Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

The Girl in the Gatehouse
This topic is about The Girl in the Gatehouse
Archived Group Reads 2014 > Early Feb - The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Feb 05, 2014 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel Brand Kalena, Gwen, Elizabeth and I are planning to read The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen this month! Anyone else is more than welcome to join us :)

The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen

Miss Mariah Aubrey, banished after a scandal, hides herself away in a long-abandoned gatehouse on the far edge of a distant relative's estate. There, she supports herself and her loyal servant the only way she knows how--by writing novels in secret.

Captain Matthew Bryant, returning to England successful and wealthy after the Napoleonic wars, leases an impressive estate from a cash-poor nobleman, determined to show the society beauty who once rejected him what a colossal mistake she made. When he discovers an old gatehouse on the property, he is immediately intrigued by its striking young inhabitant and sets out to uncover her identity, and her past. But the more he learns about her, the more he realizes he must distance himself. Falling in love with an outcast would ruin his well-laid plans.

The old gatehouse holds secrets of its own. Can Mariah and Captain Bryant uncover them before the cunning heir to the estate buries them forever?

Dana I'm going to read it, just have to finish the one I'm on! I should start this weekend!

Gwendolyn Gage | 4 comments I'll be reading this weekend. ;-)

Rachel Brand I think I'm probably going to start this weekend as well!

Kalena (bookt2) | 138 comments I have major catch-up to do!! Will start today. :)

Cathy Bryant (authorcathybryant) | 19 comments I have read it. I loved it! I may read it again this week. :)

message 7: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 23 comments I'm pretty sure I have this one on Kindle. I'll see if I can work it in.

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 311 comments I read it last weekend & finished it on Monday ~ I really enjoyed it. Loved all the links to Jane Austen in it.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I've downloaded it to my Kindle and will be starting it today; I'll also be watching some horse races today, so we'll see how much I get read!

message 10: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth | 2218 comments Mod
I've already read this one and loved it :) I'll probably pop in on the discussion or at least read through the posts.

message 11: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Feb 09, 2014 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loraine (librarydiva) | 3076 comments Mod
I've read this one as well so will pop in on the discussion.

message 12: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana starting today!

Cathy Bryant (authorcathybryant) | 19 comments Already read it, but re-reading it now. :)

Rachel Brand I started this last night and ended up reading nearly a hundred pages! I'm definitely finding it to be a quick read :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

This is not my month! I had this book on my Kindle. Well, my Kindle broke! I can't read an entire book the Kindle app on my phone (too hard on the eyes). I don't want to buy this book again in paper format. Guess I'm not meant to read this one!

Back to buying paperbacks for me - not purchasing another Kindle.

Cathy Bryant (authorcathybryant) | 19 comments Elizabeth wrote: "This is not my month! I had this book on my Kindle. Well, my Kindle broke! I can't read an entire book the Kindle app on my phone (too hard on the eyes). I don't want to buy this book again in pa..."

Sorry Elizabeth. :(

Rachel Brand I'm so sorry about your Kindle, Elizabeth! I've had mine for three years now and it's definitely starting to slow down, and I'm sort of waiting anxiously to see if finally "passes on" at some point. If you do get around to reading the book at some point in the future, I hope you enjoy it! I really like Julie Klassen's writing.

I think I'm about 2/3 of the way through this book. The details about the characters in the poor house are definitely making the story more intriguing. It's not what I'd expect from a book set in this era! How is everyone else finding it so far?

message 18: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elizabeth wrote: "This is not my month! I had this book on my Kindle. Well, my Kindle broke! I can't read an entire book the Kindle app on my phone (too hard on the eyes). I don't want to buy this book again in pa..."

Elizabeth you can read your kindle books on your computer if that is an option for you.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Loraine wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "This is not my month! I had this book on my Kindle. Well, my Kindle broke! I can't read an entire book the Kindle app on my phone (too hard on the eyes). I don't want to buy thi..."

Unfortunately that isn't an option for me.

