Literary Horror discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 18 comments They probably aren't the most "literary" press around but I have enjoyed some of their releases over the year.

https://www.darkfuse.com/

I recently quit their book-club because they changed the way they distribute their book-club e-books from Amazon to strictly download from DarkFuse. Now I'm no big fan of Amazon as most people know but having lost a Kindle recently with lots of side-loaded books on it, I can now appreciate how the Amazon distributed books stay in the cloud and the archive is easy to browse and downloading requires almost no effort on my part as opposed to connecting to Calibre on my PC, etc.

message 2: by Char (new)

Char I'm bummed to hear you quit. :(
I'm backing up my copies to my PC with Calibre. It's a bit of a pain now where it used to be so easy.
Plus, I liked that I could loan the books and that feature is gone.
Did you check out their forums at all?

message 3: by Randolph (last edited Feb 05, 2014 10:49AM) (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 18 comments Charlene wrote: "I'm bummed to hear you quit. :(
I'm backing up my copies to my PC with Calibre. It's a bit of a pain now where it used to be so easy.
Plus, I liked that I could loan the books and that feature is g..."

I'll probably buy the odd book now and then. Why the forums, were people upset by the change?

The inconvenience versus the number of them I read just was not worth the trouble. It was also really easy to peruse the books on my Kindle and take a taste easily since they were always somewhere in the carousel even when I hadn't downloaded them from the cloud yet (on the Fire anyway). Sideloaded books don't automatically appear in the carousel until you find them and open them once.

I forgot one other disadvantage. I have Kindle apps on all my tablets and phone. I have to sideload these now too. Now I have to find another reader (which I do already have) to open and read the Dark Fuse books on the tablets and they don't appear in my Kindle library at all. They don't sync across devices anymore either.

Too many negatives given the few I read. I'll pay the upcharge on Amazon or B&N for the few I really want to read. Giving up the Amazon distribution was a deal breaker for me.

message 4: by Char (new)

Char There wasn't too much complaining in their fora but I do enjoy participating there and consider it to be a nice feature of the club. A lot of authors check in there and answer questions, and there are also free shorts, novellas and novels for those who participate.
I'm going to hang on there for another year and see how it goes.

message 5: by James (new)

James Everington | 55 comments I've read quite a few Darkfuse books - Nicole Cushing & Alan Ryker probably being my favourite if their current crop.

message 6: by Char (new)

Char I think Ryker's work has been fantastic! I've only read one Nicole Cushing book, and that one was pretty good too. Tim Curran has also been top notch. :)

message 7: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 18 comments I read one Nicole Cushing novella that was outstanding. I'm also a big Gifune fan.