Would you recommend any?

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian Canning | 4 comments Mod
Jo wrote: "I havent read many horror books
Would you recommend any?
"

Yeah I would Recommend a few:

- The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker
- The Woman in Black by Susan Hill (Very good - Creepy)
- Creed by James Herbert
- Others by James Herbert

Theres a few to start you off. What sort of books do you read? and do oyu recommend anything? Ive just finished The Prestige and I want to start a new book.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo I havent read too many books but if you like creepy books id recommend Let The Right One In. Its not scary but its dark and a bit messed up at times. I can recommend books that arent horror if your into other kinds?

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Canning | 4 comments Mod
Jo wrote: "I havent read too many books but if you like creepy books id recommend Let The Right One In. Its not scary but its dark and a bit messed up at times. I can recommend books that arent horror if your..."

Yeah I'll read anything. So if there any other books you could recommend?

But I will check out Let The Right One In as well.

message 6: by Jerrod (last edited Jul 30, 2009 05:57AM) (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Here are just a few suggestion, these range in method of horror but I think that overall, the ones listed here, are some of my all time favorites that just can't seem to get off of my 'Top' list.

The Unblemished
The Indifference of Heaven (aka In Silent Graves)
The Hellbound Heart
Books of Blood 1-3, in UK they are vol 1-6, in the US 4,5,6 are The Inhuman Condition, Cabal, & In The Flesh
King Of Souls
Jigsaw Men
Khai of Khem
Necroscope

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo I have never read any of them. I havent really read much horror but its my misson to discover the greats

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 7 comments Jerrod wrote: "Here are just a few suggestion, these range in method of horror but I think that overall, the ones listed here, are some of my all time favorites that just can't seem to get off of my 'Top' list.

..."

I put Necroscope on my to reads not too long ago. I've heard good things. I found it on a website a while back. It's a whole series right?

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo Ian i hope you dont mind that i invited lots of people to join your group :)

When i joined this group it was ian on his own i kind of hijacked

message 10: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Adebisirocks wrote: "Jerrod wrote: "Here are just a few suggestion, these range in method of horror but I think that overall, the ones listed here, are some of my all time favorites that just can't seem to get off of m..."

Yes, it's a long series, but it's broken into sections so you can stop reading after certain sections without having the need to continue. I really enjoyed it, It's a very unique and believable spin on the Vampire, but they are just a small character in a bigger world. I highly recommend it and most of Lumley's work.

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 1 comments I know this probably doesn't qualify but "The Historian" was so creepy for me I couldn't sleep some nights. I've heard a lot about "Necroscope" and now it's popping up again. Maybe that will be my Halloween read this year. I really love to scare the bejeezus out of myself around then.

message 12: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) I don't think the novel is scary, but the story is very well written with a great variety of characters that make it easy to get swept up in. Some of the images are disturbing though.

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo I think i might read that one

message 14: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) another local flavor Jo, he's a very good author and worth the read. I would also check out House Of Doors, Maze Of Worlds, and Khai of Khem by Lumley as well.

message 15: by Jo (new)

Jo Thanks for the recommendations Jerrod i will look them up

message 16: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) I really enjoyed them, plus living in a small town most of my life he was the only other thing to read besides your staple mainstream horror authors. The British breed and educate some of the best authors IMO.

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo I havent really read much horror i was alway more into the movies so i look forward to reading some of your suggestions

message 18: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Oh by the way, Maze of Worlds is the sequel to House of Doors. Horror novels are infinitely better than the movies since the medium can convey so much more about the characters. Not that horror movies can't be good, I just prefer the book medium to movies when it comes to one of my favorite genre's.

message 19: by Jo (new)

Jo The closest book ive read to horror and seen the movie of is Let The Right One In which isnt really all that much horror but the books was so much better than the movie. I brought my first Stephen King book last week as i figured its a good place to start

message 20: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Can't go wrong with King, he's an excellent author with allot of good stories. But, IMO, he's truly not the 'king' of horror anymore. But a fantastic place to start the journey.

