City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

The Movie.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jane Ok, I was so disappointed with the movie.(this is my opinion) I know it's hard to fit every part of the book into the movie but so much of this was inaccurate. Like the portal in the movie is at the institute not Renwick's, in the movie Simon doesn't turn into a rat, in the movie they don't mention that those two men killed Jace's "father", also the ravener was a dog! Ugh I could go on forever, what did you think?

Jane Abby wrote: "I think it was crap, honestly.
Here I am, sitting in the cinema waiting for Church to show up, and whaddya know- nada.
Then, Magnus- he severely lacked his coolness and wit. Talk about rushed line..."

Wow I completely forgot about Church! Haha but yeah, I love the books so I feel bad saying this but I don't even know if I want to watch the second one when it comes out.

Nikita I was also disappointed by the movie. I still liked it but it could have been better. There were too many things that were left out or changed that were important in the book. The final battle and ending was messed up.

Again I still liked it as a movie. It had great effects. The casting was not bad, I'm a fan of Lena Headey, Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Aidan Turner. But as a movie adapation from the book, it was disappointing.

I think the movie had potential to be great if they had better writers and did more research on the book. Hopefully City of Ashes will be better.

Vanny Lee I hated the movie. They missed a lot of important things and just added random stuff! The cast was bad and lacked everything I hoped for. I just... I was ready to love it. I was so happy there was a movie....Then I saw the movie.

Nurlely The movie. The awful cast
Jace: too skinny and rather scary with his bugged eyes
Clary: is more beautiful than Isabelle and with flawless skin
Alec: too old
Isabelle: shorter than Clary is surely less attractive
Valentine: more a teen pirate-on-the-loose
Magnus: lost his words & wit

I like Simon but dislike the idea of changing the rat part. Lena is an amazing actress and played Jocelyn nicely.

message 6: by Melissa (last edited Feb 05, 2014 09:24PM) (new) - added it

Melissa I was very disappointed in the movie. They had so much so wrong I could barely get through it. The directors had such and open, wide, opportunity to make this movie good and blow other movies out of the water.
here are my problems with it:

•Clary's and Isabelle just don't fit the characters
•Alec was not what I expected, he is dispose to be amazingly hot and failed in my book.
•Jayce was not good looking either. His face was so hallow.
• Valentine. (Jonathan Rye Myers) although amazing for the part, Valentine was blond.
• Magnus ugh don't get me started.....his eyes first and fore most should be cats eyes. They were a major part of who Magnus is (part demon part warlock). His outfit just did not scream out crazy, artistic, stylish, yet flamboyant. And last but not least....he's not Asian. No offends it just does not fit him. Magnus plays a major role and in the Bane Chronicles you really find out more.
there were so many missing important parts. When looking into the hotel, why and when Simon meets Rafael . Where was the younger brother? And yes I thought there needed to be more action.

Luke and Jocelyn were good actors but there was some missing parts with Jocelyn in the beginning. Oh ya the portal scene in the ladies apartment

I hope they really look at their reviews and realise there are a ton of problems that they can easily fix. I mean if they actually read the book, it would help make the correct choices and bring in more reviews when it. comes time for opening. But hey this is just my opinion.

message 7: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa I was very disappointed in the movie. They had so much so wrong I could barely get through it. The directors had such and open, wide, opportunity to make this movie good and blow other movies out of the water. here are my problems with it:

•Clary's and Isabelle just don't fit the characters •Alec was not what I expected, he is dispose to be amazingly hot and failed in my book. •Jayce was not good looking either. His face was so hallow. • Valentine. (Jonathan Rye Myers) although amazing for the part, Valentine was blond. • Magnus ugh don't get me started.....his eyes first and fore most should be cats eyes. They were a major part of who Magnus is (part demon part warlock). His outfit just did not scream out crazy, artistic, stylish, yet flamboyant. And last but not least....he's not Asian. No offends it just does not fit him. Magnus plays a major role and in the Bane Chronicles you really find out more. there were so many missing important parts. When looking into the hotel, why and when Simon meets Rafael . Where was the younger brother? And yes I thought there needed to be more action.

Luke and Jocelyn were good actors but there was some missing parts with Jocelyn in the beginning. Oh ya the portal scene in the ladies apartment

I hope they really look at their reviews and realise there are a ton of problems that they can easily fix. I mean if they actually read the book, it would help make the correct choices and bring in more reviews when it. comes time for opening. But hey this is just my o

message 8: by Nurlely (last edited Feb 05, 2014 09:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nurlely Melissa wrote: "And last but not least....he's not Asian..."

