Jules Verne discussion

Suggestion Box > Next novel to read

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Henry (new)

Henry Avila (henryavila) | 23 comments Adrift in the Pacific: Two Year Vacation, will be my 22nd Verne book, I want to read.What will be yours, my friends?

message 2: by Anfenwick (new)

Anfenwick (anne-fenwick) I think I'm going to have a go at Tribulations of a Chinaman in China although I rather expect Verne to embarrass himself terribly. It will be my 7th Verne book.

message 3: by Henry (new)

Henry Avila (henryavila) | 23 comments I read his most famous books,Anne, so I picked this one because, it's the only top ten in popularity, on Gr. I haven't read.Looks interesting too...

message 4: by Henry (new)

Henry Avila (henryavila) | 23 comments Every Verne book I have enjoyed reading.Just pure fun...

message 5: by Henry (new)

Henry Avila (henryavila) | 23 comments After 150 years, his books are still being read,how many writers will ever do that?

message 6: by Anfenwick (new)

Anfenwick (anne-fenwick) I liked Tribulations better than I thought. Funny you should say 'After 150 years...' After 150 years the plot about the meaning of life for people who have everything is probably even more relevant than ever. Verne's reflections on racial purity, western superiority, etc... not so much (!)

Next up, I'm reading 800 Leagues On The Amazon. I expect jaguars, piranhas and anacondas, oh my...

message 7: by Henry (new)

Henry Avila (henryavila) | 23 comments Loved that book,Anne, hope you will like it too...

message 8: by Henry (new)

Henry Avila (henryavila) | 23 comments In this strange world of ours, we need Jules Verne's adventures to give us some relief. And besides, they're fun to read...

message 9: by Henry (last edited Mar 02, 2014 08:43PM) (new)

Henry Avila (henryavila) | 23 comments Jules Verne's Captain Nemo is still, after a century and a half, one of the greatest fictional characters ever invented.A wonderful combination of hate and love. He terrorizes people, but also shows compassion, for the survivors of his deeds. Nemo is not black or white , gray is his true color...

message 10: by Charity (new)

Charity Would anyone be interested in a poll for the next monthly read?