message 21: by Jo (new)

Jo You seem to be the expert so i will come to you when i need more ideas :)

message 22: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) LOL, not an expert, just an enthusiast.

message 23: by Jo (new)

Jo lol you are an expert compared to me! But i will call you an enthusiast if thats better for you :)

Technology huh... Maybe i will if i feel like venturing from under my rock

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) Hay Jo, start with IT {Stephen King} that's my fav.

message 25: by Jo (new)

Jo I have Salems Lot, do you like that one? Thanks for the recommendation though i will get that one next

message 26: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Jo wrote: "lol you are an expert compared to me! But i will call you an enthusiast if thats better for you :)

Technology huh... Maybe i will if i feel like venturing from under my rock "

You should, technology is great, but don't loose track of the old school, still allot of merit in it.

message 27: by Jo (new)

Jo I have an ipod and a laptop and thats about as high tech as my life gets.

message 28: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) LOL, I'm turning my old TV and PC into an arcade machine right now. I'm surrounded by tech at work and at home. But I always cling to old method too, because you never know if an EMP Bomb is going to go off and send us into the stone age.

message 29: by Jo (new)

Jo Impressive Jerrod!

message 30: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) MacGyver is the man, that and Mr. T.

message 31: by Zovo (new)

Zovo | 1 comments Paul Pinn because he's powerful and scarey. His The Pariah is soooo creepy I couldn't look in the mirror for a week in case Paymer, the real creepy bad guy, was standing behind me. The book made me think about thoughts in our heads - are they our own? How would we know if they weren't?

message 32: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Snow (ChicagoBullsfan23) | 2 comments Hi, I'm Lexi, and I was wondering what books there is for me to read. I have read every Stephen King book known to woman at least once, and I have also read the books in the list above and I was wondering if you guys knew of anymore.

message 33: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) you can try this group... very active... lots of books.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 34: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Snow (ChicagoBullsfan23) | 2 comments Jerrod wrote: "you can try this group... very active... lots of books.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

"

Thank you very much, sir.

message 35: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 6 comments My first YA novel just hit the bookstores: ROT & RUIN (Simon & Schuster, hardcover). I’m a NY Times bestselling author and Marvel Comics writer.

ABOUT THE BOOKS: In the zombie-infested world Benny has grown up in, every teenager must work once they turn fifteen—or they'll lose their food rations. Benny isn't interested in taking on the family business, but he reluctantly agrees to train as a zombie killer with his boring big brother, Tom. He expects a dull job, whacking zombies for cash. What he discovers is a vocation that will teach him what it really means to be human.

As Benny's worldview is challenged again and again by the lessons he learns from Tom, he is forced to confront another horrifying reality: sometimes, the most terrible monsters are the human ones.

Critically acclaimed NY Times bestselling author Jonathan Maberry crafts a terrifying future vision of the zombie apocalypse, brought to life through the rich emotional struggles of a teenager trying to find his place in a tumultuous new world.

Praise for….. RUIN & RUIN:

"…an action-packed, thought-provoking look at life—and death." --Kirkus Book Review

"A thrilling triumph, full of action, gripping conflict, soul-fullness, gore, solemnity, and hope. A coming of age piece honed in the ashes of the apocalypse." ---Fiendishgly Bookish

"Thrilling, enticing, and surprisingly touching!" --Heather Brewer -Bestselling author of the Chronicles of Vlad

"This is a romping, stomping adventure. Anyone with a pulse will enjoy this novel, and anyone with a brain will find plenty of food for thought inside!" --Michael Northrop -bestselling author of Gentlemen

"George Romero meets The Catcher in the Rye in this poignant and moving coming of age novel set during zombie times." --Nancy Holder -NY Times bestselling author of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and Pretty Little Devils

"Captured my heart from the first page and refused to let go!" --Maria V. Snyder -multi award-winner and bestselling author of Poison Study

message 36: by Harvey (new)

Harvey McCarthy | 1 comments Blood Reign

I can recommend this one. It is available on most e-readers for $1.99.