Gwendolyn Gage | 4 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm so sorry about your Kindle, Elizabeth! I've had mine for three years now and it's definitely starting to slow down, and I'm sort of waiting anxiously to see if finally "passes on" at some point

I'm halfway through and totally delighted. The characters are wonderful, I love Martin. :-)

Rachel Brand I loved Martin too! I love Julie's secondary characters, they always feel so original and fleshed-out.

I finished this book on Tuesday evening. Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 311 comments Rachel wrote: "I loved Martin too! I love Julie's secondary characters, they always feel so original and fleshed-out.

I finished this book on Tuesday evening. Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!"

Martin was one of my favourites too...and also Dixon. Loved the parts they played in the story.

message 23: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana I'm still reading it, and getting nothing else done in the process...laundry? nope...cleaning? nope...reading? YES!

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 174 comments Is anyone willing to 'lend' the ebook for kindle ?
that would help out myself and @ELizabeth - many thanks!The Girl in the Gatehouse

Amanda (mandey1) | 46 comments I could. where do I send it?

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

writer... wrote: "Is anyone willing to 'lend' the ebook for kindle ?
that would help out myself and @ELizabeth - many thanks!The Girl in the Gatehouse"

Unfortunately, it wouldn't help me. My Kindle is dead. I had the book on my Kindle when it broke and I can no longer access it. Using the Kindle reading app or reading it on the computer are not options for me, so I guess I just won't be finishing it.

message 27: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth | 2218 comments Mod
Dana wrote: "I'm still reading it, and getting nothing else done in the process...laundry? nope...cleaning? nope...reading? YES!"

LOL! Love that :) This one was that kind of book for me too!

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 174 comments Amanda wrote: "I could. where do I send it?"

many thanks, Amanda =) really appreciate that..
send to faithhopecherrytea at [gmail.] com
HapPy reading ;)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 174 comments Elizabeth wrote: "writer... wrote: "Is anyone willing to 'lend' the ebook for kindle ?
that would help out myself and @ELizabeth - many thanks!The Girl in the Gatehouse"

Unfortunately, it wouldn't he..."

so sorry... have you called amazon to query on their response to the issues? I've had online chats as well as email replies for issues with mine.
Hoping something can be done for you ...

Amanda (mandey1) | 46 comments @writer. it's sent. happy reading!

message 31: by writer... (last edited Feb 16, 2014 06:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 174 comments Amanda wrote: "@writer. it's sent. happy reading!"
MUCH appreciation Amanda =) [it's arrived!!]
now moving it from 'want to read' to
'currently reading'! ;) Thanks to the amazing Amanda! <3

Kalena (bookt2) | 138 comments I realized that this is the first Klassen book I actually tried to read (I have been listening to audiobook versions beforehand.) I had to break down and buy the audiobook... I missed hearing it. That has definitely never happened before!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

writer... wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "writer... wrote: "Is anyone willing to 'lend' the ebook for kindle ?

Unfortunate..."

No I haven't contacted Amazon. I can just go back to reading books.

message 34: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth | 2218 comments Mod
Kalena wrote: "I realized that this is the first Klassen book I actually tried to read (I have been listening to audiobook versions beforehand.) I had to break down and buy the audiobook... I missed hearing it. ..."

I bet the audio books of her novels are really good - I'm guessing you recommend? :)

Rachel Brand Kalena wrote: "I realized that this is the first Klassen book I actually tried to read (I have been listening to audiobook versions beforehand.) I had to break down and buy the audiobook... I missed hearing it. ..."

I've actually never listened to Julie Klassen on audio before, although there are plenty of other authors that I do this with. I'll have to check out her audiobooks!

I know what you mean about getting used to listening to certain books on audio, especially if they all have the same narrator. I listened the first two books in Rosalind Lauer's Seasons of Lancaster series on audio, then got the third book to review from NetGalley and it felt really weird to not have Cassandra Campbell reading the story to me!

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 174 comments Kalena wrote: "I realized that this is the first Klassen book I actually tried to read (I have been listening to audiobook versions beforehand.) I had to break down and buy the audiobook... I missed hearing it. ..."

