Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Moonstruck Madness (Dominick, #1)
This topic is about Moonstruck Madness
90 views
Discussions and Questions > McBain's Moonstruck Madness - Is the recent edition sanitized?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

KatieV | 112 comments I've seen this book on lots of bodice ripper lists and after reading it, I don't understand why. I realize there's no one hard and fast definition for the genre, but IMHO - at minimum - there should be a attempted rape/rape/forced seduction scenario between the H/h. There was none. The few sex scenes present were very consensual, unless you want to split hairs over the dubiousness of the h's consent when she had amnesia.

So, are others just operating under a different definition of the genre or is this a case of selective editing to make a book more PC to modern audiences? I'm dying to know.

Thanks in advance.


message 2: by Regan (last edited Feb 05, 2014 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Regan Walker (regansromance) KatieV wrote: "I've seen this book on lots of bodice ripper lists and after reading it, I don't understand why. I realize there's no one hard and fast definition for the genre, but IMHO - at minimum - there shou..."

Katie,
I agree with you as to the elements of a bodice ripper and am still cleaning up my Best Bodice Rippers list (http://reganromancereview.blogspot.co...) of those that really aren't but other readers have recommended. I think some people don't understand the definition.


KatieV | 112 comments Regan wrote: "Regan wrote: "....I think some people don't understand the definition."

Definitely agreed on the definition. For curiosity, I googled it and in some cases I agree with the definition used, but in others it is basically defined as a historical romance written primarily in the 70s, 80's with a 'heaving bosom' cover. I thought the urban dictionary summed it up nicely with the tongue-in-cheek def of -

An historical romance where the heroine has lots of non-consensual sex, which becomes consensual. The book needs to have a gaudy cover with a woman with an extraordinarily long neck, heaving bosoms, and flowing hair, and a brooding man.

Anyway, have you read the book and if so, what edition? I was wondering what you thought re: does it fit the genre or has it been sanitized in later editions?

BTW: Am glad you're planning to narrow down your list to the more specific definition, because I'm planning on working my way through it. I like non BRs too, but when I'm in the mood for a BR, I want it to actually be one.


message 4: by Regan (last edited Feb 05, 2014 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Regan Walker (regansromance) KatieV wrote: "Regan wrote: "Regan wrote: "....I think some people don't understand the definition."

Definitely agreed on the definition. For curiosity, I googled it and in some cases I agree with the definition..."


Katie,
I read this edition (in paper with this cover): http://www.amazon.com/Moonstruck-Madn.... I have no idea if an earlier edition might have been a real bodice ripper. This one was not. McBain certainly wrote them and you will see hers on my list. I have read and rated 4 or 5 stars all the books on my list but some I could not recall if they specifically had a "bodice ripping" scene, though I was pretty sure they did or I did not add them. Btw, I love the old covers!!


Regan Walker (regansromance) KatieV wrote: "Regan wrote: "Regan wrote: "....I think some people don't understand the definition."

Definitely agreed on the definition. For curiosity, I googled it and in some cases I agree with the definition..."


Katie,
I've sent out some inquiries and will let you know what I learn.


KatieV | 112 comments Regan wrote: "I read this edition (in paper with this cover): http://www.amazon.com/Moonstruck-Madn.... I have no idea if an earlier edition might have been a real bodice ripper. This one was not...."

Thanks for the response. Looks like you read the newer edition as well. I was mostly just curious since apparently some reissues are edited. For example, I have heard that Whitney, My Love was "sanitized" in a newer edition to take out some scenes that were controversial. Because of that, I made sure I tracked down a first edition (haven't gotten around to reading it yet). The authors have the right to do whatever they want with their own works, but I definitely want to know if I'm dealing with a revised edition. I'm still wondering what changes were made to Kleypas' Only in Your Arms to make it When Strangers Marry. Kleypas did very distinctly state it was a re-write, however. I do know for a fact that the Jennifer Blake reissues are the same as the originals because I have most of them.

BTW: I love the old covers too. My avatar is from a foreign language edition of The Flame and the Flower. My very first romance when I was 13. I stayed up all night. *grins*


Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 838 comments Mod
Regan wrote: "KatieV wrote: "Regan wrote: "Regan wrote: "....I think some people don't understand the definition."

Definitely agreed on the definition. For curiosity, I googled it and in some cases I agree with..."


I agree with Katie on this one,I wouldn't classify it as a BR and I have all 3 original books. Now I cant say if it has been re-printed what it contains, but I found the 3(original) in this trilogy that I have didn't have those elements.


KatieV | 112 comments Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "I agree with Katie on this one,I wouldn't classify it as a BR and I have all 3 original books. Now I cant say if it has been re-printed what it contains, but I found the 3(original) in this trilogy that I have didn't have those elements."

Awesome, thanks. I hate to think I've missed something.


Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 838 comments Mod
And the older covers beat (most) of the newer ones any day!


Regan Walker (regansromance) Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "And the older covers beat (most) of the newer ones any day!"

Sandi,
I am writing a medieval now, The Red Wolf's Prize, and the cover I've designed harkens back to the old ones.


Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 838 comments Mod
I'm looking forward to seeing it Regan! It's nice to hear that an author cares what her book will look like when finished. I thought in today's publishing market the author had little choice in that?


Regan Walker (regansromance) Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "I'm looking forward to seeing it Regan! It's nice to hear that an author cares what her book will look like when finished. I thought in today's publishing market the author had little choice in that?"

You are mostly right. For my first three novels, I got my publisher to agree to let me be leading the cover process. For my medieval, however, I'm planning on self publishing. So, it's mine!


message 13: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) I think a lot of books with that type of cover and/or originally published in that time period get lumped into the Bodice Ripper category whether they belong there or not.

I also know that some get cleaned up and made more PC in later editions. I have experience it myself with books I read years ago in print and then go them when they popped up as ebook freebies. I can't name any off the top of my head at the moment though.


Misfit Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I think a lot of books with that type of cover and/or originally published in that time period get lumped into the Bodice Ripper category whether they belong there or not.

I also know that some g..."


Exactly right about the cover, you just don't know. I've picked up a lot of these that screamed BR and they turned out to be solid historicals.

Been a couple of years, but I read the original version of this McBain book and don't recall it being terribly OTT with sex scenes.


KatieV | 112 comments Thanks all. I read all the negative 1 & 2 star reviews I could find and I don't think this ever was a BR. As you probably already know, that's a great way to sniff out true BRs. I believe it's a case of what Mary said: "... books with that type of cover and/or originally published in that time period get lumped into the Bodice Ripper category whether they belong there or not.

I even saw one review that said something like "this was a great bodice ripper because there was no rape or forced seduction".

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride


message 16: by BRNTerri (new) - added it

BRNTerri | 11 comments To my knowledge none of McBain's reissues were censored/rewritten.


Regan Walker (regansromance) BRNTerri wrote: "To my knowledge none of McBain's reissues were censored/rewritten."

So the conclusion is that Moonstruck Madness is not a bodice ripper--just as I thought!


back to top