Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives > February 2014 Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Looks like it's time to start a new Romance Listening thread.

I'm listening to Loretta Chase's Lord of Scoundrels narrated by Kate Reading. A wonderful book with a fantastic narrator - I'm completely loving it!

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments Not sure I want to post the whole post from the January thread...but I am seriously not wanting Lord of Scoundrel to end. Has anyone read the rest of the books in this series? I didn't realize this was book 3 of (sigh) another series that is likely to suck me in lol. If anyone is on the fence, this is a great book and I love the narration. It is worth the credit.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments This narrator has narrated the Kay Scarpetta series, since book 12. This just could spell financial disaster for me if she has done as well. I did not like the narrator of Post Mortem (the first book) and therefore did not purchase anymore. Has anyone listened to any of the books since 12?

message 4: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Dawn - That series is almost not a series at all. I've read 3 of them (#3, 4 & 1), read in that order and they are almost not related at all. I still have #2 to read so maybe there's some tie in there but I doubt it.

Lord of Scoundrels (#3) and The Last Hellion (#4) are great. #1 was really average and #2 has really lowish ratings so I'm not trusting it will be as good as LoS.

message 5: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm back listening to The Prince of Midnight by Laura Kinsale . I'll try to finish it this time.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments Thanks I was just off trying to figure out how connected they are.

message 7: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I don't remember any of the main characters from book 1 showing up at all in books 3 & 4 (somebody correct me if I'm wrong.) I think the hero of #4 is a drunk guy that Dain punches in the face because he says something nasty about Jessica. But I think that's the only time he shows up in the book without any background whatsoever.

message 8: by Maddy (new)

Maddy Barone (maddybarone) | 40 comments I just finished up Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon. I reqally, really enjoyed it!

message 9: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments I'm listening to The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #2) by Molly Harper

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Looks like it's time to start a new Romance Listening thread.

I'm listening to Loretta Chase's Lord of Scoundrels narrated by Kate Reading. A wonderful book with a fantastic narrat..."

Me too! Me too! So glad I waited for it. :-)

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Camp (deborahcamp) | 27 comments Listening to "Knight & Play" right now. It's okay, but after listening to "Tangled" it's kind of a let down. I loved "Tangled."
Started listening to "This Man" but haven't gone back to it. I read the book already. Just was curious about how it would sound on audio. Veddy British, you know!

message 12: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments Started The English Heiress. Enjoying it so far. Recently finished The Hazards of Hunting a Duke and When the Rogue Returns. I enjoyed both of them very much.

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments The Countess Conspiracy by Courtney Milan came out today on audio. Yea! Not Whispetsynced yet

message 14: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments Dawn wrote: "The Countess Conspiracy by Courtney Milan came out today on audio. Yea! Not Whispetsynced yet"
I had just been wondering how to spend this month's credit.

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments Yup that is exactly what I did...but thank goodness I buy them in bulk because Concealed in Death comes out in 13 days...

message 16: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 145 comments Thanks for the heads up about LORD OF SCOUNDRELS. Loved the book! I grabbed it. I'm shocked that this is the first of Chase's books into audio. I've been reading her for years.

message 17: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments Finished The English Heiress by Patricia Rice . I really enjoyed this book. The writing was good and I like the narrator, Roger Clark. I thought he did a good job - there was one minor female character that I thought the pitch was a little off, but not enough to pull me out of the story.

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments So far... J.D. Robb hasn't bored me... onto Remember When....

message 19: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments Sue wrote: "So far... J.D. Robb hasn't bored me... onto Remember When...."

Sue- I love Remember When! It is such a great combination of Nora Roberts writing talents.

I finished Lord of Scoundrels with an anguished sigh- I just didn't want the story to end. I am making myself wait awhile before listening again. The narration made a wonderful story with memorable characters such a delight.

message 20: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Just finished Midnight Rainbow (Kell Sabin, #1) by Linda Howard . Was excited to listen to it because it's a favorite of mine. However, the narration was just okay, I didn't really like Brenda Sweeney's voice for Grant. Next time I have the urge to enjoy it I'll just read it.

message 21: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Lee wrote: "Sue wrote: "So far... J.D. Robb hasn't bored me... onto Remember When...."

Sue- I love Remember When! It is such a great combination of Nora Roberts writing talents.

I..."