Magnus is Asian. His father is a demon so his mother's trait is dominant. His mother is mix Dutch & Batavian (Ms Clare wanted this to be translated as Javanese Indonesian but she missed the history lesson)

message 9: by GoldieB (new) - added it

GoldieB Elan i personally didn't think the movie was that bad, though clary's character was not what i expected. besides every book turned movie or series, there are omittions so i don't know why all of you are saying this. also if they had included the real story, it will make the movie very long making it better of as a series instead and much boring and less action. i didn't also like the way they made Valentine look like a ruffian, he seems sophisticated and put together in the book like a gentleman. in every novel, it's detailed but in movies, they are cut short because of time. we get lost in the book we read so i understand your point of views.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The movie compared to the book was- you know what lets just say that it includes a lot of bad words that would cause mothers around the world to have heart attacks. I freaking can not believe what they did to the movie. I mean the movie by itself was okay-not great, okay- but they completely changed like almost everything. Like the whole scene at the institute where it was supposed to be at renwicks? SO NOT OKAY. And simon turning into a rat -let me rephrase- simon not turning into a rat I was like you gotta be freaking kidding me. And jace didn't say the "I was laughing cause declarations of love amuse me. Especially unrequited ones"(okay that wasn't the exact line but whatever) I was like screw this movie. And the whole saving simon scene was so completely wrong. again SO NOT OKAY. I could go on forever and ever about things that were wrong with the movie but I think you get my point. I DID NOT LIKE THIS MOVIE AT ALL AND I FEEL LIKE THERE SHOULD BE A BLACK HOLE TO SWALLOW THE WORLD UP NOW.

Sinéad Howlin So I saw this movie a while ago and I'm still recovering. It's bad enough changing nearly everything and adding pointless things in, but the fact that the movie was terrible just made me want to cry. The acting - not all of it - was terrible and some scenes were really awkward. The writing made me want to run out if the cinema and scream. In my opinion it was a really badly made movie.
P.S Robert Sheehan was the only exception, he was amazing.

Hammi    Horrible movie. Awful. The characters did not match the descriptions in the book. In all honesty the book is way better than the movie.

Annie I HATED the movie. I have read all the books btw, and may get some of them confused with with City of Bones, like I might put stuff from City of Ashes in here, so be careful of SPOILERSNormally I give all movies based off of books some credit, because I know from the start that it isn't going to be the same, but this was crap. Nothing was in order or even there. They had about 2 things right-
The Character Names
And the fact of Jace being Clary's "brother"

There was no plot, if I hadn't read the book, I would have no idea what was going on. Then, the simplest of things were out of order, such as the coffee shop/poetry reading scene.
But, they didn't make Simon turn into a rat, it was like BOOM, Simon isn't here, h looks like he's going to the Vampire den. AND THEN THERE WAS NO BOAT SCENE! AND, freaking when he was now suddenly a vamp, they were like, Oh, you can be in the sun. End of Discussion.
That is just the beginning of why I hated this book. But, never the less, I am a fellow Shadowhunter and will always love them...

P.S. Jamie Campbell or whatever your name is, you look like an anorexic piece of crap, with runes drawn on horribly. I HATE YOU< YOU ARE NOT JACE> sorry, I really hated Jamie as Jace.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie Annie wrote: "I HATED the movie. I have read all the books btw, and may get some of them confused with with City of Bones, like I might put stuff from City of Ashes in here, so be careful of SPOILERS sorry, I re..."

woah woah woah, calling Jamie anorexic as an insult is extremely offensive

Leela Yeah I loved the book series but i was totally disappointed with the movie. not only was the plot messed up towards the end, (the fight was in the institute instead of the abandoned hospital), the main idea was off. the demons were definitely not as described in the book, and random added scenes with Clary fighting did not help the plot move along.

The casting was really annoying especially Jace and valentine. Clary, Magnus and Alec were played well, but Jace was not really as I imagined from the authors extensive descriptions. Then, valentine was nothing like he was in the book! Not only did he have the complete wrong looks, he was way too young and insane rather than calmly evil like in the book.

