What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. children's book - children found an elevator that took them into space, published somewhere between 1960 and 1986?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Earvin (halfof2) | 34 comments This book was a large picture book, that featured one - possibly two? children that found a glass? (maybe it was glass, maybe it wasn't, but there WAS an elevator) elevator that eventually took them into space. There may have been an adult with them- I can't remember. It was a strange book- the plot seemed strange...

I remember being a little freaked out at the end because the narration broke the fourth wall- the narrator asked a question (in the text) that was directed to the reader...that's why I was freaked out of course - I had never encountered that before...LOL!!!

I know many people will want to tell me that the book I am looking for is Charlie and the Glass Elevator, however, I am almost 100% sure that this IS NOT the book I am looking for.

You guys on here are SO GOOD at tracking down these books. I posted about two books last night and was able to move both posts to Resolved/Shelved this afternoon. In light of this I decided to let you guys have a crack at this one...keeping my fingers crossed!

message 2: by bookel (last edited Feb 04, 2014 08:06PM) (new)

bookel | 2106 comments Not sure if this is it; searched elevator space on worldcat, juvenile fiction book English.

All in good time
Author: Edward Ormondroyd; Ruth Robbins; Parnassus Press,
Publisher: Berkeley, Calif. : Parnassus Press, ©1975.
Edition/Format: Book : Elementary and junior high school : Fiction : EnglishView all editions and formats
Database: WorldCat
Summary:
A young girl is granted three rides in a magic elevator that transports her to the end of the nineteenth century.

Sequel to Time at the top.
It's strange enough when Susan Shaw disappears without a trace on a wintry March afternoon. It's stranger still when her uninformative note is found in the hallway of her apartment building, along with a black cat that no one has seen before. And it's strangest of all when she suddenly appears again, wearing clothes that are eighty years out of date, and tells a wild story about an old woman with a fly-away hat, an elevator that travels into the past, and a distressed family that only she can save. Who is going to believe such a tale? Certainly not her father. But Susan is determined to prove to him that it's all true. And she has other plans for him as well...

Who, in fact, could believe such a tale? Even the author, who takes part in the story, has his doubts. But just as those doubts are all laid to rest, the mystery thickens once more. This time it's a double disappearance...

Since the author takes part in the story, could it be one of those?

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Earvin (halfof2) | 34 comments I need to remember that little Worldcat trick you just mentioned.

Okay- I'm going in...I'll let you know.

Thanks bookel!!

message 4: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments https://www.kirkusreviews.com/feature...
space elevators in science fiction

Feersum Endjinn by Iain M. Banks
Across the Sea of Suns by Gregory Benford
Mercury by Ben Bova
The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke
Sunstorm by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter
Jumping Off the Planet by David Gerrold
The End of the Empire by Alexis A. Gilliland
There is No Darkness by Jack C. Haldeman II
Friday by Robert A. Heinlein
Sun's End by Richard Lupoff
Deepsix by Jack McDevitt
Singularity's Ring by Paul Melko
Rainbow Mars by Larry Niven
Starclimber by Kenneth Oppel
Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds
Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
Foreigner by Robert J. Sawyer
The Web Between the Worlds by Charles Sheffield
Coyote Frontier by Allen Steele
Echoes of Earth by Sean Williams and Shane Dix

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Earvin (halfof2) | 34 comments bookel wrote: "Not sure if this is it; searched elevator space on worldcat, juvenile fiction book English.

All in good time
Author: Edward Ormondroyd; Ruth Robbins; Parnassus Press,
Publisher: Berkeley, Calif...."

:(

This isn't it,but I have it (and the sequel) in my "To read" cue - they sound interesting, so -

:)

I'll be sure to check out the list you just posted...daaaaang, that's a lotta books...LOL!!!

message 6: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments Google search "space elevator" "picture book"

The space elevator
https://chrisfleisch.com/the-space-el...

message 7: by bookel (last edited Feb 04, 2014 08:22PM) (new)

bookel | 2106 comments I haven't checked the list as to whether they are picture books, or even if they're the type of space elevator you're after. That was just found through searching google for any kirkusreviews.

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex Earvin (halfof2) | 34 comments Super! I will gladly look thru - never know what might be found...

message 9: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments The space elevator - Chris Fleisch (see link above) seems similar to what you want.

message 10: by Alex (last edited Feb 04, 2014 10:06PM) (new)

Alex Earvin (halfof2) | 34 comments I have seen this site before...while it is a similar concept, it's not my book.

