Divergent (Divergent, #1) Divergent discussion

Should I Read This?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Pauline I just Wanted to Get Recommendations from the People Who Read This Book.

Can You Guys Tell if this book is Similar to The Hunger Games or The Host.

Tell Me What You Think!

Judith I really have liked this book , i think that the similarities between Hunger Games and Divergent is that both are dystopias and their main girls characters have strong personalities.
But thats all.
I considered them different.
I really recommend it to you.

Kristen I haven't read the Host, so I can't say on that one. But it is similar to the Hunger Games. Totally different story, but it's the same genre with a few similarities and has a similar feel.

However, many people, including myself, found the end of the series to be a huge disappointment. So keep that in mind. The first two books were great, but the third sort of ruins the whole thing.

Robin i have yet to read the host yet (on my ever-growing to-read list) but i have read the hunger games series. aside from both of them taking place in dystopian societies and the main character is a teenage girl, i dont feel that they were THAT similar. i actually enjoyed the divergent series more, though i am part of the "didnt love the third book due to a couple of things that happened club" but i wouldnt say dont read it. a lot of people also felt it was a good ending so who knows, maybe you will be part of that category.

Pauline Thank You Guys! For The Recommendations.

a Lot Of People have Recommended me This Book so Guess i'm Gonna Give it Try. :-)

Maria I am actually reading book 2 of this series Insurgent.Divergent was really good i enjoyed it. The movie comes out in theaters this march.

Kenzie The first two books are amazing, then just like Mockingjay, the third and final book of the trilogy will leave you feeling empty inside. It honestly makes you want to throw the book against the wall and wish you had never read it. Otherwise, the series is amazing, just like the hunger games is.

Lynne Stringer I enjoyed both Divergent and Insurgent, but I had a lot of problems with the plot of Allegiant. I felt it was poorly written and the ending upset lots of fans. I don't want to give too much away, but it probably depends how invested you become in worlds like this.

message 9: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna Eh, honestly?
I just finished it and recommend you safe yourself the trouble of reading. It's nothing "The Hunger Games" (though it certainly tries).
The world building is pretty weak and so are the characters.
On the upside the prose is easy to read. (whole thing didn't take me more than 2 days.)

Amber I read the first book and I won't be reading the 2nd. The main character was annoying the story line wasn't all that great or believable. Maybe also because I live outside chicago? I'd like to say it was just that but it simply wasn't. I have questions that was not answered and if they do or would be answered in the 2nd book I wouldn't know because it didn't leave me with the drive to want to continue on after the first book. It was easy to get through it was simply written you can speed read right threw it. The Hunger Games was well put together compared to this.

Jennifer Walsh If you like the Hunger Games you will LOVE this. Honestly, it's similar in theme and style but the story is entirely its own!! Took me about 100 pages to get into it but I absolutely loved it!

Lynne Stringer I didn't think it was that similar to the Hunger Games. Maybe a little in style, but certainly the plot itself was completely different.

Yani Definitely yes. This book is just great. Maybe one of the best book i have ever read. The story in it is different and inetersting and you just cant to not like it.

amanda i really like this book! you should read it! the second book is also very good, but the last one is a bit disappointing

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Read it!!! It's wonderful!!

Marianne Pauline wrote: "Thank You Guys! For The Recommendations.

a Lot Of People have Recommended me This Book so Guess i'm Gonna Give it Try. :-)"

Go ahead. You're missing something if you don't ! It's different from Hunger Games even if there is a few similarities in the ideas. But, I think the writing was better than Hunger Games, even if some people don't agree with me.

And totally different from the Host ! (But your question is funny because I read both this week :) )

Emily Potter I really like this book and you should read it. I went into this thinking that it was going a sappy love story but it was not. Its filled with drama and dark at times. Something happens every 5 seconds and your missing out if you choose not to read this book

Eliza Foran Highly recommend this quick read if you're reading it with a friend. Some of the plot twists are good. Major plots points are predictable. Enjoyable, but do not expect stunning literature.

Hope you like it.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

You should DEFINITELY read it!
I read it, and it's SO good!
I dunno about the last book, though...
It gets a little depressing in Allegiant.

Kristin I totally think you should read it, i loved the first book and could not put it down.
But be prepared for the ending is awful. So try to keep your expectations low

Pamela Ferreyra Pauline wrote: "I just Wanted to Get Recommendations from the People Who Read This Book.

Can You Guys Tell if this book is Similar to The Hunger Games or The Host.

Tell Me What You Think!"

Yes is kinda like the hunger games because the main character is a brave girl but try to not compare it with other book. Read it, trust me. Maybe you will love it as much as I do. Is the only one I love from the series

Daniel Mala If your into trilogies that start off with a mediocre book, followed by a poorly written one and ending with junk, This ones for you!

Randi Royer Daniel wrote: "If your into trilogies that start off with a mediocre book, followed by a poorly written one and ending with junk, This ones for you!"

I totally agree. This book has no substance whatsoever and has too many plot holes to make any sense. If you can look past nonexistent logic, by all means waste your time. the first book was strongest (which isn't saying much) and the second left me thinking "what on earth did I just read? this took two weeks to read and I can say in one word what happened--NOTHING" I won't even mention the third one. It was a load of crap as far as I'm concerned. the whole trilogy was a load of crap.