Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Love Water Memory
This topic is about Love Water Memory
Previous BOMs - Authors; Q - T > Shortridge, Jennie - Love Water Memory - Start Date March 2nd (March Anything Goes BOM)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 179 (179 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod

Love Water Memory by Jennie Shortridge

Be prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:

If you could do it all over again, would you still choose him?

At age thirty-nine, Lucie Walker has no choice but to start her life over when she comes to, up to her knees in the chilly San Francisco Bay, with no idea how she got there or who she is. Her memory loss is caused by an emotional trauma she knows nothing about, and only when handsome, quiet Grady Goodall arrives at the hospital does she learn she has a home, a career, and a wedding just two months away. What went wrong? Grady seems to care for her, but Lucie is no more sure of him than she is of anything. As she collects the clues of her past self, she unlocks the mystery of what happened to her. The painful secrets she uncovers could hold the key to her future—if she trusts her heart enough to guide her.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 06, 2014 11:05PM) (new) - added it

Reading Schedule:

Date Chapters Pages for LT version PPDQC*
March 2nd 01 - 05 1 - 57 Karen
March 3rd 06 - 10 57 - 113 Lisarenee
March 4th 11 - 16 114 - 171 Sonia
March 5th 17 - 23 171 - 235 Jex
March 6th 24 - 30 236 - 301 Lisarenee
March 7th 31 - end 302 - 364 Lisa Kay

*PPDQC - Person Posting Daily Questions and Comments

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Reserved

message 4: by Audra (new) - added it

Audra Reed (365projectreads) | 71 comments Looks like another good one!

Saxonjus | 43 comments Waiting to start :)

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon I will join this one :)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Looking forward to this one. Excitedly waiting for my book.

Adriane | 24 comments Yay, got my copy today! Turned my kindle on and it was patiently waiting for me! Can't wait to start reading it!

Saxonjus | 43 comments Ooh havent checked

Saxonjus | 43 comments Just checked its there :) way small print

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Thanks for letting me know you have yours. I have been watching my email for a while for it and nothing, so I thought I'd better check my junk folder and found it. Yay, on my Kobo and ready to go.

Katie.g Thanks for the hint Renee. Mine was in my junk folder too!

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14340 comments Mod
I had some e-mail malfunctions, but I now have mine too :)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 451 comments Anybody know when we can expect the hard copies? :)

Samantha (190pounddiamond) | 1 comments Hi, I'm new here. I just purchased this book on Kindle and can not wait for the discussion.

message 16: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Samantha wrote: "Hi, I'm new here. I just purchased this book on Kindle and can not wait for the discussion."

Welcome Samantha. I hope you have fun discussing the book. We'll be having a Q&A with the author later in March. I'll be posting details soon.

message 17: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Kaitlin wrote: "Anybody know when we can expect the hard copies? :)"

I'd guess later this week, probably Friday or Saturday if not sooner, everyone should get their book. As someone mentioned the East coast has been slammed with bad weather. FYI, you know that popular saying associated with the post office about neither rain nor sleet, nor snow would stop the mail from being delivered? Well, that was engraved or chiseled by either an architect or previous owner of one of the current or former postal building. Not sure which, but the US postal service does not claim it as an official promise or slogan. :(

message 18: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1611 comments got my book can wait to start reading and join in the discussion.

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments I haven't gotten my book yet so I won't be able to join in yet but when I get it, I'll be here!

Saxonjus | 43 comments Are we discussing several chapters? Are we reading right through?

message 21: by Sonia (last edited Feb 28, 2014 09:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Saxonjus wrote: "Are we discussing several chapters? Are we reading right through?"

The BOM's usually have a breakdown by chapter and each day we set some questions and questions to promote discussion. You can see the reading schedule on message #2

You are free to read the book at your own pace, as long as you keep from spoiling the chapters not yet discussed, no problem with that.

message 22: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Saxonjus wrote: "Are we discussing several chapters? Are we reading right through?"

Saxonjus, the Reading Schedule is in Post #2. The Mods will all be posting Discussion Questions, which you may choose to answer. Hopefully, these will spark several discussions.

Clare Butler | 294 comments I'm in! Sounds like it could be a good book!

Saxonjus | 43 comments ok dokie I see it now

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I've got my book and ready to read. :)

message 26: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Comments and questions: March 2
Chapters 1-5

1. What are your initial impressions? Do you like the writing style?

2. Why did you decide to join this BOM? Have you read any other books by this author?

3. I could relate to the descriptions of Grady swimming and his love for that isolation of the pool. How about you? Are you a swimmer?

