THE Group for Authors! discussion

The Craft > Author support groups

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (new)

Simon Goodson | 19 comments OK - this is going to be a little vague as I kind of know what I'm looking for but only roughly. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.

I'd like to find a group of authors, either sci fi & fantasy or general, to help and get help from on some of those things that are tricky to do on our own. Ideally not a massive group as I'd like to actually get to know everyone.

I guess there are lots of these around that aren't looking for new people, but are there any that are? Or would anyone be interested in joining one if I kicked it off?

Some of the things I'm thinking could be covered are:

-- Feedback on covers, back blurb etc
-- Spreading the word about new books
-- Helping get books price matched on Amazon
-- Congratulations when a good review comes in
-- Kind words when the inevitable bad reviews come in

and so on.

Thanks,

Simon

message 2: by Eloreen (new)

Eloreen Moon (eloreenmoon) | 19 comments There are some based on genre and subgenre, but I don't think there is a general one. At least, I haven't actively looked on Goodreads. I'm a member of a couple author support groups specific to the genre of Romance Writers (has a yahoogroup page) or the subgenre groups of Gay Science Fiction (subtopic for writers available) or M/M Romance Writers (here on goodreads). There are reader groups for Science Fiction and the like that might have subtopics for authors to help promote.

message 3: by Simon (new)

Simon Goodson | 19 comments Thanks. Not necessarily looking for a group within goodreads, but that sounds like a good place to start looking.

A genre / sub-genre group would be best I think, I just didn't want to close off any possibilities before I knew what was around.

message 4: by Eloreen (new)

Eloreen Moon (eloreenmoon) | 19 comments There are some on Facebook too. Again, they are going to be genre/sub-genre based.

message 5: by Cris (new)

Cris Pasqueralle | 12 comments If you wanted to start a group I'd be very interested in being a part of it. I write middle grade/young adult fantasy and have self published my first book on amazon kindle direct and could use the occasional pat on the back or kick in the pants.

message 6: by Abby (new)

Abby Vandiver | 10 comments A good group is Book Review Depot on Facebook. Very helpful group.

message 7: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Lair | 34 comments I was interested in groups too. The Internet is so large that I fear I wouldn't have personal contact to discuss specifics about a piece of writing.

message 8: by D.M. (new)

D.M. (DMYates) We have a small google group that you're welcome to join. There are a few of us that are sci-fi/fantasy writers. We're a pretty nice and friendly group and talk about pretty much whatever is on our minds.
Check it out if you like: https://groups.google.com/forum/?from...

message 9: by Simon (new)

Simon Goodson | 19 comments Abby wrote: "A good group is Book Review Depot on Facebook. Very helpful group."

Thanks Abby - just taken a look and I think I'll get involved. I particularly like the way that 1 or 2 star reviews get referred to the author - so there's no pressure to give a falsely high review or not review at all.

message 10: by Simon (new)

Simon Goodson | 19 comments D.M. wrote: "We have a small google group that you're welcome to join. There are a few of us that are sci-fi/fantasy writers. We're a pretty nice and friendly group and talk about pretty much whatever is on our..."

Thanks D.M. Looks good, I'll definitely drop in. Thanks for the invite.

message 11: by Simon (new)

Simon Goodson | 19 comments Thanks for the feedback everyone. The links are really useful and I'll be using them, but I think I will also setup a group as there's some extra stuff I'd like to see. A few of my thoughts are...

-- Private membership. I'd be happy for authors to join whenever they wanted, but if we are discussing things like bad reviews that should be shut away from public view

-- Tech tools focus. Something I can bring to the party - I have a few tools for scanning for reviews automatically and the like. They probably won't ever be robust enough to share widely (have enough of that in the day job) but they'd be good enough for a group of friends to use.

-- Loosely Sci fi & Fantasy focused. Just so we're all in the same place... world... universe... multiverse... well - you know what I mean.

Google Communities looks like a good place to base it (from first glance) but I'll dig into that a bit more. And of course there's the question of a name. I'll think of a few but suggestions would be welcome.

If anyone is interested in the group let me know and I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again,

Simon

message 12: by Simon (new)

Simon Goodson | 19 comments Abby wrote: "A good group is Book Review Depot on Facebook. Very helpful group."

Hi J.J.,

Yeah - that's why I've decided to setup a group. My aim is to have a lively group but one that's small enough for people to get to know each other. Let me know if you're interested.

Simon

message 13: by Simon (new)

Simon Goodson | 19 comments Cris wrote: "If you wanted to start a group I'd be very interested in being a part of it. I write middle grade/young adult fantasy and have self published my first book on amazon kindle direct and could use the..."

Hi Cris,

Congratulations! Getting the first book out is far more than most people manage. I'm definitely going to setup a group (see post above) so I'll keep you in the loop.

Regards,

Simon

message 14: by D.M. (new)

D.M. (DMYates) Simon wrote: "D.M. wrote: "We have a small google group that you're welcome to join. There are a few of us that are sci-fi/fantasy writers. We're a pretty nice and friendly group and talk about pretty much whate..."

You're quite welcome.

message 15: by Eloreen (new)

Eloreen Moon (eloreenmoon) | 19 comments Simon: I would be interested in the new group since I'm going to be writing mostly fantasy and science fiction. Well, that is what my 3 WIP are doing at the moment. :)

message 16: by Simon (new)

Simon Goodson | 19 comments Eloreen wrote: "Simon: I would be interested in the new group since I'm going to be writing mostly fantasy and science fiction. Well, that is what my 3 WIP are doing at the moment. :)"

Great. I've got a few alternatives for hosting the group (not sure google communities gives all that I want) so I'll check them out and we can make a start.

I'm toying with something like "Fantastico Scientifico Authors" for the group name but would love to hear other people's thoughts.

message 17: by Simon (new)

Simon Goodson | 19 comments Right - the group is created, though only very basically so far. The URL is here...

http://thatstoday.com/fantastico-scie...

Hopefully we can all live with the missing apostrophe in thatstoday without going too far off the rails. :-)

I think you'll need to create a login for the site then request to join the group. I'm based in the UK and have a hectic weekend planned so apologies if it takes me a day or so to accept. I want the group to be very democratic so once you're in you shouldn't be waiting for me to sort things in the future.

Really looking forward to getting this started.

Simon

message 18: by Simon (new)

Simon Goodson | 19 comments OK - maybe not such a good choice. Some fairly major issues have come to light - no way to request access to the group, no way to invite people using their IDs (just email or facebook) and the search function throws errors.

I'll try one of the other sites and post back here soon.

Simon

message 19: by Simon (new)

Simon Goodson | 19 comments OK - several sites, and hours, later I've gone for a split Forum for discussions & Google Sites site (for articles). The combined sites either didn't work well, were missing what we needed or cost money (and there's a real trend for the free ones to go to paid or close down).

Forum is here:
http://fantasticoscientificoauthors.f...

Google Site is here:
https://sites.google.com/site/fantast...

Both require approval to join but should let you make that request easily. I hope! :-)

If not I might go cry in the corner for a while. ;-)

message 20: by Eloreen (new)

Eloreen Moon (eloreenmoon) | 19 comments One down...one to go. *crosses fingers*

message 21: by Simon (new)

Simon Goodson | 19 comments Ah - looks like you'll need to give me your Google IDs or email so I can invite you into the sites. Please send me a message with it.

***DON'T POST YOUR EMAIL HERE***

Unless you want your spam filter to drown. :-)