♥ Young Adult and New Adult Readers ♥ discussion

CHALLENGES: COMPLETED > #11 State Challenge/Road Trip Challenge/Vacation Challenge

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (last edited Mar 01, 2014 11:52AM) (new)

C. | 46 comments This has three parts to it. You can participate in one, two, or all three if you want to. The first is the original state challenge, where you read a book set in every state of America. The second is where you will select a state on the east or west coast, then make your way through states to the west or east coast. After that you can, if you choose, to go from north to south or south to north. The final is where you will start with a book in the state where you live (if you don't live in the U.S. you can pick a random state or maybe a state where you would like to live), then make your way to the state you most want to visit. For this challenge, we will be using maps from http://bighugelabs.com/map.php. This is a year challenge from the date you start (although you must start during the year of 2014). If you choose to do all parts, you do not have to read a second book for any state (unless you want to). The catch is you can't read a state in the middle at the beginning for Part 1 and then count it when you hit that state for Part 2 and Part 3 because for both of those parts, the books must be read in order. The first part is worth 3 POINTS, the other two parts are worth 2 POINTS. You get 1 POINT if you participate, but don't complete any of the parts.

Have fun and enjoy!
We may later have a continent or country challenge.

Participants

message 2: by Chelsea (last edited Feb 18, 2014 02:14PM) (new)

Chelsea (chelc13) | 1467 comments Mod
I'm going to put all of my parts on this post.

PART 1:

PART 2:

PART 3:

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather ok so if we do the state our book currently starts in for me it would be California. So do I have to try to make my way across the US or can I try to read a book from every state in the US?

message 4: by C. (new)

C. | 46 comments You can do whichever one you want, totally up to you :)

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather oh ok I wasn't completely sure :) I am going to try to read across the the east coast then :)

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather Im starting in California with
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1) by Jesikah Sundin

message 7: by C. (new)

C. | 46 comments Sounds good! :)

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather ok :)

message 9: by Chelsea (last edited Feb 05, 2014 01:49PM) (new)

I could start that challenge too with Legend (well either of those challenges lol). How are you liking it so far?

message 10: by Chelsea (last edited Feb 06, 2014 12:55PM) (new)

I finished Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender for Ohio for Parts 1 and 3.

I'm also reading Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1) by Jesikah Sundin for California for Parts 1 and 2.

message 11: by Chelsea (new)

I started Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor , and from the way it has been so far. I think it's going to take place half of the time in NY and the other half in NJ, so I haven't decided which state I will read it for.

message 12: by Chelsea (new)

I decided I'm reading it for NJ because I think NY will be easier to find a book that takes place there.

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather Legacy takes place in California and Washington so would that count for both states?

message 14: by C. (new)

C. | 46 comments It depends how you want to use it. You can use it for both states, but only like for Part 1 as Washington's book and Part 2 as California's. It doesn't count for both states for only one Part of the challenge.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather ok thanks i guess I will stick with it being in Cali for just the part i did above

message 16: by Chelsea (last edited Feb 10, 2014 07:06PM) (new)

I read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, which starts of in Connecticut.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

message 17: by Robert (last edited Feb 11, 2014 11:22AM) (new)

Robert Slater (robertlslater) | 48 comments Cool idea. Hhhmmm. I think my favorite state is the one I live in. But maybe Washington to Maine.

[WARNING: Self-promotion] ;-)
All is Silence releasing on Tuesday, February begins in Bellingham, WA, and goes through OR, ID, UT, TX, NM, and CO. ;-)

C. wrote: "This has three parts to it. You can participate in one, two, or all three if you want to. The first is the original state challenge, where you read a book set in every state of America. The second ..."

message 18: by Chelsea (last edited Feb 13, 2014 07:21AM) (new)

Finished Maybe One Day for New Jersey. I need to finish All is Silence - it's a plus I have no school today lol getting some of my reading done! So many states to pick it for though. I'm also going to finish Darkness Before Dawn for Colorado (since it takes place in Denver)

message 19: by Robert (new)

Robert Slater (robertlslater) | 48 comments Awesome, Chelsea.

Chelsea wrote: "Finished Maybe One Day for New Jersey. I need to finish All is Silence - it's a plus I have no school today lol getting some of my reading done! So many states to pi..."

message 20: by Chelsea (last edited Feb 18, 2014 01:57PM) (new)

I finished Unremembered (Unremembered, #1) by Jessica Brody for California, so I will be finishing Legacy for Washington, and I haven't decided what I will count All is Silence for.

Currently reading The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant (V, #1) by Joanna Wiebe for Maine, and Dead to You by Lisa McMann for Minnesota.

Updating my map(s) now!

message 21: by Robert (new)

Robert Slater (robertlslater) | 48 comments Great. just read the first few pages of Legacy.

Chelsea wrote: "I finished Unremembered (Unremembered, #1) by Jessica Brody for California, so I will be finishing Legacy for Washington, and I haven't decided what I will count All is Silence for...."

message 22: by Chelsea (new)

How are you liking it so far? I think it's different, but a good different. :)

message 23: by Robert (new)

Robert Slater (robertlslater) | 48 comments The author is a recent friend of mine, so I had a clue what it was about before I started it. I like the contrast of almost fantasy and futuristic.

message 24: by Chelsea (new)

Robert wrote: "The author is a recent friend of mine, so I had a clue what it was about before I started it. I like the contrast of almost fantasy and futuristic."

I agree, it's really unique!

I just finished Blur by Steven James for Wisconsin.

message 25: by Robert (new)

Robert Slater (robertlslater) | 48 comments Blur looks interesting. How was it?

message 26: by Chelsea (last edited Feb 27, 2014 12:25PM) (new)

I loved it! It's a mystery/paranormalish book about a teenager who is trying to find out who killed a girl at his school, and it kept me guessing the entire book. I figured it out about the same time the main character figured it out.

The only problem is that the next book doesn't come out until next Spring, and I received the book early. It doesn't come out until May 27th, so I have to wait forever to read the next book in the trilogy.

I am currently reading Sliding Beneath the Surface (The St. Augustine Trilogy, #1) by Doug Dillon for Florida and Bang (Visions, #2) by Lisa McMann for Illinois.

message 27: by Robert (new)

Robert Slater (robertlslater) | 48 comments So sorry. Feeling that pressure from readers of my book. Just the question, "When does the next when come out?" causes hives! ;-)

message 28: by Lucky Duckie (last edited Mar 17, 2014 11:43AM) (new)

Lucky Duckie Part 1

CA-Legacy, J Sundin
AZ-The Arizona Kid, Ron K
CO-Six Months Later Natalie R
OH-Fangirl Rowell Rainbow
IL-Divergant, V. Roth
IN-TFIOS John G.

message 29: by Chelsea (new)

I just read A Dance with Tilly for Massachusettes.