4. So Lucie didn't share much of her past with her fiance. What are your thoughts on this? Acceptable, or should everything be out in the open?

5. I'm intrigued about the snippet we have into Lucie's aunty's life (Helen). Thoughts?

6. Any theories on why Lucie disappeared ? Was she leaving Grady after their fight? Is she mentally ill and had an episode? Other ideas?

7. Lucie has not just lost memories, but also it seems part of her sense of identity (e.g. not knowing about her family, referring to a "dress shop", crying easily -
"The old Lucie didn't cry"). Do you think that is realistic? Do our memories form our sense of self?

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Comments and questions: March 2
Chapters 1-5

I'm enjoying the writing style. I liked that there was in introduction to the characters beefore their perspective took over narration. Not too many characters at this stage so I think I should be able to keep track of the story.

2. Why did you decide to join this BOM? Have you read any other books by this author?

I was one of the lucky ones who won a copy. I haven't read anything else by this author. I do really enjoy amnesia stories, so I might have joined this one anyway. I hadn't heard about this book before the giveaway, and that's one of the reasons I joined NBRC - to be inspired to read a variety of books.

3. I could relate to the descriptions of Grady swimming and his love for that isolation of the pool. How about you? Are you a swimmer?
Not a swimmer myself. Rather sit by the pool and read...that's my timeout.

4. So Lucie didn't share much of her past with her fiance. What are your thoughts on this? Acceptable, or should everything be out in the open?

If you're at the point of getting married I would expect that you would have shared most of your history. Everyone is entitled to some privacy, but if you plan to marry someone I would hope you felt you could trust them enough to share your deepest secrets.

5. I'm intrigued about the snippet we have into Lucie's aunty's life (Helen). Thoughts?
I wonder what happened here that Lucie didn't want to have contact with Helen. I think they will make contact now and rebuild the relationship. Then it will all come out again. I think the rift might be to do with the "birthmark" scars the size of cigarette tips...?

6. Any theories on why Lucie disappeared ? Was she leaving Grady after their fight? Is she mentally ill and had an episode? Other ideas?

That fight seemed to trigger her needing to take some time out. No idea what really happed yet though.

7. Lucie has not just lost memories, but also it seems part of her sense of identity (e.g. not knowing about her family, referring to a "dress shop", crying easily - "The old Lucie didn't cry"). Do you think that is realistic? Do our memories form our sense of self?

Nature vs nurture. I think alot of your character, likes and dislikes etc would develop from your life experience. Lucie seems to have a simple untainted character now, expressing what she actually feels, not what she had been programmed by society to feel. She hopes she is a good person, not someone who would run away from her children.

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1945 comments Comments and questions: March 2
Chapters 1-5

I am finding the book to be very interesting. I want to keep turning the pages to see where we will be taken next. I like the way the story is told in different voices - I think you sometimes can get a better story knowing what other characters are thinking/doing at the same time as everyone else.

This is a new-to-me author and I was lucky to have been selected to receive a free copy. I was drawn to this book by the description and felt that this is a book I could recommend to my real-life book club because I think it will have some great talking points.

I used to be an avid swimmer when I was younger. I do miss spending time at the pool.

I find this a little odd, especially since she was months away from getting married. However, I'm sure she had a good reason for guarding her past.

I think it's setting the stage for a moment of regret.

I think as a result of their fight she elected to take some time away. I don't really see her as being mentally ill - just a person who needed some alone time to evaluate her life.

7. Lucie has not just lost memories, but also it seems part of her sense of identity (e.g. not knowing about her family, referring to a "dress shop", crying easily - "The old Lucie didn't cry"). Do you think that is realistic? Do our memories form our sense of self?
I feel that our memories shape who we are. It is even possible that she is repressing bad memories, thus altering her identity.

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

@Renee

1. I agree. This story has a bit of the "My husband's Secret" to it, but not as confusing with the characters

2. same here :D

4. I feel like this too. It makes me wonder about Grady's character (i.e. a bit of a doormat?) that he didn't mind not knowing much about her

5. yes that is very intriguing. Makes me think that perhaps the reunion won't go so well

6. Hmmm... Your comment makes me wonder if it has happened before and that is why she doesn't talk about her past?

7. good point

---------

@RebeccaNJ

1. I agree. I prefer multiple POVs

2. Awesome

3. It is very relaxing

6. That may be true... so then I wonder why San Francisco? I can only assume there is some significance to that

7. true

Anima Miejska | 757 comments Comments and questions: March 2
Chapters 1-5

I'm intrigued by the story, although I have my suspicion that it may evolve in a rather conventional way. I'm curious whether I find something totally unexpected, or not :). I like that we find out about various facts for different POVs.

