The Suspense of It All! discussion

Writer's Corner > Share your promotion successes.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 218 comments Mod
I had a banner event for book sales late last month, and I thought I'd share.

I submitted my books to EreaderNewsToday.com, to be part of their Bargain Book promotions.

They vet your work - you have to have at least 10 reviews, and an overall rating over 4 stars, and fit into their content guidelines - and if you fit, they'll put you on their website, and their facebook page.

For bargain books, you have to have your price set at .99 for the day of your promotion, and I think the day after, too. If you plan to lower your price just for their promotion, they give you advance warning so you can set it in time. They will also charge you 25% of the royalties from sales that come from clicking through their website on the day of and the day after the promotion.

Only you can decide if it is worthwhile to you.

The results, for me, were pretty astounding. Not for revenue, mind you, but for sales. I sold four times more books in four days than I sold in all of last year, including my first break into some international markets.

Now, my sales in 2013 were only just over 100 books, across all sales, direct and through (mostly) Amazon, so when I say 4x the sales, we're only talking 460, so if you're doing better than that, it may not be worth it to lower your price.

My two books were promoted two days apart, and I do know that I got a couple of reference sales, where the buyer bought one book, and came back and bought the other on the same or the next day. (I had mine both at .99 for about six days, total. One day before the first promotion, to two days after the second promotion.) I'm probably being clear as mud, here. The point of this is to say that those reference sales were not subject to the 25% fee.

I've had a few sales since the prices went back up - I think because my Amazon ranking was up so far. Before this promotion, I was ranked at over a million, and during the promotion, Blinding Justice topped out at around #2400, while Knight Before Dawn made it to #647 in overall paid Kindle Sales. I'm still #37 in the top 100 for Kidnapping for Blinding Justice, and #67,000 overall. I'm still ranked #17,600 overall for Knight, so there is some carryover.

(Note to self, I need to revisit my tags on Amazon.)

So for me, the sale was worth it, mainly in getting my work out in front of people. I am considering lowering my price to .99 permanently but I will wait to see if the sales continue at a moderate pace, or drop off completely.

I will definitely have a sale again, especially when I release my next book, to try to get some of those reference sales of the new book.

The only question I still have is that I notice one of my book's price hasn't returned to my regular price. The $3 price is showing as a slashed out "on sale from this price" type thing, but it is showing that it is 'on sale' for .99. I don't know what that means for my royalties. I think if I set the price, and Amazon discounts it, that doesn't affect my royalty, but if they are holding it as a 'price match', somehow, then I think I'm relegated to the 35% of .99 royalty. I don't know how to go about finding that out.

Anyway, take what you like from this post. I hope it helps.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Docter | 4 comments Thanks so much for sharing your experience, Kristi. I've been struggling to get the word out about my new book, which is getting wonderful reviews by those who actually read it. I'll have to look at this venue myself.

Hope you got the price back up!

message 3: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 218 comments Mod
You are welcome. I'd love to hear what promotions work for you.

I find marketing to be the hardest part of being published.

By the way, I popped over to you profile and noticed that you are in Denver. I set my Blinding Justice in Denver. I'd be curious to hear from a local whether I portrayed it well. If you want, I can give you an e copy via email in your preferred format. Or it is on sale on my website for .89 cents, or .99 cents on Amazon. Let me know if you'd like a free copy.
Best, Kristi

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Docter | 4 comments Good morning, Kristi. I have yet to find promotions that work with my new romantic suspense. My previous books were contemporary romance (with humor) so I'm starting from scratch building a name in RS. Not quite sure how to fix that, but I keep trying. :) Marketing is the only part of being self-published that I dislike. I just want to write! :)

I did a complimentary ARC for an honest review before Killing Secrets came out and that's where I got most of my reviews. I'll do the same thing with the next book since it seemed to work fairly well. Would have loved more so I'm thinking of running a similar event on Goodreads after July 4th. I just need to get the book in reader hands. I KNOW it's good. :)

I keep trying to get on BookBub and will try to get out there on the eReaderNewsToday as you suggested, so guess we'll see what works.

Yes, I'm in Denver and I just bought your book at Amazon. I can't guarantee a quick review since I'm trying to write my next book in the Thorne's Thorns series and have a couple of books I'm reading for review now. But, I'll get to it soon as I can. :)