Good attempt tho'...

The search continues...

Thx, bookel.

BTW-

I checked some of the books on the list you posted-so far they are all hard sci-fi books.Some seem interesting enough to read. I think I listed 2 - 3? as "Want to read" in my cue...

message 11: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments Interesting the MASH trivia.

The Cat From Outer Space, by Ted Key
http://readinginwinter.com/2010/01/12...

message 12: by bookel (last edited Feb 04, 2014 10:26PM) (new)

bookel | 2106 comments Wonders, inc
Crawford Kilian - 1968 - ‎Snippet view -
A young boy feels his town has little to offer until he comes upon a large factory on the outskirts which manufactures time, dreams, and space.

Christopher thinks his town is very boring. But when he took a path he'd never seen before he discovers a dazzling factory. He sees many different unique inventions including the line assembly. He notices something bright about his town and something that will turn the whole town bright. Story by Crawford Kilian and illustrations by John Larrecq.

Probably not your book either but looks good!

Searching this on google books
elevator space -dahl subject:"juvenile fiction"
with your year range.

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex Earvin (halfof2) | 34 comments This looks promising...

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex Earvin (halfof2) | 34 comments Okay - I just requested this book online thru my colleges book borrowing system, *BECAUSE I NEED TO INSPECT THIS ITEM*

This might be it!!!

I will let you know!!!

message 15: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments Haha, it's interesting enough I ordered it too. I wonder if it was inspired by Dahl's book? Let me know if Wonders Inc is it once you read it. You can see the cover via Google images.

message 16: by Alex (new)

Alex Earvin (halfof2) | 34 comments Well - I got the book today - and I am sad to say that this isn't it...but this book did help me to remember that the boy in the book was taking a walk at night (he may have had a dog with him) when he came across the building

The search continues..

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex Earvin (halfof2) | 34 comments BUMP Bumppity Bump Bump...LOL

message 18: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments Memory trigger's better than nothing! Are you still convinced it's a glass elevator?

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex Earvin (halfof2) | 34 comments I believe so...

message 20: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments More odd books ruled out from the looks of it.

C.L.U.T.Z. and the fizzion formula - Page 48
Marilyn Z. Wilkes - 1985 - ‎Snippet view - ‎More editions
A glass elevator took them to a balcony surrounding the tower's second floor. The elevator opened in front of a glass door. A small sign on it said dr. renata rench, director of operations. Dr. Greps knocked. "Come in," commanded a woman's ...
http://www.librarything.com/work/1837...
Eleven-year-old Rodney, his guardian robot Clutz, and his dog Aurora are taken for industrial spies when they wander into a soda factory where a new secret product named Fizzion is being manufactured.

message 21: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments I found another glass elevator book when browsing covers.
Willie Bryant and the Flying Otis by Sheila Greenwald.
Willie and his magic elevator were the only wonderful things about a sad old apartment building.

Only... it appears to be a chapter book.
153 pages.

Ah, here's a list!

Magical Elevators for Young Readers.
But not sure if that's much help...

message 22: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments Search results for 'kw:elevator' > '1940..1986' > 'Book' > 'Fiction' > 'English' > 'Juvenile'
worldcat.org

Elevator to the moon by Widney

Chapter book.

Christopher and the elevator closet by Allen Morgan

48 p. Christopher's closet becomes an elevator which takes him to the clouds where he meets the giants responsible for our rain and thunder.

Mr. Bear's bow ties by Ousley

Between the 16th and 17th floors.
by Russ Leadabrand
38 p. fantasy.
A lonely eight-year-old with a vivid imagination discovers that the elevator in his new apartment building not only understands what he says, but can grant his wishes.

message 23: by bookel (last edited Apr 30, 2014 06:50PM) (new)

bookel | 2106 comments The ups and downs of Marvin
Author: Barbara Shook Hazen; Richard Cuffari
Publisher: New York : Atheneum, 1976.
Marvin, separated from his father on the elevator, finds friends and adventures on every floor.
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...
(not this one)

message 24: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38279 comments Mod
Alex, are you still looking for this? Was it anything bookel suggested from post 20 forward?

message 25: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38279 comments Mod
No response, we must move this to Abandoned. Too bad because there are so many suggestions from bookel.