieR (last edited Feb 23, 2014 06:53AM) (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 16 comments I will have to check it out! Ok looked the movie up. There is a movie called "Red" and a movie called "Red: Werewolf Hunter" Felicia is in the werewolf movie.

message 47: by Feral (last edited Feb 23, 2014 09:09AM) (new)

Feral | 22 comments JackieR wrote: "I will have to check it out! Ok looked the movie up. There is a movie called "Red" and a movie called "Red: Werewolf Hunter" Felicia is in the werewolf movie."

Yep you want Red: Werewolf Hunter. Personally I wasn't impressed with the writing, but Felicia does a great job with what she was given.

message 49: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 18 comments I watched part of episode 2 on demand (the pilot wasn't there). It just seemed like a lot of uber good looking men and one woman talking. (Well if that's what you're into.)

message 50: by Eliste (new)

Eliste | 111 comments Yeah, the movie was Red: Werewolf Hunter. The movie was pretty dire (like I said, we didn't finish it) but the rest amused me.

« previous 1