YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Unearthly (Unearthly, #1)
This topic is about Unearthly
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > Unearthly By Cynthia Hand - Restarting May 18th 2016

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by sel (new)

sel (lvagirl) Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.

María, Sophie, and I will be starting this read on Feb 5th. Feel free to join! :D

message 2: by Tessa (last edited Feb 05, 2014 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Ok, so I read 4 chapters today, which is no small achievement because this book has really long chapters. I've read 20% of this book and I can say only one thing: I'm so freaking bored. Basically, nothing happened so far. This book respects perfectly the recipe for average YA for teenage girls.
- 1 heroine with superpowers: check;
- heroine is pretty amazing, but ends up with the loners anyway: check;
- heroine falls in love with the guy from her visions just because he's gorgeous (really, I'm sick of insta love): check;
- gorgeous guy has a bitchy girlfriend: check (Girls, really, if a guy has a bitchy girlfriend then something is wrong with HIM. And don't think he would be with certain girl if he didn't have some strange attraction towards her bitchiness. No gorgeous guy is waiting for a good girl to come on a horse and save him from his bitch of a girlfriend. What are these authors trying to teach us?)

Also, why are they not called Nephilims? Since that is what they are, right? Also, aren't Nephilims supposed to be cursed and disregarded by angels and God himself? Where did all this "we'll send you on missions and stuff" come from? Total Spies anyone?

message 3: by María (last edited Feb 05, 2014 06:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

María | 2107 comments I was just thinking about start it but now I read what you posted I don't know if I gonna do it... I hate when a book is boring because i have to finished it anyway but I lost a lot of time...

message 4: by sel (new)

sel (lvagirl) I was thinking of still trying it...

message 5: by Tessa (last edited Feb 05, 2014 11:29PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments I was also thinking of dropping it, but then I read some interesting spoiler (view spoiler) so I decided to give this one another chance. Right now that little piece of information is the only one keeping me reading. The author decided to change the recipe a little.
Doesn't change the fact that this book starts out pretty slow so be prepared. Will be back with new updates and impressions as I read along :) .

@Maria: "I hate when a book is boring because i have to finished it anyway but I lost a lot of time..."
I have 83 books in my "will never finish" list. Sometimes it's best to try a thing for yourself because tastes and opinions aren't always the same. But, you are not required to finish any book that you find way to boring to do so. I know everyone loves the feeling of accomplishment after they finished a book, but the feeling of knowing what you don't want it's also pretty great. No one can ever shove the Lux series in my face and claim they are better than Twilight, now I can stand my ground since I have read a half from it, but no way am I going to bother finishing it either. :P

message 6: by Tessa (last edited Feb 06, 2014 03:23AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Ok, just finished chapter 6. Finally something happened.
(view spoiler)

message 7: by Tessa (last edited Feb 06, 2014 05:23AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Really? Why is he hot? Do we know anything about him despite the fact that he's good looking? Is that all that matters in a guy? O_o

Well, we do find out a little about him in ch 6, but it does not change the fact that she felt for him just because he's good looking. :(

Tessa | 1951 comments "He seems like a nice guy though.
So do all serial killers XD.

message 9: by Tessa (last edited Feb 07, 2014 03:18AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Finished ch 7.
(view spoiler)

message 10: by Tessa (last edited Feb 06, 2014 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments 65% in (Chapter 15) - I'm still a little bored, but right now, I'll just go with the flow and see where this story gets me.
(view spoiler)

María | 2107 comments End or chapter 4 (view spoiler)

message 12: by sel (new)

sel (lvagirl) I just finished chapter 4. Gosh, those are long chapters. I am bored, hoping it'll get more interesting. Right now Angela seems like the most interesting character, because I find Clara a bit on the irritating side... (view spoiler)

Tessa | 1951 comments @Sophie, if they will, I don't think it's going to happen in this book. The narration is very slow paced.

message 14: by sel (new)

sel (lvagirl) Yeah...I dunno if I wanna read the others...

message 15: by sel (new)

sel (lvagirl) Sophie wrote: "Tessa wrote: "@Sophie, if they will, I don't think it's going to happen in this book. The narration is very slow paced."