It's funny, trying to figure out how Rourke and Eve will be added to the mix... 1/3 of the way in no sign. But, really liking the story... love Susan Ericksen's voicing of Max...(Atlanta born...I love a good southern accent).

message 22: by comfort (new)

comfort | 42 comments Just finished The Prince of Midnight by Laura Kinsale by Laura Kinsale. Historical Fiction is my dirty little secret reading genre.

I loved this story and didn't want it to end. I enjoyed the banter between H/h. I was a tad shocked at the goings on within the cult.

I read that Ms Kinsale researched the horse training sequences extensively which is obvious.

I, like many other reviews I have read got frustrated with Leighs' attitude to S.T. but didn't hold it against her as she was being very careful with her heart (but not so much her body)

Am off to find another LK audio

message 23: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments Sue, Eve and Roarke come into it in the second half. The first half is contemporary and the second half takes us into the future.

message 24: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I liked that S.T. & Leigh didn't go into the sunset right after they finished the bad guys but that they had to work out some issues first.

I'm trying to decide which LK book to buy next. Which ones would you guys recommend? I want to listen to one I haven't read so Flowers from the Storm and My Sweet Folly are out. :)

message 25: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments DG I loved Dream Hunter if you haven't read that one yet. I bought The Shadow and the Star, but haven't listened to it yet.

message 26: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) D.G. wrote: "I liked that S.T. & Leigh didn't go into the sunset right after they finished the bad guys but that they had to work out some issues first.

I'm trying to decide which LK book to buy next. Which on..."

I've enjoyed a number of Kinsale titles but I think For My Lady's Heart may be next of my list of audio faves after FFTS. Some more unpleasant heroine behavior to endure but it all worked for me as I understood her reasons.

message 27: by D.G. (last edited Feb 09, 2014 03:57PM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Ooohh...they both look good! Thanks for the recs, ladies!

I think I'll go with For My Lady's Heart because that book is already on my TBR. This year I'm trying VERY hard to work on old books from my TBR before I get new ones and so far, I've doing a decent job. More than half the books I've read this year have been on my TBR for at least a couple of years.

message 28: by Shell (new)

Shell | 1 comments Reading The Dream Hunter. It is a re-listen. Oddly I'm not as in love with it as I was when I first read it. It could be that I'm older and seeing Arik as a stalker who's only out for his own emotional fix rather than as a hero who wants more than just a quick two week fling. Narration is superb, but that's still not keeping my interest as I had hoped. Odd.

message 29: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments Oh I do hope I do not encounter that when I do my re-listen.

message 30: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments That's happened to me with a couple of books I've re-read. Loved them the first time around but then didn't like them as much the second time! It's dissapointing.

message 31: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments I'm starting Dead Ever After

message 32: by Angie (last edited Feb 10, 2014 02:26PM) (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 415 comments D.G. wrote: "That's happened to me with a couple of books I've re-read. Loved them the first time around but then didn't like them as much the second time! It's dissapointing."

It also works the other way. Usually the ones that I just liked the first time end up being a lot better the second time around.

message 33: by Lee (last edited Feb 11, 2014 03:36AM) (new)

Lee | 484 comments Still in relisten mode so am finishing up Outlander (4th time?), then on to Voyager. I tend to skip Dragonfly in Amber, not because it isn't a great book- but the French court segment drags on too long for me and I have some favorite scenes in Voyager that I listen to over and over.

I still have the In Death CD's that I bought at the silent auction last year- kind of hoarding those since I have read them all and listened to 5 or 6 of them so these are also comfort listens.

Speaking of hoarding, I am holding off spending my few Audible credits in hopes of a BOGO sale soon.

message 34: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Angie wrote: "It also works the other way. Usually the ones that I just liked the first time end up being a lot better the second time around. "

I almost never re-read books I just 'like' so that never happens to me!

message 35: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 415 comments D.G. wrote: "Angie wrote: "It also works the other way. Usually the ones that I just liked the first time end up being a lot better the second time around. "

I almost never re-read books I just 'like' so that ..."

They are usually in a series, and the ones that I liked least the first time around end up being my favorites when I go back to relisten to the series.

It happens a lot though with books that I read first and then listened to. A great narration can make me love a book that was just good or okay in print. Of course my tastes have changed over the years and has a lot to do with it, and since long ago favorites aren't as good now, that means the opposite must be true, too.

message 36: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments I agree with the series issue...I end up loving some and only liking some then in the re-listen, I can change which ones I only liked and vice versa.

