What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Garden Spells (Waverley Family, #1)
This topic is about Garden Spells
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > Book about a family with special abilities? [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Smith | 7 comments I read it years ago, maybe as a teenager, but not sure when exactly and I think its young adult fiction
All I remember from the book is it starts out with this girl and her mother living in an apartment or something with the girl's father or possibly mother's boyfriend and he's an alcoholic and abusive to the mother and the girl has this weird ability of knowing where certain things belong. The mother ends up leaving with the girl, at night I think and goes back to this town where her family lives and she hasn't been there in years. I think other people in the family have different special abilities. Like the grandma or great aunt keeps all sorts of weird things like paperclips and batteries and stuff like that and gives them to random people that will end up needing it at some point that day. It was a really weird but good book and I remember the little girl liked to sit under the tree in the back yard an they may have had a small garden in the back yard. At some point in the book there was this fair or something in town where the mother I think sees this guy she hasn't seen in years an falls in love with him again, but not sure exactly on the details. I know this isn't much information but if anyone has any clue to the title please let me know. Thanks!

message 2: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2322 comments Approximate year? Early 1990s? For example.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Smith | 7 comments Sorry, didn't see it in any of those. Not sure on the year but maybe 1990's
I'm not even sure if it was young adult or not but it may have been.
there could have been a tree on the cover of it, but I'm not sure on that either, I just remember being able to picture the tree really well while reading it.

SparksofEmber | 946 comments Maybe Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen? Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

"her elderly cousin, Evanelle, is known for distributing unexpected gifts whose uses become uncannily clear.... Sydney's child, Bay, discovers both the safe home she has longed for and her own surprising gifts."

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather Smith | 7 comments Ladysaotome wrote: "Maybe Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen? Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

"her elderly cousin, Evanelle, is known for distributing unexpected gifts whose uses become uncannily clear.... Sydne..."

Yes! I think this may be it! Thank you :)