This is my first book by this author. I read the synopsis in goodreads and I decided that this story may be interesting.

I admire that he has found out something that allows him to find this isolation and rest and gather thoughts. I am not much of a swimmer myself, but I have other activities that enable me to achieve this state of isolation.

It seems that she has rather difficult past or at least that is how she perceived it before the disappearance, perhaps it was too painful to dwell on it. On the other hand, in a situation like this, when she doesn't have her personal memories, there are no means to help her. I think that I would allow each couple to decide on them own, how much of their pasts they want to reveal.

I think she will be an importan part of Lucie's new life.

I think she wanted to escape and something happened, some kind of breakdown. I also think that perhaps she wasn't very happy with herself and this disorder allows her to build her personality from the scratches, or perhaps to reveal some deep-hidden traits. She behaves in an almost totally opposite way than before the disappearance.

I believe that our memories are important if not crucial part of our identity. I suspect that due to memory loss Lucie may have a chance to become a person more "truer" to herself, without various restrictions and limitations that she imposed on herself due to difficult pasts or social expectations or her own decisions. When Grady talks about her from before the disappearance I have the feeling that Lucie was perfectionist and ambitious and health conscious mainly because she didn't want to confront with some difficult emotions and it was her way to escape. When there were too many feelings cumulated, she quarreled with Grady and thus allowed herself to lower the tensions. It is a well-known psychological mechanism.

message 31: by Bexy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bexy | 4 comments 1. What are your initial impressions? Do you like the writing style?

I like it. The story is opening in an intriguing way, invites you to turn the page and keep reading to see how the story evolves.

I was part of the free book offer. I have not read any other books by this author so it's a great opportunity.

I used to be. Swimming can be very therapeutic.

By doing this it has created intrigue into which way the story could go. However it does appear like the relationship she left was not really functioning on all levels.

They way this was introduced indicated that there is more to the story and I believe it will be an important part so all the characters to move forward.

I think it relates to trauma, with the triggers not 100% clear as yet.

Memories anchor us and provide perspective on who we are. So losing them turns everything on its head. However this could be an opportunity for Lucie to review who she constructed ver the years and whether this is authentic.

Zonnah | 457 comments
Chapters 1-5

(view spoiler)

Katie.g Comments and questions: March 2
Chapters 1-5

It sounds interesting so far. The writing style is fine and I like the different perspectives.

I read the synopsis and it sparked my interest. I haven't read anything else by this author.

I used to love swimming as a child, the sense of freedom, of effortlessness it gave. I don't often swim as an adult but I can understand the need to disassociate yourself from the world around you sometimes.

Personally I think this shows a lack of trust or closeness in the relationship. She should have been able to divulge some aspects of her childhood even if it was too painful to disclose everything. It does add to the mystery of the story though.

I also am intrigued. Helen sounds like a decent woman who truly cares about Lucie. Something must have happened to cause them to have no contact.

I think the second option is more likely. Something clearly is going on beneath the surface. But my personal opinion is that some traumatic experience from her past affected her.

I think that yes, memories do give us a sense of self and place in the world. Without them, I think Lucie will be more like the person she was as a child, more vulnerable and some experiences that shaped her will no longer have a hold over her.

Saxonjus | 43 comments 1 Im still making my mind up if I like the style or not

2 I was lucky to win a free e reader copy & Ive enjoyed other BOM's

3 I love the water too & yes I can identify with the freedom,pleasure & the sheer intoxication of floating in water.

4 A lot of people keep snippets from the past from those around them either because they wish a fresh start or they fear the past?

5 Im not intruiged enough yet guess for me its the writing style again

6 Im still considering possibilities maybe she got scared & chose the "flight" option.She could have just meant to have time out but circumstances caused her to stay away? Or maybe other factors will energe later on in the book

7 Her nemories are what makes Lucie she could have blanked them out to protect herself.The mind can play tricks.

message 35: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

@Anima

1. I wondered this too, but I think it is just because I was thinking of Before I Go To Sleep ;)

3. what are your "isolation" activiies?

