YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
This topic is about Froi of the Exiles
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta - Restarting November 5th 2018

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tessa (last edited Feb 04, 2014 09:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Description: "Finnikin of the Rock and his guardian, Sir Topher, have not been home to their beloved Lumatere for ten years. Not since the dark days when the royal family was murdered and the kingdom put under a terrible curse. But then Finnikin is summoned to meet Evanjalin, a young woman with an incredible claim: the heir to the throne of Lumatere, Prince Balthazar, is alive.

Evanjalin is determined to return home and she is the only one who can lead them to the heir. As they journey together, Finnikin is affected by her arrogance . . . and her hope. He begins to believe he will see his childhood friend, Prince Balthazar, again. And that their cursed people will be able to enter Lumatere and be reunited with those trapped inside. He even believes he will find his imprisoned father.

But Evanjalin is not what she seems. And the truth will test not only Finnikin's faith in her . . . but in himself."

Me and Alley will be reading this one, but anyone is welcomed to join us :) .

Tessa | 1951 comments I started reading this. Ah, I have such high hopes for this! ^^
So far I'm confused about how the Lumatere kingdom was cursed and why can't they return from exile.

Have you started reading this Alley?

message 3: by Alley (new)

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments Not yet. I meant to pick it up, but I was late to school. I had to talk to a few teachers after school.

Tessa | 1951 comments Well, I finished the 10 chapters and OMG, it's the first fantasy YA I'm reading where the main character is not a virgin. XD

Ok, getting back to the story: it's interesting, yet I still don't know how they'll manage to lift the curse. I think I'll need to prepare for a lot of heartbreak from her after. As characters, I don't like anyone in particular so far, maybe just Finnikin, but only a little. ^^

message 5: by Alley (new)

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments I've only read a little bit, because I fell asleep last night while reading it. I really like the set up of things. I have a feeling I'll enjoy this book.

message 6: by Tessa (last edited Feb 27, 2014 08:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Wow, I was not expecting to be this...BORED. I'm 2/3 done with it and I just can't shake the feeling that this could have been so much better.
First, I hated Evanjalin and her evolution as a character. She didn't look like a priestess to me at all. All this story is built on her lies and her manipulative skills. I know some might consider her a strong female character, but I saw her like a complex villain or something.
(view spoiler)

This story started out quite strong only to have it dragging after. I'm really shocked because I've read more from this author and I loved her books. Plus, all the reviews marked this book as some sort of a masterpiece. I can't really see if. :(

message 7: by Alley (new)

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments Ew. I hope I like it more than you do. I really hate getting far in a book and wanting to throw it across the room.

message 8: by Tessa (last edited Feb 27, 2014 01:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Same here. I'm going to finish this because I want to read the second book as well. I really want to give this trilogy a second chance, but if that one's also going to be boring I won't read the last book.

I've recently read some really good books, with really strong characters and solid plot and all, so maybe I'm expecting this one to be the same. [no, I'm demanding this one to be the same because, damn it, everybody seems to love it] The story does have a more mature feeling to it (which I like), but it has a male character as the one telling the story, but unfortunately, this is not his story, it's Evanjalin's. Most of the time he looks like a supportive character, his only goal is to do everything she wants of him.

Tessa | 1951 comments Ok, officially this book is dull and annoying and it makes me crawl on the floor with sadness for my own lost time. 80 pages left. God help me.
(view spoiler)

message 10: by Tessa (last edited Feb 28, 2014 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Done with it! Good riddance. I'm surprise to see that this book had no climax to it. The battle to win back the kingdom lasted less than 2 pages and after that there were a lot more pages about useless retelling of how the people trapped by the curse suffered and convincing Finnikin (view spoiler)

The only reason why I'm giving the next book a try is because the story moves on to Froi and I hope his story will turn out to be less pathetic than Finnikin's.

message 11: by Alley (last edited Mar 01, 2014 06:33PM) (new)

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments I'm enjoying the book, but Evanjalin seems way to manipulative for my liking. I agree that she seems like the main character while Finnikin is just off to the side.

Tessa | 1951 comments Alley wrote: "I'm enjoying the book, but Evanjalin seems way to manipulative for my liking. I agree that she seems like the main character while Finnikin is just off to the side."

Yeah.... I did like Finnikin, but she kinda ruined the story for me. :(

message 13: by Alley (new)

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments Evanjalin (Isaboe whatever) is getting on my last nerve. I only have the final part left to read, less than 80 pages, and I almost don't want to finish it. I'm hoping it wraps up a little nicer. It would have made much more sense for her to just tell them that she was Isaboe in the first place instead of making them go on this wild goose chase with hidden motives.

Tessa | 1951 comments Alley wrote: "Evanjalin (Isaboe whatever) is getting on my last nerve. I only have the final part left to read, less than 80 pages, and I almost don't want to finish it. I'm hoping it wraps up a little nicer. ..."
I had the same feeling you did. The remaining 80 pages will be a challenge.

If Froi of the exiles is as bad as this one I won't finish it :( .

message 15: by Alley (new)

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments I'm agreeing. I actually felt the ending was okay. I'm looking forward to Froi's story.

Tessa | 1951 comments Yeah, the ending was ok, but predictable. If you want to squeeze Froi a little sooner let me know. I just abandoned some of the books I was reading so I have a free space in my schedule :) .

message 17: by Alley (new)

Alley Kat (alleykat666) | 768 comments I don't think I'm going to have any free space sooner. I have a large jumble of books to read this month.

Tessa | 1951 comments Ok, no problem, just wanted to make the offer in case you were excited to read the next one. I'm not particularly excited so I can wait XD.

Tessa | 1951 comments Me and Alley will continue this series with the second book. Feel free to join us :) .

Tessa | 1951 comments Alley, have you started reading this?
I did and so far the story is just as slow as the first book. I liked Finnikin more than Froi. Still like Finnikin a lot :). Regarding the female cast I like Quintana more than Isaboe, but I think her story is so dreadful (view spoiler)

How do you find the story so far?

Tessa | 1951 comments This book is as slow as its predecessor. The action is somewhat interesting but it's taking a really, really long time for something to happen. I also think the YA tag is wrong for this series. The subjects discussed here are very mature and harsh like: rape, murder, enslaving and so on. Not sure this is really a proper or enjoyable read for a teenager.
Getting back to the story: 70% in
(view spoiler)

message 22: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
**************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 5th of November 2018

**************************************************************************************************************************************