YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The False Prince (Ascendance, #1)
This topic is about The False Prince
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > The Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A. Nielsen - Restarting September 8th 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachmi (last edited Feb 05, 2014 12:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachmi  | 4945 comments In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.

Sophie, Selia and I are going to read this popular book on February 13th. Everyone is welcome to join us!

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Sophie and Selia, have you started it?

I'm reading it now and I like Sage already :)

Tessa | 1951 comments I'm going to join jou guys soon. :)

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Yay! welcome Tessa, I'm enjoying this book so far.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 10, (view spoiler).

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 18, (view spoiler).

message 7: by Tessa (last edited Feb 13, 2014 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Wow, Rachimi, slow down or you'll read this alone @.@.
I'm only at ch 6. So far this reminded me a lot of The Queen's Thief. A lot of world building, not that much action yet. Actually, the world building is a little confusing as well, but I hope we'll get more information about the grand plan soon :).

Rachmi  | 4945 comments I only read one book at one time, that's why it feels I'm faster than you :D But I can still discuss it even when I've finished it. I wonder where are Sophie and Selia, though. Could it be they forget about this buddy read? If you didn't join us, I think I will mostly read it alone.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments I haven't read yet The Queen's Thief but this book reminds me of The False Princess. Don't worry, you'll get more information soon. I think we get a limited worldbuilding and all because it's told from Sage POV. But the more he learn something, it gets better, at least that's what I feel. I really like Sage, he's smarter than he realizes and witty.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 31, (view spoiler).

Tessa | 1951 comments I'm only at chapter 13. I think Conner's plan is a very bad one and they will get caught. All bad things usually start from the noblest of intentions. So I think he really did want to save Carthya from a civil war, but I also think he wants the power that comes from ruling it as well.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Yeah...I thought so. He might has good intention in the beginning, to save Carthya from civil war but he can't resist the power to rule the kingdom. Then again, who can resist it?

message 13: by Tessa (last edited Feb 14, 2014 07:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Chapter 25
(view spoiler)

The story is also a little slow, but there is only one week left till the final bang, so I'm keeping my hopes up XD.

Also, the author used the word "manager" while describing the tasks of a king. I find this word very unfitting for a story set in a world before the 20st century...

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Agree with you, Tessa, both about Imogen and the paced, it's quite slow for a story that is take place only in two weeks.

To be honest I didn't pay attention about "manager" but then again maybe it's because English isn't my first language. So I basically didn't feel the difference about it. But after you mentioned it, I do more pay attention to the words choice and I found that in chapter 35, (view spoiler). What do you think?

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 41, (view spoiler).

message 16: by sel (new) - added it

sel (lvagirl) Sophie wrote: "OMG, I totally forgot! Haven't even started yet, I will try to start tomorrow. Hope I'm not too late for some discussing *finger crossed*"

ME TOO! I just started it now!! Gah, we can discuss. :P

message 17: by sel (new) - added it

sel (lvagirl) Sophie wrote: "Selia {¢σи¢єαℓ, ∂σи'т fєєℓ} wrote: "Sophie wrote: "OMG, I totally forgot! Haven't even started yet, I will try to start tomorrow. Hope I'm not too late for some discussing *finger crossed*"

ME TO..."

That's fine. I'm reading another book also.

message 18: by Tessa (last edited Feb 15, 2014 03:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Same here, I'm reading rather slow because I'm reading 6 books right now XD.
Rachmi is ahead because she likes to read 1 book at a time, but I think she'll join the discussion either way :) .

Rachmi wrote: "Sage used C'mon, instead of come on, quite odd for regent era"
English is not my mother language either, but some things are to obvious to miss :( . So, this part is a minus for this book. >__>

message 19: by sel (new) - added it

sel (lvagirl) Ah, yes. I got 5 books I'm reading, I think. XD I sign up for too many challenges and buddy reads...:P

message 20: by sel (new) - added it

sel (lvagirl) I know, right. I'll get overload one of these times.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments I'm only a couple chapters to finish it but I'll still join your discussion. It's quite hard for me to focus if I read more than one book at a time :D

Rachmi  | 4945 comments @Tessa, yes it's so obvious and do you realize a couple times they tell us (view spoiler).

Tessa | 1951 comments I think both versions are correct, not sure in relationship to that period XD.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments It isn't as obvious as (view spoiler).

