Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > Charging in Airplane mode

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 05, 2014 01:01PM) (new)

Elizabeth (eltownsend) | 8 comments I've read that keeping the device in airplane mode will extend battery life... Will it also speed up charge time as it does with the iPhone?

Also, should I wait for the battery to go right down before charging, or just top it up as and when it's convenient?

(I have a Paperwhite, if that makes any difference to the reply.)

Thanks.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlb) | 50 comments I rarely turn on my wireless, but the amount of power you use seems to depend a lot more on how quickly you're turning pages (I use a large font, so I turn pages more often than most people do), whether there's a large number of books on your kindle (more books takes more power to index), how often you use the light (on the paperwhite), whether you turn it off or put it to sleep, etc. From what I understand, letting the battery go right down until you get the 'low battery' warning before you charge it doesn't affect the speed of charging, but may extend your time between charges. If you're charging via usb on a computer, it will charge more quickly if you 'eject' the device first (but leave it plugged in).

I just top mine up when it's convenient- I ran out of power once, and that was enough for me :-)

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (eltownsend) | 8 comments Thanks Jen. :)

Can anyone advise on whether airplane mode charging is faster than with wireless switched on?

And will "top up" charges damage the battery as it can with phones and other gadgets?

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) | 9 comments My fire charges really slow, so I think I will test this out.

message 5: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 12, 2014 07:29AM) (new)

Elizabeth (eltownsend) | 8 comments Let us know if it makes a difference. :)

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) | 9 comments Okay so I am charging in airplane mode, and it charges a little faster, but not much. I went from 39% to 50% in about 20 minutes. I have a fire HD, so it may be faster on other kindles.

If anyone else try charging their kindle in airplane mode, please let us know the results.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (eltownsend) | 8 comments Thanks for the update! :)