Lee is rubbing in that autographed copy win of the whole series again lol. I am doing a mini re-listen because Concealed comes out in 7 days...

message 37: by ElaineY (new)

ElaineY I'm listening to an old Karen Robards - One Summer. This hard-to-find audiobook wasn't available for a long time but Audible just released it last week.

message 38: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments ElaineY wrote: "I'm listening to an old Karen Robards - One Summer. This hard-to-find audiobook wasn't available for a long time but Audible just released it last week."

Yep, One Summer was worth the wait.

message 39: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Dyer (solsticesinger) | 33 comments I'm listening to Power by Debra Webb. Love this series. It's romantic suspense at its best. After this, I think I'll read Unveiled by Courtney Milan. The narrator is new to me, so we'll see how she does.

message 40: by JaneA (last edited Feb 12, 2014 12:16PM) (new)

JaneA | 485 comments I'm listening to Heart of Obsidianby Nalini Singh, narrated by Angela Dawe. I had stopped reading this a little while ago, I got bored with Blaze of Memoryand didn't pick up the next one until recently. BOM must have been a blip because she's written some good ones since then. To refresh my memory I picked up the first two in the series in audio, enjoyed them a lot, and then filled in the last couple of books either as ebook or audio. I'm really liking Angela Dawe's narration and the Psy/Changling series is excellent. It's a win/win!

message 41: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Dyer (solsticesinger) | 33 comments I'm listening to a Singh book too. It's Archangel's Blade narrated by Justine Eyre. I loved the first 3 in this series. I love her psy/channgeling books too. Angela Dawe does a great job with them.

message 42: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments Shannon wrote: "I'm listening to Power by Debra Webb. Love this series. It's romantic suspense at its best. After this, I think I'll read Unveiled by Courtney Milan. The narrator is new to me, so we'll see how she..."

I loved the books in print and enjoyed both Unveiled and Unclaimed in audiobooks. However, Smite's story, Unraveled, remains the only audiobook I have ever returned to Audible because I couldn't stand the narrator's voice. Just a caution if you decide to do the whole series.

message 43: by ElaineY (new)

ElaineY Shannon wrote: "I'm listening to Power by Debra Webb. Love this series. It's romantic suspense at its best. After this, I think I'll read Unveiled by Courtney Milan. The narrator is new to me, so we'll see how she..."

What's the romance thread in this series like? There are a lot of books already and I need to know more about the romance/police procedural ratio before I spend that much money.

message 44: by Kathy (last edited Feb 12, 2014 08:21PM) (new)

Kathy Golden | 453 comments I just finished Highland Surrender.

It's not that long and I enjoyed the story; it was a different plot twist. But it took me a while to finish the book because of Sarah Coomes's narration. I purchased another book she's narrating, but I'm going to wait a while before I start it.

So far, I am enjoying Wild Montana Sky, Book One, which is narrated by Natalie Ross.

message 45: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Dyer (solsticesinger) | 33 comments I'd say the romance is a work in progress. They have feelings for each other. Both acknowledge it, but how to fit it in when they work together? They both have a lot of baggage too. So, in many ways, the suspense is more well-formed than the romance. I'm hoping this changes as the series grows, and Jess and Dan figure out exactly what they want.

message 46: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (zannerina) | 274 comments Having a re-listen to Heyer's Black Sheep. Always love Heyer's wit and language, but the Narrator (Barbara Leigh-Hunt) sounds too old for the 28 year old heroine.

message 47: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Camp (deborahcamp) | 27 comments I'm listening to Driven.
Finished Knight and Stay. It was great!!!

message 48: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments I finished Carnal Secrets by Suzanne Wright and I'm starting Motorcycle Man by Kristin Ashley. I like the Wright series about the Phoenix Pack but even I will admit that it's sort of trashy fun. I'm not adverse to a little trashy fun.

message 49: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments About 3/4 of the way through Lord of Scoundrels and it's as amazing as everyone has said. On a related note, Loretta Chase indicated more books will be forthcoming on her website.

http://www.lorettachase.com/blog/2014...

Basically it sounds like the her current trilogy should be coming in audio as well as as a few others and hopefully some of them will be available by May!

message 50: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (zannerina) | 274 comments Moriah wrote: "About 3/4 of the way through Lord of Scoundrels and it's as amazing as everyone has said. On a related note, Loretta Chase indicated more books will be forthcoming on her website.

http://www.lore..."

Thanks for the link!

« previous 1 3