Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Combine book editions

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mihail (new)

Mihail Bălan (mihail_balan) | 5 comments Hello,

I've added 3 books that I own and I would like to ask you to combine them into their respective editions. Most of the details are from the hard copies I own, some is gathered from various sites. All editions are Romanian translations, so please note that the romanian author names are slightly different than the english names. Also I corrected the descriptions where necessary.

Book 1:
Mastrul și Margareta — Mihail Bulgakov should be combined with The Master and Margarita — Mikhail Bulgakov.
Some details from http://librarie.carturesti.ro/maestru... (romanian page) and various other sites. Please note that on this page the publish year is erroneously listed as 2007. The correct publish year is 2012 as listed by my copy of the edition and on other sites.

Book 2:
Crimă și pedeapsă — Feodor Dostoievski should be combined with Crime and Punishment — Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
Some details from http://librarie.carturesti.ro/crima-s... (romanian page) and various other sites.

Book 3:
QED - Strania teorie despre lumină și materie — Richard P. Feynman should be combined with QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter — Richard P. Feynman
Some details from http://ebibliophil.ro/carte/qed-stran... (romanian page) and various other sites.

Thank you.

message 2: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 1370 comments Done, Mihail.

message 3: by Mihail (new)

Mihail Bălan (mihail_balan) | 5 comments Thank you.

I have a question. As I have said, the author names is slightly different in my language (and printed as such in the books) Mikhail Bulgakov is Mihail Bulgakov, Fyodor Dostoyevsky is Feodor Dostoievsky. And I feel that the author name should be listed as it is in the book. Is there a way to change the author name and still remain an edition?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Feb 04, 2014 12:53PM) (new)

rivka | 43624 comments Mod
From the section of the Librarian Manual on author names:

In some cases, a book may be originally published under a pen name, but then later reissued under the author's original name. When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its author name changed to the originally published pen name. Doing this will allow the various editions to be combined.

Authors with books published in multiple languages should have their names dealt with similarly to those with pen names. All editions should have the primary author name as the standard or most common Roman (that is, English-language) version of the author's name. Editions published under another spelling of the name or the name in another language should have that name listed as the secondary author.

message 5: by Mihail (new)

Mihail Bălan (mihail_balan) | 5 comments Thank you, I have modify accordingly.