YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2)
This topic is about Demonglass
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins - start. Feb 11 2014

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tessa (last edited Feb 04, 2014 09:45PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments Description: "Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (a.k.a. witches, shape-shifters, and faeries). But then she discovered the family secret, and the fact that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie's a demon, one of only two in the world-the other being her father. What's worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will either destroy her powers for good-or kill her.

But once Sophie arrives, she makes a shocking discovery. Her new housemates? They're demons too. Meaning, someone is raising demons in secret, with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they're using Archer to do it. But it's not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?"

I'm reading this one with Alley and Aarati.

Aarati | 296 comments Just started it.

Looks like there be more of Cal in this book.

Chapter 2(view spoiler)

message 3: by Tessa (last edited Feb 10, 2014 11:20PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments Yeah, about Cal, I don't even remember him from the first book. I think he appeared 2 or 3 times at best and only on the sides >.<.

(view spoiler)

Aarati | 296 comments Tessa wrote: "Yeah, about Cal, I don't even remember him from the first book. I think he appeared 2 or 3 times at best and only on the sides >.<."

Yeah. To heal Anna and Chaston. And also at the end of the book, after the whole showdown with Alice.

Tessa | 1951 comments Wow, can you believe I don't even know how he looks? I got so many descriptions for Archer, Cal looked only like a manservant withouth a face. The guy who heals people but never gets a solid description. Well, need to finish Cress and I'll join you for this one. Don't read too fast now XD.

Aarati | 296 comments Tessa wrote: "Wow, can you believe I don't even know how he looks? I got so many descriptions for Archer, Cal looked only like a manservant withouth a face. The guy who heals people but never gets a solid descri..."

Alright Tessa, I won't!

Tessa | 1951 comments Ok, I've read the first 7 chapters :).
(view spoiler)

Let me know how many chapters you want us to read next :). Or how far you are ahead, I'll try to catch up :p.

Aarati | 296 comments @Tessa, I need to catch up with you. I ended up reading another book yesterday, and left this at chapter 3.

message 9: by María (last edited Feb 12, 2014 01:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

María | 2107 comments I'm starting this today :) I hope I can catch up with you!

message 10: by Tessa (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments Don't worry, I won't hurry with this one. Will wait for you guys to catch up ^^.

Aarati | 296 comments Read till chapter 19. I like Cal. He is the quiet and broody type, but I want to see more of him with Sophie. I definitely like him better than Archer. I don't know what to make of Nick and Daisy. (view spoiler) lets see what happens next.

message 12: by Tessa (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments I also got to chapter 23 :) . You'll see a little more Sophie Cal interaction soon, but not that much :( . I also like him a lot, definitely way more than Archer. I'm just sad he got no screening in the first book.
(view spoiler)

María | 2107 comments End of chapter 1 (view spoiler)

Aarati | 296 comments Chapter 21 (view spoiler)

Aarati | 296 comments Ch 30(view spoiler)

message 16: by Tessa (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments I couldn't help it and finished this book. It was so bad I just had to get it out of my system. The last chapters are particularly pathetic. After giving her so many powers Sophie will do NOTHING. And I won't mark this as a spoiler because I think you should be prepared for the ultimate disappointment that is going to be the ending of this book.
I wrote all my raging thought here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Sorry Aarati, but I won't be joining you for Spell Bound. I'm just not that much of a masochist XD.

message 17: by María (last edited Feb 13, 2014 07:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

María | 2107 comments Tessa, I read your comment and is funny because I'm 40% of the book and I was just thinking about how easy to read is the second part, easier than Hex Hall I'm my opinion...
Maybe when I finish it, I will think in the same way that you do :/

María | 2107 comments I finished it and I like it very much! So let me know when you will be reading the next book :)

María | 2107 comments So, I just me or (view spoiler)

message 20: by Tessa (last edited Feb 14, 2014 02:19AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments I've read your review and I'm sad to say I can't agree with any of it.
(view spoiler)

Aarati | 296 comments @Maria, honestly I'm also liking the book. I'm buddy reading School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins with Mei, on Feb 25 so anytime before that I can read with you. Any date in mind?

María | 2107 comments Next monday?

message 23: by María (last edited Feb 14, 2014 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

María | 2107 comments Tessa wrote: "I've read your review and I'm sad to say I can't agree with any of it.
The love triangle is not really there since Sophie never had any feelings for Cal to begin with. She's thinking only of Archer..."

(view spoiler)

Aarati | 296 comments Alright I'm done. I think I like the first book more. There was a lot of action in this book, but I was very disappointed in Sophie at the end.(view spoiler)

Aarati | 296 comments María wrote: "Next monday?"

Sounds good.

message 26: by Tessa (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments I agree with Tessa, it was a cowardly move.
Thank god, I thought I was crazy XD.

Well, I hope you enjoy the other books girls. Maybe we'll meet each other again on more pleasant reads, at least for me XD.

Aarati | 296 comments Tessa wrote: "I agree with Tessa, it was a cowardly move.
Thank god, I thought I was crazy XD.

Well, I hope you enjoy the other books girls. Maybe we'll meet each other again on more pleasant reads, at least f..."

You are doing Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge right?

message 28: by Tessa (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments Yes, and I'm having high hopes for it :).

Aarati | 296 comments Tessa wrote: "Yes, and I'm having high hopes for it :)."

Cool. I'll see you there then. :)

message 30: by Alley (new)

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments I was unable to get a copy of this in time. Sorry, guys. :(