Sword & Laser Kids discussion

42 views
Introduction and welcome!

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new)

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
This is our first discussion: an introduction thread, where users can say hello, speak about what they hope to get out of this group, and mention what authors and books they love.

New members will be asked to post here and say hello.

I'll start... Hello, I'm Jim. I'm an elementary school librarian who met Tom and Veronica at Dragon Con and asked permission to start a spinoff of their Sword & Laser group that focuses on SF/Fantasy for kids. My favorite authors include Harlan Ellison, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, and Kurt Vonnegut.


message 2: by Rob, Tech Support (new)

Rob (robzak) | 5 comments Mod
I'm Rob. I work as a Software Engineer. I'm just here to help Jim out with the logistics of good reads/moderation.

My favorite authors are Jim Butcher, Stephen King, and Brandon Sanderson among many many others.


message 3: by Beth, Moderator (new)

Beth | 73 comments Mod
I'm Beth. I volunteer to help run an elementary book club at our local school, although my kids have moved on to junior high and high school by now. The older one still makes the cookies for the club, though.

My family also has a monthly Family Book Club night where we go out to dinner together and talk about a book we've all read. Most months it's just us, but at Christmas we try to get all the cousins and grandparents to read along as well.

One thing I hope to get is more ideas for books that everyone will enjoy!

My favorite authors include Patricia Briggs, Elizabeth Moon, Sarah Rees Brennan, Lois McMaster Bujold and many more.


message 4: by Rob, Tech Support (new)

Rob (robzak) | 5 comments Mod
Beth wrote: "My family also has a monthly Family Book Club night where we go out to dinner together and talk about a book we've all read. Most months it's just us, but at Christmas we try to get all the cousins and grandparents to read along as well. "

That is really awesome. Welcome!


message 5: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new)

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
Beth wrote: "I'm Beth. I volunteer to help run an elementary book club at our local school, although my kids have moved on to junior high and high school by now. The older one still makes the cookies for the cl..."

I love the idea of that Family Book Club night. Do you end up reading things each other likes or do you all have your own favorite genre/styles?

Welcome!


message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisapond) Hi! I'm Lisa and I'm an elementary school special ed teacher who loves to read. I think this is a fantastic idea because I enjoy reading good children's literature both to further my knowledge of books to teach with or recommend to students but also because I enjoy them! I work with 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders primarily.

I love the idea of doing a book club at school, though I definitely don't have the time to do that right now. Maybe down the road!

I don't know that I will be able to read the book this month (I looked for it but they didn't have it at my bookstore and I'm a bit swamped anyway) but hopefully will jump on board after! :)


message 7: by Beth, Moderator (new)

Beth | 73 comments Mod
For our family club, we take turns picking but we try to find things that everyone will like. It's just three of us, with two addicted readers and one boy who likes to read but thinks a book a week is plenty. So we tend to try to accommodate the "slow" reader. For my months, I'll leave a few choices lying around and then pick the one he actually reads.

I've ordered Rump from the library and we all seem interested in it. I'm lucky that the older one is always willing to read good books, and he doesn't care what age they are aimed at -- he'll read down as happily as up.


message 8: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new)

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "Hi! I'm Lisa and I'm an elementary school special ed teacher who loves to read. I think this is a fantastic idea because I enjoy reading good children's literature both to further my knowledge of..."

Good to see other educators here. I always recommend audio books to my sp. ed students. They can listen to books above their official reading level and it improves comprehension.


message 9: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new)

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
Beth wrote: "For our family club, we take turns picking but we try to find things that everyone will like. It's just three of us, with two addicted readers and one boy who likes to read but thinks a book a week..."

A book a week isn't slow! But then you sound like a speedy reader like my wife. Also, that family reading plan sounds great. Hope you enjoy Rump.


message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3 comments Hey, I'm Sarah! I'm a homeschooling mom to four awesome kids. We are a big reading family, usually having several books going every week. I'm looking forward reading Rump, it looks great. Still waiting on the library to fulfill our request.

Some of my favorite authors are Norton Juster, J.K. Rowling, and Jasper Fforde.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!


message 11: by Cliff, Moderator (last edited Feb 14, 2014 11:29AM) (new)

Cliff | 43 comments Mod
Hi, everyone, I'm a software engineer as well, but with two boys, currently aged 8 and 6.

