The Book Challenge discussion

finished challenges > Jennie A.'s 2014 Non-Fiction challenge

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 80 comments I enjoyed last year's challenge so much that I'm going to do it again!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I'm modifying it a little, though: instead of last year's goal of one a month, I'm going to work on reading twelve this year. That's mainly because the book I started for January has taken me a month just to read 200 pages because it's just not grabbing me like I hoped.

Here's hoping I can finish it soon so I can start posting!

I'd welcome any non-fiction recommendations (last year's mostly came from "The Daily Show"), though I do still have about the same number of unread books as last year. :-)

message 3: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 80 comments 2. I don't even want to admit how long I've been reading this. Magnificent Delusions: Pakistan, the United States, and an Epic History of Misunderstanding by Husain Haqqani.

It's actually an interesting, frustrating, and tragic story, so don't be deceived by how long it took me to fin-squirrel!

message 4: by Jennie (last edited Aug 08, 2014 03:44PM) (new)

Jennie | 80 comments 3. Aug: Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History-Making Race Around the World by Matthew Goodman.

This book was a refreshing change of pace from the previous one
Impossible to put down, and reminded me that I can, in fact, ignore the squirrels. I liked how the narrative contrasts the two women's lives as well as their experiences during their "race" (which I put in quotation marks because I don't know if it counts as a race if one of them doesn't know she's racing).

message 5: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 80 comments 4. August (bonus!): Agent Zigzag: A True Story of Nazi Espionage, Love, and Betrayal by Ben Macintyre.

I continue to be amazed by the audacity and imagination of spies in British service in WWII.