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Finished it! I actually gave it 3.5 star but round up to 4 stars. Anyone who wants to read its sequel, I'm up for it :D

Tessa | 1951 comments @Rachmi: if I like this prequel I'm totally up for the sequel :) .

message 27: by Rachmi (last edited Feb 16, 2014 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Finger crossed for you to like it, Tessa :D I still need one fantasy book for Mad Lib challenge.

message 28: by Tessa (last edited Feb 16, 2014 02:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Ok, I finished this as well. It was actually a good read despite the fact that I gave it 3 stars.
- minus 1 star for the "inappropriate" writing (at times) - reffer back to the manager part; and
- minus 1 star for the predictable story
(view spoiler)
Despite all that, I liked Sage as a character. He was smart, capable, courageous and kind. So he's the reason why I'll read the second book. I do hope it will be less predictable than this one :) .

@Rachmi let me know when you want us to start reading the second book. I'm currently reading The Night Circus. This is also fantasy if you are interested; and quite good from what I've read so far :) .

Rachmi  | 4945 comments (view spoiler).

I haven't bought The Night Circus yet so I cannot read it ASAP. But I'm ready to read The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2) by Jennifer A. Nielsen . If you want to read it this month, can we do it on 27th?

message 30: by Tessa (last edited Feb 17, 2014 02:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments The date's fine with me. Can you read this in 2 days? Or is the Mad Lib challenge lasting longer than the end of the month?

About this book:
" I also think that his reason to bring the false prince is make sense."
(view spoiler)

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Tessa wrote: "The date's fine with me. Can you read this in 2 days? Or is the Mad Lib challenge lasting longer than the end of the month?

About this book:
" I also think that his reason to bring the false princ..."

(view spoiler).

I have another buddy read on 25th, so I give it 2 days to finish and try to finish The Runaway King in 2 days too :D

message 32: by Tessa (last edited Feb 17, 2014 07:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments "Do you understand what I mean?"
No, but I'm probably just tired :D.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Selia & Sophie are you still reading this book? Tessa and I want to read its sequel, The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2) by Jennifer A. Nielsen tomorrow, February 27th.

Tessa | 1951 comments Rachimi, I'm ready to start the buddy read for the second book. Can you please start the topic? :)

Rachmi  | 4945 comments I think I should edit the title of the thread, right? and mark that we'll read the sequel now.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments I've tried to edit the title of the thread but couldn't do it. Somehow the book didn't appear. I'm going to ask Sarah to edit it.

Tessa | 1951 comments I've started reading this one and I must confess that I'm kinda disappointed in the way this story is going. He's totally going to go and look for the pirates and then destroy them from the inside out *sigh*.
This character's strongest power is boldness and a bucket (or more) of luck. I can't really see a normal person pull this off, not even a very intelligent one. It's one thing to be intelligent and a completely different thing to have everything go the way you planed.
Also, that encounter with Roden was so cliche: we'll kill you, but not now [because the story would end then]... a little later in the story. *insert evil laugh*

I was expecting to see a more mature Sage in this book, but so far it looks like this author is going to follow the same story pattern she used for her previous book. Yey! Excitement runs all over me...yey...

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Hahaha, I get what you mean and agree with all of things you mentioned. I didn't read much last night, though. I have to finish another book. One thing for me that obvious (aside that Roden thing you mentioned) is the way Jaron handle his relationship with Imogen. It's just so cliche.

How far are you, by the way? I'm only on chapter 7 now.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 10, (view spoiler).

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 21, (view spoiler).

Tessa | 1951 comments Chapter 28
(view spoiler)

message 42: by Tessa (last edited Feb 28, 2014 04:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Finished this one. Sorry I couldn't wait for you, but I need this for this month's challenge.
Final conclusion: another dropped series.
(view spoiler)

To say I was unimpressed by the turn out of events is an understatement. The characters don't evolve at all in this book and not even the cliff-hang ending couldn't convince me to read the next book.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments I finished it too, just need to review it.

Although there is things that unpredictable, like Imogen show up at pirate camp, I didn't expect it at all, most of the things are predictable and boring. I often skip Jaron description about its setting and all just so I can finish it. I still want to read book #3, though. I have this "bad" habit to finish all of books and series that I have started even the one that I don't like.

Tessa | 1951 comments Well, let me know if book 3 is any good. I have it on my kindle, but I don't think I'll have the patience to read it if I won't have a confirmation that it won't be as bad at this one.

The other series we're reading [Horrorscape] turned out to be quite a hit. I'm loving the second book so far :D .

Rachmi  | 4945 comments I don't know when will I read book #3 but I'll try to read it within this year while I still remember the story. And so I can finish a whole series soon. I'll let you know about it :)

Glad knowing that Horrorscape is way better than Fearscape!

Tessa | 1951 comments If you want to read something similar to this one, but far better try "The queen's thief". :)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84088 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Date Changed. Restarting February 9th 2016. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
**************************************************************************************************

message 48: by dianis. (new)

dianis. | 28 comments Hey! I would like to join you(:

message 49: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 8th of September 2016

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Cinthia | 5775 comments Might join this one. It's free on kindle.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.