I checked out overdrive.com for my library and found 2 available, so I'll be checking those out soon =)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 174 comments Amanda wrote: "@writer. it's sent. happy reading!"

Oh Amanda I am soooo enjoying this book!
TY TY TY!! for lending it =) the BEST JK I've read yet!

message 38: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana I am loving it! only 25 pages to go, but I'm sleepy so I'm saving it for tomorrow....I want to savor the ending!

message 39: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Great book! Read this a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. Reminded me a lot of Jane Austen type books.

Kalena (bookt2) | 138 comments Beth wrote: "Kalena wrote: "I realized that this is the first Klassen book I actually tried to read (I have been listening to audiobook versions beforehand.) I had to break down and buy the audiobook... I miss..."

Yes! Narrators really matter to me and I am extremely comfortable with her voice and character inflections. Unfortunately, I relax so much I find myself nodding off in this one. I think I am just tired and this should not reflect poorly on the narrator or the author.

Overall, this one has been slower to draw me in even though I enjoy the setting. There is not as much driving the story for me--yet. I am a huge fan of Julie Klassen, so I cannot wait to see what unfolds. I am really looking forward to The Dancing Master so I hope it is a group read!

Kalena (bookt2) | 138 comments Rachel wrote: "Kalena wrote: "I realized that this is the first Klassen book I actually tried to read (I have been listening to audiobook versions beforehand.) I had to break down and buy the audiobook... I miss..."

I also wanted to remind Kindle owners that if you already own the book, purchasing the audiobook is inexpensive...I believe I paid a whopping $3.99. Totally worth it, in my opinion. :)

message 42: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana I loved it! I just posted a review on my new blog.

dmjreader.blogspot.com

message 43: by writer... (last edited Mar 04, 2014 10:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 174 comments Dana wrote: "I loved it! I just posted a review on my new blog.

dmjreader.blogspot.com"

Welcome to blogging, Dana!
lots of book blogs to hangout at and get to know the variety of weekly linkups...
welcome also to visit FHC blog

Kalena (bookt2) | 138 comments Well, I have not gotten into this story as much as her other books, but I will read all of Julie Klassen. Looking forward to the next one already. Reading The Maid of Fairbourne Hall next. I will probably work through Elizabeth Camden books after that!

Rachel Brand Kalena wrote: "Well, I have not gotten into this story as much as her other books, but I will read all of Julie Klassen. Looking forward to the next one already. Reading [book:The Maid of Fairbo..."

I loved The Maid of Fairbourne Hall! It was the first Klassen novel I ever read. Elizabeth Camden is great as well.

Kalena (bookt2) | 138 comments Rachel wrote: "Kalena wrote: "Well, I have not gotten into this story as much as her other books, but I will read all of Julie Klassen. Looking forward to the next one already. Reading The..."</i>

I already enjoy [book:The Maid of Fairbourne Hall
more. Have you read much from Elizabeth Camden??

Rachel Brand I've read two of her books so far, but I think I have her others on my Kindle. I loved The Rose of Winslow Street and really enjoyed Against the Tide.

Kalena (bookt2) | 138 comments Rachel wrote: "I've read two of her books so far, but I think I have her others on my Kindle. I loved The Rose of Winslow Street and really enjoyed Against the Tide."

Same here. I really enjoyed them both. I will probably read The Lady of Bolton Hill by Elizabeth Camden next. Who knows when that will be though?!? I am sure I can get to it by this summer... Maybe it will be a group or buddy read then.

Rachel Brand Kalena, I'd be happy to do that book as a buddy read with you sometime in the summer! Like you, I have a list of books that I keep meaning to get to...and it just keeps getting longer!

Kalena (bookt2) | 138 comments Rachel wrote: "Kalena, I'd be happy to do that book as a buddy read with you sometime in the summer! Like you, I have a list of books that I keep meaning to get to...and it just keeps getting longer!"

Awesome! I would be happy to buddy up! Feel free to suggest books or I could put a short list of books I am looking at in the next 6 months. Message me or I'll check back here! :)

« previous 1