Paper Towns Paper Towns question

Thoughts? Negativity Welcomed.
Emma Belle Emma Belle Feb 05, 2014 12:20PM
I was just wondering what everyone thought of this book. It was a good book but I thought John Green went kinda overboard.

I hated the bloody characters with a burning passion.

So.Underwhelming.Very.Disappointed.In.You.John.Green.

It felt like a contrived Looking for Alaska 2.0
The pranks were funny and the road trip was funny. John Green should've just ripped the entire middle part out. What a waste of trees.

Bagas Adhikaputera dito
Apr 29, 2014 10:12AM · flag

I personally really loved paper towns. I thought that it was a great read, I am a huge John Green fan!

So while I read this book within a few hours, and I laughed aloud a few times, I felt that the characters were all very flat, and that they all speak with the same voice-John Green’s. The best quotes in this book are those he quotes from outstanding authors such as Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson, otherwise I felt as though in attempting to make the novel sound “profound” John Green says a lot of things in metaphor, but none of these are indeed profound, and are actually quite superficial, and so wouldn’t be, and isn’t, elevating in the least. You can see where he is layering, to try and make a more full novel, but with an execution that is poorly done, it lays as flat as his characters.

It was so bad, but because he wrote it so well I had kept reading it. I hated the characters!! ARGH! Now that it's becoming a movie I wasn't going to watch it, but I heard Nat Wolff is playing Quentin I feel like I should watch it since I like him as an actor.

It wasn't bad... I really loved some aspects of it. The ending though was just dumb! They go all out to find her and she was just completely awful to them. Yeah life sucks and not everyone is who they seem and all that but even that doesn't justify the way he ended it!

Like most of the John Green books, he is extremely quotable and knows how to sew simple words in one sentence and have an eternal impact on any reader. It's a good read. He was so effective in his writing that I actually hated the heroine (I didn't bother to recall and google her name)

What is so captivating with an overly dramatic narcissistic teenager? Totally. Seriously.

Well, first off: I don't get John Green, I don't see what makes him popular, what it is about his writing that clicks with the youth of today.
But. Maybe. They. Really. Talk. Like. That. - And therefore didn't role their eyes everytime some character did this.

Secondly, maybe boys in Q's age really are such shallow creatures, but personally Green lost me the moment his lead was sitting next to the girl he pretended to be in love with and all he could think about was her bust - I mean really?
Some love there...

Thirdly, I didn't get Margo at all. Even after she was explained to me.
So she's been to everybody the person they wanted to see - and then she goes ballistic because nobody cared to look behind the mask when she's never given them any reason to?

Not that it was a bad read, and I'm a big fan of the album mentioned in the book "Mermaid Avenue", so I'm always giving it points for that alone.
I just had those huge expectations of it after hearing so much praise for Green's writing - and maybe that's been the major fault, that no single book could have hoped to live up to those expectations.

I enjoyed reading Paper Towns but like with most of John Green books I did not find it riveting or one of those you just want to read and read until you are finished. However I especially loved the part when Quentin, Ben, Radar and Lacey are on the road trip and Ben accidentally gets a confederate tshirt for Radar. I couldn't stop laughing. That is something I have found with most of John Greens books. There is always one moment in the book that you just cannot help but laugh at and not just laughing in your mind but actually out loud.

I felt like he started with a concept that intrigued him (paper towns) and then though that if he dropped in some John Greene-ly weird characters, he could make the idea of "paper towns" something transcending city planning and economic realities and be applied to life...but I think he missed the mark. It's quaint, lightly intriguing.

It was very quotable,but not my favorite from John Green. The beginning was great, but the rest felt dragged out. The best part was at the starts and it was all down hill from there.

I have a lot of mixed feelings for all of John's books. Paper Towns was my second favorite of his (that I read). The list goes: 1) An Abundance of Katherines 2) Paper Towns 3) Looking for Alaska 4) The Fault in Our Stars. From what I've observed, most people seem to like TFiOS, but I don't know. Although I was upset by the ending of Paper Towns, I really liked it. To me, it was the kind of ending that I saw coming but didn't want to admit it's possible. If this was the first of John's books that I read, I would call Q's infatuation with Margo refreshing, but it's not and I already saw the manic-pixie dream girl in LFA . I love John's books. Don't get me wrong. He's the first author I've classified as a "favorite" because normally I don't like books just for their style. LFA and PT have some similar themes (more minor than major) but it's enough. I did really like how PT was kind of like a little mystery. Q was okay as a protagonist and Margo was pretty unbelievable, but I'm fine with that because the whole point is that Q and the reader won't know who the real Margo is because all we saw was the fake, larger-than-life/idea of Margo. This is what resonated with me since I finished it. The only reason that Katherines was my favorite is due to the awesomeness that is everything from the footnotes to the math equations (thanks to Daniel Biss) and the "life isn't predictable/perfect". Like I said before, I don't know. The writing is so good in all of the books that I just want to say they're perfect, but after I've put the book down and thought about it, there are some over dramatic parts as well as unbelievable ones. In a way, it's good and it works towards the theme of what it means to truly know a person, but sometimes it just seems too forced.

I first read the fault in our stars which I did enjoy reading. I thought this book would be okay too but it was really boring and shallow.

Paper Towns was an interesting book to me. John Green is notorious for those simple one liners that work perfectly for a tumblr url, or those quotable quotes that just linger with you. I both liked Paper Towns and didn't like it at the same time.