I originally joined Goodreads so that I would have a place to record my opinions of the younger skewing genre books, so that I would be better informed when my kids are looking for books to read.

I like so many authors, but if I limited it to ones in the children's/YA space, I'd say: Shannon Hale, Eoin Colfer, Lloyd Alexander, Trenton Lee Stewart, Ellen Raskin and John Bellairs.


message 12: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new)

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "Hey, I'm Sarah! I'm a homeschooling mom to four awesome kids. We are a big reading family, usually having several books going every week. I'm looking forward reading Rump, it looks great. Still..."

Good to hear from you! Hope you enjoy it.


message 13: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new)

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
Cliff wrote: "Hi, everyone, I'm a software engineer as well, but with two boys, currently aged 8 and 6.

I originally joined Goodreads so that I would have a place to record my opinions of the younger skewing ge..."


Great list of authors. Like those all as well. I even got to meet Lloyd Alexander once!


message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Swerbensky  | 1 comments Hi, a bit late to this party. I'm a Jennifer, I'm a homeschooling mom to four kids. I'm always looking for good books to introduce to my kids. My oldest goes through most books like they were nothing. I told him this month's pick, he's already read it, but he says he'll probably read it again. He liked it the first time around. Maybe I can entice my second born to give it a try now too.

As for me, I'm an avid reader as well, my favorite authors include Brandon Sanderson, Cornelia Funke, Scott Lynch, Jenny Nimmo, etc...


message 15: by Camille (new)

Camille Castillo | 1 comments Hi, I'm Camille, a homeschooling kid ^-^
I Like books about animals, magic, etc.
I joined because I read one of the books you guys had read, Rump, and I really loved it!
I'm gonna check out the city of ember too :3


message 16: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new)

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "Hi, a bit late to this party. I'm a Jennifer, I'm a homeschooling mom to four kids. I'm always looking for good books to introduce to my kids. My oldest goes through most books like they were no..."

Sounds like a fun and busy clan!


message 17: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new)

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
Camille wrote: "Hi, I'm Camille, a homeschooling kid ^-^
I Like books about animals, magic, etc.
I joined because I read one of the books you guys had read, Rump, and I really loved it!
I'm gonna check out the cit..."


Hope you like it!


message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Im Mark and I am an aspiring writer. I am very interested in what kids are thinking about the books that they are reading. Also I am always looking for another great book to read.


message 19: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new)

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
Mark wrote: "Hi Im Mark and I am an aspiring writer. I am very interested in what kids are thinking about the books that they are reading. Also I am always looking for another great book to read."

Well welcome and enjoy.


message 20: by G (new)

G | 1 comments Hi I'm Ginger, Camille's mom:) Very excited to join this group with my daughter who has already read The City of Ember and is onto book 2. She's way ahead of me! I'm excited to learn about some new books and to read along with Camille.


message 21: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new)

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
Ginger wrote: "Hi I'm Ginger, Camille's mom:) Very excited to join this group with my daughter who has already read The City of Ember and is onto book 2. She's way ahead of me! I'm excited to learn about some new..."
Hi Camille's mom! Welcome and enjoy. We'll post the wrap up to City of Ember podcast next weekend or so and record a kickoff one for Ender's Game. Let us know what you think.


message 22: by Liam (new)

Liam O'Donnell (liamodonnell) | 3 comments Hi! I'm Liam and I'm a teacher and a children's author always on the lookout for new kids books to share with my students.

Very happy to find this group! I love S&L, adult version and I think it's high time to have a kids version, too!

Looking forward to talking kids sci/fantasy books with everyone. :)


message 23: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new)

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
Liam wrote: "Hi! I'm Liam and I'm a teacher and a children's author always on the lookout for new kids books to share with my students.

Very happy to find this group! I love S&L, adult version and I think it'..."


Good to hear from you , Liam. What grade(s) do you teach? I'm an elementary school librarian myself.

Thanks!
Jim


message 24: by Liam (new)

Liam O'Donnell (liamodonnell) | 3 comments library_jim wrote: "What grade(s) do you teach?"

I'm teaching Grade 1 this year. My fourth time and I love it. Such a great age for reading. Many of the kids really take off as they discover where a good book can take them.

