Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The First New Testament: Marcion's Scriptural Canon
This topic is about The First New Testament
Policies & Practices > Where to Place Formal Reviews

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Westar (new) - added it

Westar | 3 comments I am a new librarian who just started adding general descriptions, URLs, etc., to books published by Polebridge Press. However, I'm not sure where it is appropriate to place endorsements and/or reviews from external sources, such as Midwest Book Review.

As you can see on the book I linked here, I initially placed an endorsement under the description. But then I read the following in the Librarian's Manual: "It should be a generic summary and should NOT include reviews or personal feelings (i.e. "This is a book about sisters. It was good. You should read it")."

I am not posting my own reviews, of course, because I represent the publisher. Rather, I would like to know what to do with reviews received by others. I don't see a clear place for endorsements and external reviews (and perhaps those should go in two different places). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best,
Cassandra

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44590 comments Mod
There is no appropriate place on a book's page for endorsements and outside reviews.

The author (if they have an account) may put them in a blog post, quote them in their bio, etc. But as the publisher, those options are not available to you.

message 3: by Westar (new) - added it

Westar | 3 comments "The author (if they have an account) may put them in a blog post, quote them in their bio, etc. But as the publ..."

Thanks, Rivka. I suspected this might be the case. In which case I'll remove endorsements from the general description. Most of our authors would prefer we manage this sort of thing, which I suppose is best communicated on the Goodreads Feedback thread.

message 4: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Westar wrote: "Thanks, Rivka. I suspected this might be the case. In which case I'll remove endorsements from the general description. Most of our authors would prefer we manage this sort of thing, which I suppose is best communicated on the Goodreads Feedback thread."

I'm not sure that there is a proper place for external reviews or endorsements apart from, as Rivka said, the authors bio, or else in a group whose general aims are inline with the content of the book and who specifically allow the touting of books by authors or publishers. The Feedback and Librarians groups are positively not suitable. There is a fine line between touting and spamming and many Goodreads members have a hair-trigger response on the flagging button.

message 5: by Westar (new) - added it

Westar | 3 comments Banjomike wrote: "The Feedback and Librarians groups are positively not suitable."

What I meant was I would like to communicate my feedback to the Goodreads staff on the Feedback thread, not that I want to put endorsements/reviews on the Feedback thread. That may not be what you meant, either. Just clarifying, thanks.