Destiny Yeah, the movie was okay. But there was definitely room for IMPROVEMENT. :)

message 17: by Danielle (last edited Feb 20, 2014 12:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle I was extremely disappointed with the movie though not like I should have been surprised. I find it's easier to watch the movie first then read the book. Far less disappointment in life : ). I did think they did a great job on the demons they where quite scary. I loved Magnus Bane but wished they showed him flexing his amazing skills more. The rest of the movie felt rushed and provided no explanation for anything. If I hadn't read the book first I would have been completely lost. Poor Clary they turned her into a hollow stick figure who has no emotions or personality and just seems like she's along for the ride. Alec was a character they did very well and I was surprised to see the actor they got to play him, he did a great job. The rest of the movie was garbage to me. Keep trying Hollywood.

Rebecca Smith I found this in Cassandra Q&A page
I no longer own the rights to make films or TV shows out of my books, or have the authority to decide whether it happens. Screem Gems/Sony does. That’s what it means to sell your film/tv rights. The decision is theirs to make. It is not mine. Asking me to reconsider making a movie is like asking me to redecorate a house I sold to someone else.

With that being said, the movie was not that bad. Yes it was a lot different then the book which was a dispointment. I however do not blame the ones who made the movie. I blame Cassandra for being a SELL OUT! Yes you heard me right. These books had the potential to make awesome azz movies, WTF why would you sell your rights to them? Is money more important then your work?!?!?!?!?!
I think the only reason I liked the movie was because I knew this info before hand so I knew it was not going to be just like the book. But watching the movie as a movie and not a book made into a movie it was good. I will watch the ones to come but I will be waiting for them to come to redbox for 1.00 because I'll be damned if she gets profits from the price of a movie ticket times 6 in my family from me. She wants to be a sell out, fine but you will not be getting any more of my money.

Annie Katie wrote: "Annie wrote: "I HATED the movie. I have read all the books btw, and may get some of them confused with with City of Bones, like I might put stuff from City of Ashes in here, so be careful of SPOILE..."

I didn't say it to be mean, my point was the casting wasn't right, he wasn't supposed to be really skinny. And honestly, I don't find Jamie attractive, but that's just me.

message 20: by Hana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hana Castillo The movie absolutely sucked. I cannot even explain how wrong they got the story. What really disappointed me was Claire, she was not the fiery, curly haired redhead that made me fall in love with the series. Then there is Jace, I'm sorry if there are any Jamie Bower fans, but he is not Jace - he did not portray Jace Wayland at all, maybe it's more physical (his face and body), but that is not the Jace Wayland I imagined when reading the series. Enough of the characters, now the plot, if I would have never read the book, I probably would have no idea what's going on - the movie was choppy, poorly written and more than half of the plot was wrong. I cannot stress how disappointed I was when I left the theater, I hadn't felt this disappointed since I watched Percy Jackson.

message 21: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Boyer Gahhh! And that cheesy kissing scene! It was bad enough with the crappy lines, then the abrupt grab for clary and then it starts RAINING! Most cliché scene ever. I was embarrassed watching it lol.

message 22: by Hana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hana Castillo I don't even know where to begin with that scene, I faced-palmed during the movie, it was ridiculous

Annie I completely agree. Jamie was so monotone... "NO Clary.." "Yes Clary..." "I love you Clary..." Over and over again. He wasn't like cocky but charming in any way. And the movie Clary was very damsel in distress. SHe wasn't at all the take charge kind of girl I wanted to see. Not to mention that ISABELLE had like 4 lines!! She wasn't the Izzy I wanted to see.

message 24: by Hana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hana Castillo Yeah, Isabelle barely even spoke, like what the heck? I was really looking forward to the part where Izzy and Claire talk about Alec (when Claire asks Isabelle if he's gay) that was like one of my favorite parts, it so funny....she was so cold and emotionless in the movie...

Annie Yeah! And oh that vampire scene... it was bad... and where were the flying motorcycles? And Simon was never chained to a ceiling thing. The only person I kind of liked was Alec, I think he was the best in that movie. Or Simon, he was pretty good.

message 26: by Hana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hana Castillo Simon was okay, He looked better than I imagined him to be - Alec was okay, I just wish they could've gone more in depth with him and Isabelle, they were like floaters - they are part of the story too, not just Jace and Claire!

