Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8 comments 1984 by George Orwell A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers A Long Way Gone Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) by Lemony Snicket A Wrinkle in Time (Time, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle Selected Stories by Alice Munro Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll All the President's Men by Carl Bernstein Angela's Ashes (Frank McCourt #1) by Frank McCourt

OMG! This takes me back! Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume

I loved this one! --> Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Beloved by Toni Morrison Born to Run A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall Breath, Eyes, Memory  by Edwidge Danticat Catch-22 (Catch-22, #1) by Joseph Heller Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl Charlotte's Web by E.B. White Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese Daring Greatly How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brené Brown Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #1) by Jeff Kinney

My mom's favorite book --> Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

What?? Why is *this* on the list?? --> Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown Great Expectations by Charles Dickens Guns, Germs, and Steel The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling

Why haven't I read this yet? --> In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware Kitchen Confidential Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain Life After Life by Kate Atkinson Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2) by Laura Ingalls Wilder Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Loved this! --> Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

Moneyball The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham On the Road by Jack Kerouac Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen Persepolis The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1-2) by Marjane Satrapi Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth

YES!! --> Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I NEED to read this!! --> Silent Spring by Rachel Carson

Can't go wrong with some Vonnegut! --> Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Team of Rivals The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

Crucify me, but though I liked this one, I never considered it that great --> The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

The Color of Water A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother by James McBride

Forgive me, but is Franzen as good as his hype?? --> The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

I loved this book, but it's hardly top 100 fare --> The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson

YES! DEFINITELY! --> The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green The Giver (The Giver Quartet, #1) by Lois Lowry

Loved this book, never could figure out why Christians hate it so --> The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Probably in my personal TOP FIVE books! --> The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (If you haven't read it, why not?)

The House at Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne

I loved this, but - once again - wouldn't put it in top 100 --> The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot The Liars' Club by Mary Karr

Another book I liked but can't imagine putting on a 100 Best Books list --> The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry The Long Goodbye (Philip Marlowe, #6) by Raymond Chandler The Looming Tower Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 by Lawrence Wright

I was going to be upset if Gone Girl had knocked this off the list --> The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3) by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks The Omnivore's Dilemma A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver The Power Broker Robert Moses and the Fall of New York by Robert A. Caro The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe The Road by Cormac McCarthy The Secret History by Donna Tartt

If I had to pick one Stephen King, I would've gone for The Stand --> The Shining (The Shining, #1) by Stephen King

The Stranger by Albert Camus The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

Huh? This book made the Top 100, but no Dr Seuss? --> The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami The World According to Garp by John Irving The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

Incredible! --> Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1) by Chinua Achebe

Important!! In my TOP 5! --> To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Unbroken A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

The link for the original site is: http://www.amazon.com/b?ref_=tsm_1_tw...

Now, books I can't believe were left off and these are just off the top of my head: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë The Complete Works Of Edgar Allen Poe by Edgar Allan Poe And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

I'm sure there are more... what about you guys??

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lu30) Wow loads to think about here! I feel rubbish as I haven't read even half of these books! There are some fab ones here...and some surprising ones. Agree with you on ones left off

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8 comments Thanks, Lisa. Can you think of any others they left off? Any you think shouldn't be there?

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lu30) All the ones on the list I've read I agree should be on there and I would like to see Brave New World by Aldous Huxley , The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern , The Color Purple by Alice Walker , The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams . Although I think I could go on and on with these! :)

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth | 339 comments The Corrections? Really? Blech, I hated it!

message 6: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Beth,
I hated The Corrections , too . I disliked the characters so much , I couldn't finish it . I read Freedom and it was just okay . IMHO I think Franzen is overrated .

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth | 339 comments Angela wrote: "Beth,
I hated The Corrections , too . I disliked the characters so much , I couldn't finish it . I read Freedom and it was just okay . IMHO I think Franzen is overrated ."

I didn't bother with Freedom because The Corrections was just so agonizing to read - it is just such a weird book. I started it over and over and over again and finally finished it about two years after I had started it - it bordered on painful!

message 8: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (miss_charlie_d) | 32 comments Okay, so I think the thing to remember here is that it's 100 Books to Read, not necessarily the 100 Best books ever. Sometimes we should read something because of the content, or the originality, not necessarily because it's fantastic. For instance, Bel Canto, which made this list, was a good book, but not necessarily a "must-read" in my opinion. The Hunger Games should probably make the list because it best represents the new age of fiction. Gone Girl, while I freaking HATED, was unique in it's own way - who has written such terrible people before? Plus it was such a phenomenon in the literary world. My book club was so divided about this book, in a way that had never happened before. I hated it, but I agree that people who consider themselves afficionados of literature should read it to garner their own opinion.

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth | 339 comments Charlie wrote: "Okay, so I think the thing to remember here is that it's 100 Books to Read, not necessarily the 100 Best books ever. Sometimes we should read something because of the content, or the originality, n..."

I loved Gone Girl. I thought it had to be one of the most sick, twisted stories I had ever read - which to me meant it was brilliant!

message 10: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Was this 1 book/author?

message 11: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Beth , even though it took you two years to get through it , you've got more stamina than I do . I just couldn't finish it .

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth | 339 comments Angela wrote: "Beth , even though it took you two years to get through it , you've got more stamina than I do . I just couldn't finish it ."

Don't worry, you didn't miss much - it never got any better.

message 13: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (miss_charlie_d) | 32 comments Beth wrote: "I loved Gone Girl. I thought it had to be one of the most sick, twisted stories I had ever read - which to me meant it was brilliant! "

See, I thought it was unrealistic. In the end, when he (view spoiler)

She is a very unique author, I will give you that.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth | 339 comments agree. I looked past any inconsistencies because I thought it was such a great story and as I said above, it was just so completely sick and twisted, I just thought it was brilliant.

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8 comments The Amazon list says 100 books to read before you die. There were books on there I thought I could definitely survive without having read. And some books I thought were necessary weren't on it.

Jonathan Franzen - I've never read him but I'm prejudiced against him. When you get great reviews before your book is even released...

message 16: by Cherene (new)

Cherene | 4 comments I wish they had explained there choices more.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1467 comments Victor Hugo's Les Miserables

message 18: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 11 comments I couldn't agree more that Jane Eyre should have been on this list.

I also loved Gone Girl, although I didn't love the ending.

I've picked up The Corrections several times and put it back down almost immediately. Looks like maybe I should leave it down.

message 19: by Eleri (new)

Eleri Gone Girl was pretty amazing simply for the fact that Gillian Flynn created a whole cast of characters who were so irredeemably bad that it was actually almost impressive.
Although I can't decide whether it remains impressive or becomes less impressive by the fact that her other woks have the same ratio of irredeemable and unlikeable characters.
Either way she creates some truly dark yet emotive and obsessive storylines.

message 20: by Eleri (new)

Eleri Also... I was made to read Vonnegut in my final year of uni and wasn't too impressed... Until I actually read it... And omg my mind was blown and a whole new genre was opened up to me. Although I haven't had a lot of time to really explore the genre it's definitely added to my to-read list a lot.