4. that's true - she has been so secretive she can't find out the truth now

6. true

7. Yes I think you are right, she may have taken on many 'coping mechanisms' that changed whom she seemed to be

------------

@Bexy

1. I agree, it is quite a page turner

4. Indeed

7. I hope she is able to

-----------

@Zonnah

2. You have been doing a very good job at it so far! ;)

3. Oh no! That's a shame. Do you know where it stems from? I habe a friend who had a similar fear, but once she had children she reaslised she had to face it and so did swimming lessons in her late 30s. I really respected her decision

6. oh, perhaps!

------------

@Katie.g

3. It is not often we do this these days. Even when "relaxing" people have heir ipad or similar out (me included!)

4. I don't think I could marry someone who ws unable to divulge important aspects of their past

6. I agree

-----------

@Saxonjus

3. good description :)

6. yes, the whole fight or flight instinct may have kicked in

7. true!

Tracy (tracyisreading) 1. My initial impression:I'm curious to read on and see where the story takes us. The style is ok, it's simple and flows, it's a quick read. I tend to enjoy stories where the different characters tell their point of view.

2.I couldn't resist the offer of a free book, also, I liked the cover and it sounded interesting. I have never read anything by this author before...come to think of it I don't even know if/ what else she has written.

3. I'm not really a pool person. I do love to snorkel though....something about the feeling of floating and the silence and all of those beautiful fish :-)

4. I think that part of the beauty of marriage is having someone to share yourself with. Our relationships are defined by how well we know the other person. Having said that, I believe that in the case of traumatic memories, there doesn't necessarily need to be complete detail given. For example I would think that your spouse should be aware of any abusive relationships you endured in the past, because it will effect your relationship,but if it's too damaging to discuss the exact details that should be respected.

5. Aunt Helen....hmmmm. not really intrigued yet. She seems like a nice woman ( from her own point of view). It sounds like Lucie broke off the relationship, but I'm not convinced that it was their relationship that was so traumatic to Lucie.

6. I have two theories, the first is that the fight she had with Grady triggered a traumatic memory from her past causing her to go into a fugue state and run. The second theory is that they were fighting over her past and reliving it caused her fugue state and flight.

7. I definitely think our memories and experiences help shape our personality. I think this is probably part of the underlying reason for a fugue state- like you just need to erase it and start with a clean slate.

message 37: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Mar 02, 2014 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Comments and questions: March 2
Chapters 1-5

My initial impression of the story is that it is going to be a good book and I like the POV of the characters. I also think that the 2 characters are going to find out more about each other and their future will become much better than before. I like the writing style it gives you a POV of the characters, which is good because Lucie doesn't have much information than what she knows.

I decided to join because the synopsis of the book made it sound interesting and it was even better that I was also one of the winner of the book. I really enjoy having others views of a books and I recommendations too. I think that was also the reason why I join GR. It had so many different books that I would have probably missed because either I didn't know they excited or never read any of the books from the author. Plus some of my friends, including my sister, are not to willing to read certain books genres. Where I'm willing to read many kinds of genres and love recommendations. I like variety when it comes to books. I hate when some of my friends play the prude person when I know they like yummy sex in books just as much as the next. So being here with all types of reading is what lead me to join. I have never read anything from this author and she has done well in keeping my interest.

Yes, I can too because there are just times that you need to be alone and just be able to think without all of the distractions of others. I am not a professional
swimmer but I love swimming in my pool and when I go on vacation. My family say that I should have been a fish instead of a human. LOL

I think Lucie had a rough time living with her aunt and she just didn't want to think about that time since Grady describes her as a strong person that maybe she just doesn't want anyone to see her as a weak or emotional person but I think that when you are marrying someone they should be able to know all of you and not just part of you and I believe that this amnesia is going to do that.

I was also intrigued by this too. I was wondering if that fact that she couldn't have child made her resent having Lucie around or maybe she wasn't she was abusive to Lucie and that is why she doesn't like her or wants to be around her anymore. It's a little unnerving when she states that she doesn't want to be to close to the child because she doesn't want to scare her. Something happened and I can't wait to find out.

I think that something bad happened between Lucie and her aunt and the fight between her and Grady had must have triggered something from her past to make her lose her memory or maybe this was something that has happened to her once before but since she has been in control of everything in her life that nothing triggered it and caused her amnesia as a way of protecting herself.

I think Lucie is being the person that she has been trying to hidden under her tough exterior. I believe that her loss of memory is a way of showing who she really is instead of the person she hides behind.

message 38: by Sarah (last edited Mar 02, 2014 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 3273 comments Starting now - love the first quote - "Love is short, forgetting is so long" by Pablo Neruda. Yes. I understand this. Leaves a little taste of tears in my mouth, a little lump in my throat of things loved and lost. For when we love, doesn't it take the rest of our lifetime to forget?