Annie Yeah, our totally right. AND THEN THERE'S MAGNUS! Who is probably one of if not my favorite character and he's totally put aside and the entire gay thing is said in the matter of 2 lines. He was not the boss I wanted him to be.

message 28: by Hana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hana Castillo I know, I loved Magnus in the book - i was suprised to see him so....attractive in the movie (he looked really really good), but yeah, they didn't elaborate on him very much either. And then there's church, where's church?!

krisusnoona i love the book , idk the movie , i've watched it already , i think they hastened the movie , hopes for the better coa movie .. pls. dont waste a good book

Annie CHURCH! Was Chairman Meow there? I don't think so. Yeah, his character looked good, but he himself wasn't there at all. That fight scene took forever too. And Hodge, like what in the world? Hodge go away, no one wants you here, your supposed to be injured by a werewolf.... Which By The Way, the werewolves weren't there in the Vampire scene... UGH

message 31: by Hana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hana Castillo Well stated, the movie sucked period

message 32: by Kali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kali I`m in complete denial that there even was a movie. They didn't keep to the book as I was hoping they would. Also, the acting wasn't the best, and the characters in the movie seemed different from the characters in the book. This was disappointing because the characters in the book are so funny and lovable! I hate this movie quite passionately. I hope there is a remake in the future that keeps to the book and the characters.

Annie Agreed.

message 34: by Jayne (new) - added it

Jayne SO I watched the movie before I read the books and I thought the concept was awesome. I loved the characters and thought the world Cassandra created was so interesting but it was clear that the movie was poorly developed and kinda sucked. Before I even read the first book I could tell they skipped a lot of details, really din't do any character development, and just through in some Demi Lovato at one point. HOWEVER, the movie did a good enough job to make me fall in love with the idea and I ended up reading the entire series immediately after and kinda read all of TMI/TID in like a week hahaha

message 35: by Katie (new)

Katie Annie wrote: "Katie wrote: "Annie wrote: "I HATED the movie. I have read all the books btw, and may get some of them confused with with City of Bones, like I might put stuff from City of Ashes in here, so be car..."

I understand your point completely and respect that, I just think what you said came across as offensive. But fair enough if it's not what you intended

Kaamla I honestly didn't like the movie at ALL. For one Jace looks terrible and he isn't like the book Jace. Second, the portal was suppose to be at Renwicks not at the Institute. I was pretty disappointed when they didn't show Rafiel the spanish speaking vampire. Plus simon doesn't turn into a rat and where was CHURCH!! there were a lot of parts that weren't necessary too.

Pinky Kaamla wrote: "I honestly didn't like the movie at ALL. For one Jace looks terrible and he isn't like the book Jace. Second, the portal was suppose to be at Renwicks not at the Institute. I was pretty disappointe..."

I know I didn't expect Jace to look like that, I imagined him differently but then he looks so different in the movie.

Stenedria After watching the movie on DVD more times than I like to admit, I finally got my hands on a copy of the book. All through the book, I saw many differences. I loved the movie, but the book just had the excellent transition. It was a little more interesting than the movie with the details that were put in the book, but I still think the movie was pretty solid. Although I had to admit I now wish the movie was more like the novel.

Katrina Jay Stenedria wrote: "After watching the movie on DVD more times than I like to admit, I finally got my hands on a copy of the book. All through the book, I saw many differences. I loved the movie, but the book just had..."

I kind of agree with you to a point. I almost wish I could go back and watch the movie first and then read the book that way I could enjoy the 2 separately. There are a lot of movies out there that are great movies if you can either say you never read the book or you wait until you watch the movie and then read the book. There were tons of differences between the 2 and it was hard for me to just enjoy the movie because I was picking it apart the whole time.

message 40: by Aces (new) - rated it 1 star

Aces I am so bloody glad I didn't watch the damn movie. Just looking at the trailer made me want to throw a book at the computer screen and scream like a banshee for the shitty production -,-

I enjoyed the book (not loved but hey...) so I had really high hopes for it, but after watching the trailer, I automatically made up my mind right there and then that the movie would literally kill me with its stupid dialogue and their interfering with the setting.... Aish ._. smh

message 41: by Julienne (new) - added it

Julienne Preslar I honestly liked the movie knowing I had to seperate the book from the movie. So many times I try to compare the two and you can't. For the movie being the movie it was good in my opinion. I will watch it again and I hope they make City of Ashes.

Rebecca Smith They are in the middle of rewrites for City of Ashes.

