Sumner F Period discussion

Blog 1 Fault in Our Stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Madelyn (new)

Madelyn Bomar In the first 30 pages of John Greens’ “Fault in our Stars”, I was immeadiately hooked upon first reading it. The quote that stood out most to me was on page 23 where he says that Augustus Waters, “He sighed in a way that made me wonder whether he was confident about the existence of someday,” (13). This is significant because the book often mentions death and an afterlife, and the main character, Hazel Grace, is intruiged by the existence of Augustus. John Green perfectly illustrates the importance and signifigance of a simple sigh. Any normal human being would not put a high significance on an everyday humanistic act of sighing, but the tone in Gus’ voice makes her believe that maybe he does or doesn’t believe in his life beyond his cancer. She notices these things about him and stows them away in her mind for future use, which serves to her benefit because of how she remembers the little details about Augustus. I guess it just serves to prove that if you are observant to other people’s flaws, actions, and mannerisms, you will be succeptible to a tunnel to the inside of their heart, which is their deepest fears, desires, and hopes. This ultimately leads to better understanding your peer, and strengthening your relationship with them.

message 2: by Madelyn (last edited Feb 21, 2014 06:47AM) (new)

Madelyn Bomar In pages 30-60, the quote that stands out the most to me is when John Green wrote, “Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.” This is very powerful because it speaks to the truth that not everyone has the same life span. Some people are meant to live a day, some are meant to live a hundred years. God has a plan for each of our lives and he has a set date when we will eventually go home and live with him in paradise forever. Although the characters in this book are not Christians, it doesn’t speak to the views of a Christian life that life is indeed short, even though it is cliché, but even with that, short is a relative term. When someone passes as a teenager, we say that they lived a short life. But when an infant passes away after only living for a few hours, they live a “short” life as well. This speaks to my life in that I often forget that at any moment I could be taken home to live with my heavenly father. But I am distracted by the stress and complications of my own life that are tiny in comparison to the life that I will live when I go to heaven. Heaven is such a glorious place and a human's heart and mind and body and soul cannot even comprehend how much God loves me. I am caught up in the daily motions and in my routines and i often forget that there is a God in heaven who loves me forever.

message 3: by Madelyn (last edited Feb 21, 2014 06:43AM) (new)

Madelyn Bomar The quote that stood out to me most in this weeks reading, of 60-90 was when the narrarator, Hazel Grace says that “I believe the universe wants to be noticed. I think the universe is inprobably biased toward the consciousness, that it rewards intelligence in part because the universe enjoys its elegance being observed. And who am I, living in the middle of history, to tell the universe that it-or my observation of it-is temporary?” Although this is slightly scientific and evolutionary, It still speaks to my life because I agree that sometimes I feel this way too even though I don't believe in scientific destiny or evolution. I think that in a way, the world does want to be "noticed", even though it is not a living thing. The world is tangible, but at the same time, isn't a live being like a human is. I think that through ways of cancer and traumatic deaths, the world longs to be accepted and get attention. Much like a child who wants to be noticed, the world wants to get credit or possibly dis credit for its actions.People, even me, forget about the world itself sometimes because they are so caught up in the everyday routines of living. I need to constantly remind myself to remember that the God of the universe wants a relationship with me and he wants to pursue me and life a life in my heart. Sometimes i forget the capacity of God's love for me.

message 4: by Madelyn (last edited Feb 21, 2014 06:37AM) (new)

Madelyn Bomar “You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them.” (pg. 90-120) This quote rings true to me in that the feeling of missing and longing for someone has much more passion and much more intensity than just loving someone. But, it depends on the situation of two lovers. I think that personally for me I haven't experienced love on such a deep level, but i have exprienced missing someone alot. That is the worst feeling to me is when someone is in your atmosphere or in your life but you still cannot be with them. Some people are meant to live a day, some are meant to live a hundred years. God has a plan for each of our lives and he has a set date when we will eventually go home and live with him in paradise forever. Maybe you pass them in the hallways or see them out, but you know you cannot have them. Or in some cases, you know that it will be toxic if you do. This applies to me because I have relationships in my life where I cannot be with them because it will end up hurting me more than it will help me. Sometimes I get too caught up in visualizing my life now as opposed to long term, or down the road.

message 5: by Madelyn (last edited Feb 21, 2014 07:04AM) (new)

Madelyn Bomar for 120-150, Hazel Grace says to Augustus, “I'm a grenade and at some point I'm going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?” She says this because she has terminal cancer and should die from it. Hazel is expecting herself to die, and she doesnt want to hurt the people around her. She knows that humans take life very seriously, so she does not want to burden other people with her own tragic death. This applies to me because sometimes I feel like I'm too broken or too messy for someone, much less a God to love me. I know that this is not true, but i still fall short in believing the truths that God has for me. Jesus does not want me to stray from him, yet he still gives me the conscious choice to follow him. Following him involves giving a part of yourself to the service and worship of him, and giving your all to his glory. It is my mission to devote myself to loving him fully and completely. Once you open up your heart to loving him, the door is opened to a life with him. You might experience things you could have never even imagined, and your previous setbacks and challenges will be obliterated.

message 6: by Madelyn (new)

Madelyn Bomar For pages 150-180, “I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.” This quote is significant and applicable to my life because I disagree. I dont think that we all turn to dust, because of my christian faith, I believe that our final home is in heaven for eternity with God. It wont matter what happens to the physical earth and it wont matter if the sun swallows up the earth or the earth is shattered or turns to dust, what will matter is if we are in love with God and where we will be when Jesus comes back again to restore the world. Jesus says that he will rebuild the temple in 3 days, which applies to us living now. We can have a bright hope in the face of glory and believing in the hope that Christ defines for us in his word. I sometimes forget to spend time in his word, but i normally dont struggle with going to him in prayer. Jesus pursues us to the highest peak of the mountains, which means that he will meet us where we are.