Sarah | 3273 comments The book I finished is We Are Water. Water is definitely a theme right now, that mutable element, it follows the path of least resistance.

Kaora (ophelja) 1. What are your initial impressions? Do you like the writing style?
I really do. There is some beautiful imagery and it has definitely drawn me in. I get the impression that things are all going to be connected and significant (the constant reference to water, etc) and I love those kinds of books that make me think!

I haven't. I thought the blurb sounded interesting.

I'm not, I used to enjoy the pool though so I can understand where he's coming from. I used to hold my breath in my grandma's pool and see how far I could make it.

Sounds like she had something extremely traumatizing happen to her as a child. I'm of the mind that shutting things out doesn't help and I think this is linked to her memory loss as a result of emotional trauma. Maybe her past came back?

I'm curious to see what happened to make them fall out. Seems like her aunty wanted a relationship with Lucie, but seems Lucia wasn't of the same mind. Did she blame her aunt for her parents? Will have to read on!

Sounds like she needed to escape, something that she does often. Escaping her past, etc. She has some issues she needs to deal with and its difficult to move on in life if she doesn't face them.

I think they do. Your memories shape who you are. Its not just nature... Its also nurture.

message 41: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 02, 2014 03:35PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Pictures of the Alcatraz Open Water Invitational Event. I think Lucie would have stuck out like a sore thumb:

description
description

message 42: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 02, 2014 03:42PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments San Francisco General Hospital:
description

Tracy (tracyisreading) Lisarenee- you forgot the picture of the S&M shop ....

message 44: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 02, 2014 06:07PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments S&M shop? I don't remember one of those. Um, what store are you thinking of because what's coming to my mind wasn't part of this book.

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Eep. Will post answers tomorrow. Just finished with my son's birthday party and I'm going to fall down.

Turtlecollector Dennis | 1164 comments Comments and questions: March 2
Chapters 1-5

My initial impression of this book is good. Usually this style annoys me, when the POV changes from person to person every chapter, but there are a few authors I love like this(Jodi Picoult, Heather Gudenkauf). I think Jennie Shortridge makes the book flow well in this format and it will be easy to read.

I have had another book of hers on my TBR for awhile, When She Flew. My community has a program every year to get as many people as possible to read the same book and then the author comes to give a talk. For this, I read a book called My Abandonment and the author mentioned she had written one based on the same true story.

When I saw the giveaway for this book, I couldn't pass up the chance to get it since this is the first BOM in this group this year that fit into my reading schedule.

Not a swimmer, but I can understand needing time to myself.

I don't think there should be a set time frame, but I think eventually most things will be shared in a committed relationship. It needs to come out naturally as the relationship progresses.

I have a bad feeling there is something bad to do with her deceased uncle. I didn't like that she won't talk about scars that look like cigarette burns.

Something traumatic happened either during the fight with her fiance or right after it.

It seems realistic to me, but I don't know much about amnesia except what I read in books or see on TV shows.

message 47: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

@Tracy

1. I am with you

3. Totally. The first time I snorkelled was at the Great Barrier Reef. I could've stayed out there for days

4. true

6. Good theories

---------

@Carmen

1. yes, if it was all Lucie it wouldn't be very interesting ;)

2. I agree, GR is great for opening up to new books/authors/genres. I read a tremendous amount of YA now!

3. lol!

5. yes it is strange. Clearly lots to uncover here

---------

@Sarah

That is a great quote. I'm glad you mentioned it as I had already forgotten it

--------

@Allison

1. Yes, the imagery is lovely

4. Yes you may be right

----------

@Turtlecollector

1. It does flow well, good point. It doesn't feel choppy

2. Awesome. It will be great to see how you think the books compare

5. yes that is a worry

Tracy (tracyisreading) Lisarenee wrote: "S&M shop? I don't remember one of those. Um, what store are you thinking of because what's coming to my mind wasn't part of this book."

Lol, sorry...it was just a snippet in the description of Grady walking to find a pool.too much night shift for me this weekend, my sense of humor was punchy....

message 49: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Tracy wrote: "Lisarenee wrote: "S&M shop? I don't remember one of those. Um, what store are you thinking of because what's coming to my mind wasn't part of this book."

Lol, sorry...it was just a snippet in the ..."

Well, you made me laugh and look a little crossed eyed at the screen wondering.

message 50: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 03, 2014 06:43AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Images of Seattle:

description
description
description

« previous 1 3 4