Nabila Since I had obsessed over the series for the past seven years of my life, I am a hardcore fan of the books. So as a fan I wanted to cry from disappointment thanks to the movie. I feel like they took out scenes that made the story what it was and threw in random things that were completely not needed. I felt like it didn't live up to the hype and left fans in the dust trying to capture the attentions of people who hadn't read the books. I honestly hopped that they would stick to the book for the first movie because lets be honest, the number of people that went to watch that movie for the first week it was out were fans of the book. I kind of felt like they owed us that. But I had gone to watch it with my sister and she had loved it...but she hadn't read the book at the time. So when I look at it from the perspective of a person who hadn't read the novel, I find myself realizing that it wasn't all that bad. The graphics were pretty epic and the silent brothers actually looked creepy as hell; the creep factor in general was amazing. The characters were interesting enough and the story line was pretty interesting. But I'm not the person who watched the movie without reading the book, so having to put myself in the shoes of someone who hasn't is just simply upsetting and unsatisfying. But I will admit they did one thing right....they kept all my favorite lines from Jace in the movie and I most certainly do love Jace and his choice of words.

message 44: by GoldieB (new) - added it

GoldieB Elan the movie was not that bad. gosh people... a few of mistakes were made like Valentine looking like a gangster.

message 45: by ada (new) - rated it 5 stars

ada the movie was bad. so many differences. VALENTINE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE SOME GRAY HAIR! and simon was supposed to turn into a rat. and isn't the institute a church? they could've done the casting better too, I thought isabelle and alec looked older in the movie than I imagined them in the book. I didn't think simon was supposed to be that attractive, when i saw the movie, I was like wOwiee. and the portal was at renwick's, not the institute. and they never went to Taki's in the movie. so many other differences to name

message 46: by Deana (last edited Feb 28, 2014 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Deana Hale I HATED THE MOVIE! So far off from the book, horribly casted people. The only person in the movie who was casted okay was Luke. Everyone else were totally off the mark. I ended up leaving the movie half way into it. Loved the books though!

message 47: by Nina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nina The movie was bad compared to the book, but still perfectly watchable. I thought Clary was a bit too helpless for my taste

message 48: by Sue (last edited Mar 02, 2014 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Rebecca wrote: "They are in the middle of rewrites for City of Ashes."

They need to re-cast the movie. The portrayal of Jace was (for lack of a better word) creepy.

Aimee Okay I was so disappointed in the movie. Main reason..... Jace!
Or should I say the guy who played Jace, Was it just me or did anybody else think that, that guy was more feminine looking then both the girls?? Just saying!!! And where the hell was his muscles????

Matilda Rose Objectively, it was crap. Unobjectively, it was the type of shit that make you want to tear your eyeballs out and twitch uncontrollably. At least that's what I saw.

Let's just say I pretend I never read the books and so I don't notice the huge, glaring omissions.

- The acting was shitty. I mean it. You could tell Jace was trying to pull of sarcastic, but I think he made me laugh a total of once. Clary was unconvincing. Isabelle was over the top, Alec was over the top, Simon was nearly okay but not really.
- Whilst I fully believe in actors abilities being more important than appearance, I didn't think Jamie pulled off Jace. I just don't think that type of character is in him.
- The shadow hunter world was not established or set up in any way whatsoever. It just became another hastily thrown together world designed for (apparently) oblivious teenagers who won't notice the difference. Unbalanced, it revolved solely around Clary. Clary, Clary, Clary. Jace. Clary, Clary. Grrr. And apparently theres just a few teenagers and some creepy old guy in a building protecting New York. It's not a valid plot.
- No real reasoning is given for Valentine's crusade against pretty much everyone. He's just apparently crazy. It's suggested that he wants to eliminate demons and downworlders and all that, but then the Vampires want the cup? Um, excuse me but why? Never explained. Can't just do that. Also, that served to eliminate any potential humour from the film. Very 'serious' moment.
- Magnus was so off, it was not even funny. The acting was forced and the words didn't come out right. He seemed like a filler character, there to offer unwanted advice to a bitchy teenage girl who doesn't care.
- Those two little lackeys of Valentines? I just.. I can't.. No. There are no words for that horror. Beyond cheesy.
- Valentine was a terrible villain.

There's about fifteen million other things, unfortunately :/

On the other hand, if they take this feedback and completely rewrite CoA, take another approach, there's hope yet. :)

« previous 1