Mid-Continent Public Library discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MH (new)

MH (librarian-m) | 236 comments Mod
It's February! We're covered in snow, Valentine's Day is coming, and we're right in the middle of our adult Winter Reading Challenge! So...WHAT are YOU reading?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Katie MacAlister's Noble Destiny (Noble, #2) by Katie MacAlister Noble Destiny. Very funny, snarky. The heroine is a lovable ditz with a lot of moxie, who just can't seem to think of the right word. She's irresistible.

message 3: by Dorothea (new)

Dorothea | 38 comments Finished my third for the challenge last night, "Loving Frank" by Nancy Horan, a novel based on Frank Lloyd Wright and his affair with Maymah Borthwick Cheney. I do recommend this "goodread". MY #4 will be Patterson's "Cross My Heart" because my hold came through! Haven't yet decide on what wil be #5.

message 4: by Courtnie (new)

Courtnie (bookcupidity) Just started Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, and I'm not yet sure about it...

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 195 comments Mod
Courtnie wrote: "Just started Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, and I'm not yet sure about it..."

You will have to let me know how you liked it. I started it but didn't get through it.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 16 comments I'm reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 195 comments Mod
Finished Murder as a Fine Art by David Morrell. You can read my comments on this book on the WRC Progress.

message 8: by Chantel (new)

Chantel (chantelowsley) | 26 comments Just got the notice that Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline is on the holds shelf waiting for me to pick up.

message 9: by Maria (new)

Maria | 0 comments Chantel, I really enjoyed Orphan Train. I did not want this book to end. I definately had a book hangover after reading it. I hope you enjoy it!

message 10: by Dorothea (new)

Dorothea | 38 comments Finished my 5th WRC book, "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Café", by Fannie Flagg. Thanks for the tip on Orphan Train, I'm going to the site now to place a hold.

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria | 0 comments Hope you enjoy it Dorothea!

message 12: by Green (new)

Green (greenvonder) | 1 comments Hello!

Oh, I have Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell... Yet I could not continue pass first chapter without losing patience for the pace to speed up. One day, I will return to that book and actually read!

It is hard to say which book I am actually currently reading. I am reading several books same time due to my short attention span or my capricious interests. I am trying to read The Whisperer by Donato Carrisi and 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz.

message 13: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 32 comments A Redbird ChristmasDorothea wrote: "Finished my 5th WRC book, "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Café", by Fannie Flagg. Thanks for the tip on Orphan Train, I'm going to the site now to place a hold."

That is a good one. You should read A Redbird Christmas, by the same author. It is one of those curl up by the fire and get lost in stories.

message 14: by Abigail (last edited Feb 25, 2014 01:33PM) (new)

Abigail | 32 comments Dorothea wrote: "Finished my 5th WRC book, "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Café", by Fannie Flagg. Thanks for the tip on Orphan Train, I'm going to the site now to place a hold."

You should also read A Redbird Christmas, if you haven't done so yet. Same author. Truely charming and moving story.
A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg

message 15: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 32 comments I am still plowing through Cry Freedom. (Schalesky, Marlo M)
I want to scream at times. There are too many twists and close calls in this story. And since it is about 3-4 characters' lives involved, it splits into 3-4 narratives at times and I want to yell, no, get back to her, did she die or not?!! But it is very gripping, so I will finish it.

message 16: by Linda O (new)

Linda O (lindanorthoak) | 11 comments A Redbird ChristmasbyFannie FlaggI've had book groups tell me this is their all time favorite book group selection.

message 17: by Courtnie (new)

Courtnie (bookcupidity) Amy wrote: "Courtnie wrote: "Just started Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, and I'm not yet sure about it..."

You will have to let me know how you liked it. I started it but didn't get through it."

I'm done. It was WORK to finish it...but it is really good.
If I had picked this up years ago I would have enjoyed it more, but I'm at a point in my life where I like to feel the satisfaction of finishing a book in one or two days. This took me a month+. I didn't really care about anything or anyone until chapter 44.

The upside is that it has a lot of humor.

The downside is that I had a hard time relating as much of the book is a social commentary of England, and given that I'm an American, MOST of that was over my head. Oh yeah, and it's overwritten.

I could go on, and contradict myself over and over. The story was good, but it was too long. The characters were funny, but I didn't fall in love with them.

I don't know. I ended up giving it 5 stars because I recognize why it was award winning.