What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Devil on the Road
This topic is about The Devil on the Road
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Teenage Book about a Time traveller on a Motorbike, a Witch, her Cat and Witchfinder General [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Gill | 5 comments Hi,

Sorry first time post so please forgive me if I've done anything wrong!

I'm looking for a UK book I used to love reading when I was younger (Late Eighties early nineties). It was about a Motorcyclist who went back in time and met a Witch and her Cat. He kept on moving backwards and forwards through time and had to try and save her from the Witchfinder General (Matthew Hopkins). It was quite a dark book and not sure it had that happy an ending!

Cheers for your help.

message 2: by Andria (last edited Feb 05, 2014 12:53PM) (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
The Devil on the Road by Robert Westall?

ETA: the description on GR is a little thin, here's a more detailed one:

The Devil on the Road is set far away from the mundane war-time location of Westall’s North Shields stories, in the meandering lanes of Suffolk, where the ancient histories of villages are only a stone’s throw away from surfacing through the cobbles or the thatch or the church bell tolling. The book’s story is conjured as a spell, appropriately enough as the subject is witch-finding, which draws us in alongside John Webster, a civil engineering student who is after courting Lady Luck one idle summer by riding his Tiger Cub motorbike wherever his fancy takes him. However Lady Luck is forcing his hand: directed and pulled towards a deserted barn in the middle of a suffocating countryside, John settles in for the summer and for a series of events that attempt to divert his life-trajectory into something more rounded and committed. Magic is in the air, the locals seem to recognise him, and John temporarily swaps love of his Cub bike for love of a stray kitten. After adopting it and feeding it up, he finds that it is capable of pulling him through time into the Suffolk of 1647, the time of the arrival in that district of self-styled “Witchfinder General” Matthew Hopkins and the trial of several local women, including the Squire's clever daughter, Johanna Vavasour.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan Gill | 5 comments The Power of Google and finding the Magic Google Phrase
The Devil on the Road

message 4: by Dan (last edited Feb 05, 2014 01:09PM) (new)

Dan Gill | 5 comments Thanks Andria, you beat me to it!! The order has just been placed and it should be on its way soon. Can't wait to re-read it.

Not sure how to move this into the "solved" section

message 5: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
I'll move it to Solved for you. Glad you found it, hope you enjoy it as much the second time around. :)

message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan Gill | 5 comments Book arrived yesterday, finished this evening, and it was as good as I remember it. Thanks for your help Andria.