The romance aspect was familiar JG territory: Boy falls in love with girl who he thinks is way out of his league. And I could've have lived with that... However, in between the suspense ridden plot (Where is Margo, really?) one couldn't help but feel annoyed that maybe... just maybe... his efforts were useless. Perhaps the girl just didn't want to be found. She made herself rather clear.

But I loved the concept of a Paper Town. The whole idea of a fake society... Because it is relatable.

Many people would say that ending was good because it was unpredictable. But frankly, it was not really. There was always a chance that Margo did not value Q's and her relationship as he did... The whole futility rant stated above. But yes, I will admit that it was NOT a clichéd ending.

I was hoping for more substance, however.

(TFiOS is my favourite John Green book thus far... I've yet to read An Abundance of Katherines)

I thought this was the most boring book in the whole entire world.

It took me two months to get through this book, and I never even finished it!

It's just John Green's writing style. It's so dull I mean TFIOS was fantastic, I loved every page, but this, this was just disgraceful! So so so so so so BORING!

And has anyone noticed all of his main characters are the exact same person? All only children, with kind and loving parents, all are skinny and all are way too intelligent for their own good. None of them (save for Hazel Grace, I think) have any personality.

Q, Pudge, Will Grayson and Colin - they're all exactly the same!!!!!!

I'm sorry to rant, but oh my god, save me!!!

I didn't like the book at all. I have read 4 of John Green's books and I loved everyone except this. I think it took to long for Q to find her and the only thing I really liked was their prank night together. The rest was almost a waste of time, which is terrible since John Green wrote it.

Why was margo selfish?

Erica she didn't think about the people around her, and have always done whatever she wanted. Throughout the book even her parents said that she just does w ...more
Apr 28, 2014 09:10AM

I liked this book and the writing style, but the ending annoyed me. Definitely not my favourite John Green book.

I rated this book four stars, but for two reasons.
It was captivating
The writing was good- meaning, for me, it had a clear conflict and was believable.
That being said, I hated the idea of the book, and didn't like the events or the language.
I rated it on the writing, not my gut. My gut says one star, my brain said four.

I am a huge john green fan but I did not like paper towns. I felt like reading it was a waste of my time.

No other novel made me feel so many feels, and I liked the ending. It was realistic.

Load.Of.Crap.
i read TFIOS before and loved it but this, THIS was utter horsecrap!
you'er telling me a girl who never.gave.half.a.shit about you appears in your window and BAM after a night pranks you become OBSESSED with her!? if pissed me off to no end how Q wouldnt shut the hell up about margo margo margo!! she would never do this..., that not like margo..., blah blah didnt understand her YOU DIDNT KNOW JACK ABOUT HER EITHER D:<.
margo pretty much got bored with her parents and screwed with Q instead (whom i repeatedly wanted to strangle).
plus, Q's friends barely know Margo right? YET, the easily feed Q's irrational obsession and (ohmygod, i wanna scream) happily ditch their graduation to road trip on one of Q's many failed hunches!!!
But most importantly, it was WAY to long to find Margo (i gave up at hour 2 but skimmed the last few hrs). The pacing is so slow and the 'climaxes' only bored me more.
you know im ranting, i'll stop. cant beleive this book's rating.

deleted member Apr 15, 2014 03:44PM   0 votes
I read Paper Towns in one afternoon! I loved it! It's my third favorite JG book I guess, although Looking for Alaska is a close fourth. (My top two are The Fault in Our Stars and Will Grayson, Will Grayson.)

I personally think it was very entertaining, but not quite as "profound" as his other stuff. But that's okay. I could barely breathe laughing so hard.

I personally loved this book even more than tfios! It wasn't about their great deep epic love or even understanding of each other, it was a story of how Q began to see her. Have you any idea what it feels like to be an alien hiding behind a thin mask of normality? Don't you think that numbs a person? There is no justification for Margo's all around selfishness but a character's imperfections should not blind a reader from seeing their struggle. I also loved Q's character arc. He went from being absolutely indistinguishable from all the other superficial characters to someone who was at least a little bit more insightful and just all around a more matured person.

I get the feeling that a lot of people love this book only because John Green wrote it.

I wasn't a big fan of the secondary characters and found them to be flat and unrealistic and I think Green tried too hard to give them personality. I don't think the sudden and complete entry of Lacey into the dynamic with Ben and Radar and Q was realistic and I also don't know how believable it was that they all skipped graduation and went on a roadtrip. But books aren't supposed to be realistic so that's not too big of a point.

I think the book was kind of slow in the middle, or I think that Green could have shortened some of it. I don't like at all how Q begins and makes a habit of lying to his parents in the book. I don't think that is a good message to be sending to young adult readers and I think it shows a change in Q's personality not for the better, but for the worse.

The part when Q was convinced she had or was going to kill herself to me was important because it linked back to the beginning of the book. Once the book was over, however, I'm not sure how important that was and I'm a bit disappointed and wish that it could have tied together nicer.

Margo Roth Spiegelman, I am not a fan of. I don't think she is a good friend or a good example or a good influence on anyone around her. I don't think she is mature and I think she is inconsiderate. But those are real things.

This book definitely does not make my list of top ten or even top twenty, but my final conclusion was that I liked it. I only decided that on the last page, however. I think that it teaches a good lesson that people and relationships are not so cut and dry and predictable and happy ending. Q and Margo seem to be great together and to want to be together but they don't end up together. That's great! That's realistic. That's something to teach young adult readers. That's why I like this book.

I liked it- 3rd favorite JG book!

I loved the adventure. It captivated me - mostly with nostalgia. However, I thought Margo was a little selfish.