I was a teacher-librarian for two years as well. Loved it and would go back in a minute. There's nothing like helping kids find that perfect book that will turn them into a reader for life.


message 25: by David (new)

David (dww108) | 2 comments I'm the father of an 11 year old boy who reads voraciously. I read no YA so I'm out of the loop. He's always asking me for recommendations and I'm increasingly drawing a blank. I'm guessing this group will have some good suggestions for him.


message 26: by Beth, Moderator (new)

Beth | 73 comments Mod
I hope so! What are some of the books he's enjoyed? My youngest is thirteen, so we're just ahead of you on the find-books-to-feed-the-hungry boy saga.

Glad to have you aboard.


message 27: by David (new)

David (dww108) | 2 comments Beth, my son likes 39 Clues, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, A series of Unfortunate Events, and any book that involves Greek mythology and creatures that "might" be real. He is advanced enough to read things like Tolkein but the length deters him. He liked a kid's version of War of the World's I bought him. I don't think he necessarily has a favorite genre, but he won't read something that is more than 400 pages.


message 28: by Beth, Moderator (new)

Beth | 73 comments Mod
This month's book might work then, maybe in the new graphic novel form. Some of our other earlier books would also fit. I also think the graphic novels about the Olympians such as Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess would be good.


message 29: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new)

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
Dww108 wrote: "Beth, my son likes 39 Clues, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, A series of Unfortunate Events, and any book that involves Greek mythology and creatures that "might" be real. He is advanced enough to read thing..."

Sounds like he likes funny with his fantasy adventure. The Rick Riordan novels might do the trick. Start with The Lightening Thief and go from there if he likes them. It's not as funny, but the Gregor the Overlander series is pretty awesome. Lots of action in a Tolkienesque way but more modern and not as convoluted. It's meant for 4th-8th graders and is by the author of the Hunger Games series. The Artemis Fowl series might also be up his alley.

Can't wait to hear what he ends up liking!


message 30: by Erica (new)

Erica I'm joining after reading the comments on a Tor.com article on Wrinkle, one of my favorite books as a kid. I'm no longer a kid but am unwilling to give up the favorites that began my sf/fan lit love. I also live by a self-imposed rule to always read the book before watching the screen adaptation so it keeps me reading YA; which provides a nice side effect of keeping me informed when talking to my pre-teen, voracious-reader cousin.

P.S. I'm very excited to have a reason to revisit Susan Cooper's quintet.


message 31: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new)

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
Erica wrote: "I'm joining after reading the comments on a Tor.com article on Wrinkle, one of my favorite books as a kid. I'm no longer a kid but am unwilling to give up the favorites that began my sf/fan lit lo..."

Welcome! Looking forward to your comments.


message 32: by Beth, Moderator (new)

Beth | 73 comments Mod
Erica, I have the same rule for movies -- read the book first. For my kids, I won't pay for their ticket if they haven't read the book :-). It does mean I often don't see first release films -- I'm finally ready to watch Divergent :-).

Maybe my family will watch The Seeker after rereading the quintet. I remember that the movie did not hold up well to the book, though. It could be a popcorn-throwing night.


message 33: by library_jim, Creator & Organizer (new)

library_jim | 112 comments Mod
Beth wrote: "Erica, I have the same rule for movies -- read the book first. For my kids, I won't pay for their ticket if they haven't read the book :-). It does mean I often don't see first release films -- I'm..."

I like to read the book first (or see the movie if I know I'll never read the book, like for Tom Clancy or something) but I recently heard from someone who likes to do the opposite and I might try it as an experiment. They say that the book usually is better if for no other reason than it's deeper and richer. They see the movie first and enjoy it without having those "well they messed this up" or "the left that out" moments. THEN they read it and say, wow, this has so much more information than that movie!

If I do read the book, though, I like to wait a good while before seeing the movie. I remember being disappointed in the first couple of Harry Potter movies when they came out but re-watching them years later wasn't so painful.


message 34: by Beth, Moderator (new)

Beth | 73 comments Mod
I wonder if it matters which came first? Some good authors have done books for movies (Orson Scott Card for The Abyss , Joan Vinge for Cowboys and Aliens), and with those I like to see the movie first.


back to top