American Westerns discussion

The Bird Cage Theatre

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 131 comments Everyone familiar with the place? Located in Tombstone, AZ, it was one of the most wild and hot spots during the Wild West. It's said that 26 people were killed inside during the 1880's. It's also said that there's over 105 bullets still imbedded within the walls throughout the place. It is one of the few places still standing today that really tells of Wild West history and even before stepping inside I would imagine one could just feel the essence and take in the Western nostalgia.

Today it is a museum and tourist attraction for ghost tours. This partly because many vistiors and employees have claimed to have witnessed seeing spirits of former prostitutes and men in cowboy hats. Sounds are heard during the night as if parties are going on. Also many claim to hear people walking on the floor boards even though there's only one person within the place.

Perhaps it's become a bit of an amusement to some but I would still love to go sometime and check the place out as a museum. Take in all th Western articfacts and hear the stories.

You can check out more on the place @
http://tombstonebirdcage.com/

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Colt (paulcolt) | 78 comments Justin,
Great topic. Looks like an interesting place. You can find some wonderful places to get the feel of the west if you are willing to get your boots dirty. My research has taken me places I might never have gone. Two of my favorites are Lincoln, New Mexico and the land the Sioux call Paha Sappa.

Lincoln was the center of the Lincoln County war and the scene of Billy the Kid's fabled jail break. The Lincoln County Courthouse where the jail was located is a museum today complete with a bullet hole in the stairwell that ruined Deputy Bell's day. That research trip backs up A Question of Bounty: The Shadow of Doubt. The book will be released in June.

We know the Paha Sappa as the Black Hills. The sacred center of the Sioux nation was ceded to the Sioux by the Ft. Laramie Treaty of 1868. It was a great treaty, until gold was discovered at a place we now call Deadwood. I was fortunate enough to ride the Paha Sappa on horseback while doing the landscaping for Grasshoppers in Summer.

The west is still out there. As my pard Dusty Richards once told me, "There's more stories out there than blades of grass."

Enjoy the ride.

message 3: by Elena (new)

Elena (elenasandidge) | 2 comments Hi Justin,
The Bird Cage is a fun place to visit. It's certainly very atmospheric. Definitely worth a visit. I was there about ten years ago when I was researching my Doc Holliday books. I only wish they would open it at night too. :-)

One of the things to look out for is the chandelier in the lobby swinging. I watched it one night. It may just be weather or perhaps something a bit more supernatural. Who knows for sure. A lot of Tombstone is like that. The town is incredibly atmospheric. If you get a chance to visit, get out and walk the streets late at night. The mornings are wonderful too, it's really relaxing just to sit on one of the benches and watch the world go by. Also don't forget a pair of boots so that you get the full effect of the boardwalk.

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 131 comments Thanks for sharing Elena! I definitely want to go some day and check it out.