I like the whole idea of angel but the pace is killing me, I hope it will p..."

Ditto.

Tessa | 1951 comments @Selia wrote: "Yeah...I dunno if I wanna read the others..."
I feel the same way. I'm 65% in the book and it's still slow. If this will not have an awesome ending I'm not reading the rest. If I need a test of patience I can alway go for Tolstoy.

message 17: by sel (new)

sel (lvagirl) Tessa wrote: "@Selia wrote: "Yeah...I dunno if I wanna read the others..."
I feel the same way. I'm 65% in the book and it's still slow. If this will not have an awesome ending I'm not reading the rest. If I nee..."

I'm not even that far because I keep going to other books.

Tessa | 1951 comments Haha, same here, but I'm listening to the audiobook and yesterday I listened to this while cleaning my entire house so I got pretty far ahead. :p
3 hours left to go from this. I need to find something to clean ASAP!

message 19: by sel (new)

sel (lvagirl) Tessa wrote: "Haha, same here, but I'm listening to the audiobook and yesterday I listened to this while cleaning my entire house so I got pretty far ahead. :p
3 hours left to go from this. I need to find somet..."

:P Yeah, now I gtg to bed. :/

Tessa | 1951 comments Chapter 16 and 17 were really fun to read. There's finally some romance, even if the 'angel action' is still forgotten somewhere in the back.
(view spoiler)

María | 2107 comments I'm 40%. End of chapter 8 (view spoiler)

Tessa | 1951 comments @Maria, I feel the same way :) .

Tessa | 1951 comments Ok, so I finished this one.
This story is about a love triangle. Really, all the angels and supernatural parts are left in the background and revealed only when is convenient for the story.
(view spoiler)

The ending was ok, but don't expect something fantastic.

Conclusion: I won't bother to read the next 2 books, mainly because I hate love triangles and it's clearly that's the path this book is headed to.

María | 2107 comments I finish to. The only reason to keep reading is find some anwers but I'm not desperate for them because the end was so confusing...

message 25: by Tessa (last edited Feb 08, 2014 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments "the PACE is killing me =( Hope I can get through it soon"
Yes, it's close to harmful, but at this point I'm not even sure you're struggling is worth it. Like I said, I listened to the audiobook, which made it go a little faster. Or do you want to review this for something sophie? If yes, I can tell you ch 16 and 17 will be a breath of fresh air, but that's pretty much all :( .

Do you girls want to read: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern ?

After this I'm in need for some award winning books. Best part about them: the writing is always charming even if the story doesn't always appeal to my taste. The critics do know how to choose even if they are snobs XD.

message 26: by Tessa (last edited Feb 08, 2014 08:35AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments I see, my case as well. What can I say, hang in there XD. Also, Eleanor and Park was kinda bad as well. Donno, I couldn't finish it :( . Just saw it got the Printz honor award which is a surprise because I love all the books that won the Printz award. I really hope you'll like it. It's hard to finish a book when you don't. :(

Tessa | 1951 comments I know how you feel XD.

María | 2107 comments Tessa wrote: ""He seems like a nice guy though.
So do all serial killers XD."

LOL

María | 2107 comments Sophie wrote: "Tessa wrote: "I see, my case as well. What can I say, hang in there XD. Also, Eleanor and Park was kinda bad as well. Donno, I couldn't finish it :( . Just saw it got the Printz honor award which i..."

It hard to read fast when the book is bad!

message 30: by Abbie (new) - added it

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 18th of July 2015.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Sharon Mariampillai | 9771 comments Prologue-Chapter 3: (view spoiler)

message 32: by Sharon (last edited Jul 24, 2015 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sharon Mariampillai | 9771 comments Chapters 4-7: (view spoiler)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9771 comments Chapters 8-11: (view spoiler)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9771 comments Chapters 12-15: (view spoiler)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9771 comments Ending Thoughts (Chapters 16-22): (view spoiler)

message 36: by Abbie (new) - added it

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 13th of August 2015

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 37: by Abbie (new) - added it

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from May 18th 2016

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************