UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Holy heck - look at this

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.L. (last edited Feb 05, 2014 07:22AM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-...
Flooding washed away the line in Dawlish.

message 2: by Beverley (new)

Beverley Carter | 199 comments It's like something out of a Hollywood film, it's absolutely unbelievable and my heart goes out to all of those affected by this.

message 3: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments Yes, indeed.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11046 comments I think that's what I saw earlier, you wouldn't think water could do so much damage

message 5: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments I've been over that stretch of railway track so often. It's a lovely bit of the railway and we always got a thrill as kids that we could see the beach from the train.

I lived in Cornwall for long enough to be well aware of the power of a stormy sea.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Scary.
Have often made the trip on the Tarka line down to Mum's (Barnstaple)
Now I see there are no trains beyond Exeter to Penzance etc .
Just been listening to the news on Radio 4 about the farmers trying to relocate their cattle to higher ground. How come we manage to send convoys of aid overseas & all the zillions of dosh, but we can't help our own people?

message 7: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments I'm hoping that they rebuild the line where it was, rather than relocate it inland.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Absolutely, but it's so vulnerable - and if the climate change predictions are correct, this isn't the last time this will happen

message 9: by Beverley (new)

Beverley Carter | 199 comments Apparently there are more storms and high winds coming Friday and Saturday. I feel so sorry for everyone down there. I can't help but wonder if this is the culmination of years of neglecting drainage and sea defences. We can't stop it raining and we can't stop the tides but surely it is not beyond the wit of someone at the Environment Agency to stop the water from just sitting there for weeks on end. I just read on the BBC website that there is 25 square miles of Somerset currently under flood water. It must be frightening and absolutely heart breaking to be caught up in all that.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments That's scary. One of those shots looks uncannily like a nightmare I had not so long ago. My nightmares are nearly always about huge waves. I hope everyone's ok and that it settles very soon.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments The only consolation is that it isn't snow.
Keep getting emails from my uncle in Connecticut - snow and more snow on the way, followed by another big snow storm on the way.

I thought the least we could have done was help get livestock 'somewhere' - isn't there a contingency plan, with people compensated for the extra work feeding/caring for the animals?
Seems only the other day there was hot debate about piping water down from Scotland...
February fill-dyke is usually a wet month, but it hasn't really stopped since November.

message 12: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Now you see, Karen, I always understood the term February Fill-dyke to mean it was the month that filled the most graves (or dykes, or ditches as they've variously been known). Peak month for the old and infirm dying. The old people used to say. 'If we see February out we'll see another Christmas.'

And on that jolly note...!

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Kath wrote: "Now you see, Karen, I always understood the term February Fill-dyke to mean it was the month that filled the most graves (or dykes, or ditches as they've variously been known). Peak month for the ..."

"February fill dike Be it black or be it white; But if it be white, It's the better to like" Apparently. So snow in Feb is good. I know my dad always used to call it poor man's manure. But then we oldies do say a lot of strange things :)

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21839 comments Yes snow is a way of storing water, if you read 'Quiet Flows the Don' he mentions the peasants carting snow onto their fields so that it'll melt and provide enough moisture to carry the crop through summer.
This might be true in the East of England as well but not here in the west :-)

message 15: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments I've only just spotted this thread. I blogged earlier this week about some of the effects of the Westcountry storms on those of us living in the area.

http://www.bjburton.co.uk/blog-2/

message 16: by Kath (last edited Mar 13, 2014 05:16AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I read your blog post BJ. I love the pictures. They make it so real.

message 17: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Is that you in the photos BJ?

message 18: by B J (last edited Mar 13, 2014 06:47AM) (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments No, Jud - that's my grandfather. ;-)

message 19: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments Kath wrote: "I read your blog post BJ. I love the pictures. They make it so real."

Thanks, Kath. I don't remember the hyacinths being that really intense colour before. They must have really enjoyed all the rain - or the lack of frost.

message 20: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments B J wrote: "No, Jud - that's my grandfather. ;-)"

:o)

'Like'

message 21: by Karen (last edited Mar 13, 2014 01:10PM) (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments Enjoyed your blog BJ. Used to travel down to Barnstaple regularly, and the rail line was often underwater. We're used to flooding here on the Severn in Shropshire and are at last enjoying the fruits of the very controversial flood defence spending. If you accept that this is going to happen on a regular basis as it does here, then money has to be spent to protect businesses and homes - quite how the farmers cope with it, I don't know. My family research found my great grandparents moving closer from mid Wales to the English border, and they ended up on a farm at the confluence of the rivers Severn and Vrynwy, which is a floodplain, and regularly underwater between Autumn and Spring.

message 22: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments Hi Karen. We're going to Barnstaple for a few days next week. We'd normally go by train as each part of the rail line is so picturesque, but we don't have the option this time. When I was a teenager in Birmingham I used to catch a Midland Red to go fishing in Bewdley or Bridgnorth. I once turned up to find the river twice as wide as it should have been. Heavy rain/flooding is one unpleasant problem and gales/rough seas another. To have them both for two solid months has left us all feeling somewhat battered.

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments You have our sympathies BJ, I just wish there was some easy solution. As you say, it's not just a river flooding, it's the high tides & storms too. Trouble is, this may be a pattern for a while to come. Such a beautiful area too, and a fragile economy.