2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2014 > Lyndi Harman 120 book 2014 personal reading challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments I want to read 120 books in 2014. That makes me average 10 books a month which is totally doable!

message 3: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Just finished book 19 The Dog's Days of Summer. On to book #20!

message 4: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #20 has been completed! It was A Tale of Two Cities. Hopefully I'll make it through book 21 before the month is up!

message 5: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #21, The End of Your Life Book Club completed with one hour left in February! One of the best books I have ever read 5 stars!

message 6: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #22 complete The Book Thief. Absolutely loved it! Another 5 star book for 2014.

message 7: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #23 complete Middlesex. Excellent book yet another 5 star!

message 8: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #24 Light in the Attic. Cute little book of poems. Absolutely loved a few of them. Nice change from all the novels I've been reading!

message 9: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #25 Where the Sidewalk Ends. Unfortunately I wasn't as impressed with this poetry collection as the last. Only 3 stars for this one.

message 10: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #26 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Really like this book giving it 4 stars.

message 11: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Lyndi wrote: "Book #26 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Really like this book giving it 4 stars."

I've only seen the movie version and loved it. I think the author wrote it to shed some light on metal health practices at the time... maybe. I might have heard that somewhere.

message 12: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments He worked night shift at a psych ward while he wrote it. He was also tripping out of his mind on acid and peyote the whole time too. He even got a dose of electric shock therapy so he could write about it from experience. I'm currently reading The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test which is the biography of the author. I have yet to watch the movie but it's on my to do list.

message 13: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Lyndi wrote: "He worked night shift at a psych ward while he wrote it. He was also tripping out of his mind on acid and peyote the whole time too. He even got a dose of electric shock therapy so he could write a..."

Whoa. I didn't know about all of those other things. That biography must be something (:

message 14: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #27 complete The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. The biography of Ken Kesey and the merry band of pranksters. The info about Kesey was awesome but the writing could have been better. Wouldn't mind finding an updated biography to see what he has been up to the past few years.

message 15: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Adriana wrote: "Lyndi wrote: "He worked night shift at a psych ward while he wrote it. He was also tripping out of his mind on acid and peyote the whole time too. He even got a dose of electric shock therapy so he..."

If you're really into Kesey or the psychedelic movement the yeah it's worth a read. Otherwise skip it.

message 16: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #28 The Time Keeper. Another 3 star book but it does make you think!

message 17: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #29 Joyland complete. Of course king doesn't disappoint 4 stars!

message 18: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #30 Choke complete. Very good but wow on some of the sex scenes!

message 19: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #31 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and book #32 The Lottery are both complete. I really enjoyed both of them.

message 20: by LyndiLea (last edited Aug 01, 2014 03:10PM) (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #33 Full Dark, No Stars and book #34 Lies My Teacher Told Me are both complete. Time to get started on my April group read books.

message 21: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #35 Amazonia complete. Classic Rollins follows his formula to a T.

message 22: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #36 The Magicians complete. A total rip off of Harry Potter and The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Only gave it a 3 out of 5.

message 23: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #37 Perfume: The Story of a Murderer complete. Pretty good book I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. Getting ready to watch the movie again. I watched it years ago when it first came out so I have forgot the details. I'll be interested to see how the book and movie compare. If I can remember I'll post an update for that.

message 24: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #38 Wonder is complete. Very good book for readers of any age and almost any level. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

message 25: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #39 Matilda is complete. Very good little book. Thank god for miss honey!

message 26: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #40 A Caribbean Mystery it's complete. I read this one for a challenge and it wasn't that great but I can check one off the list so it was worth it!

message 27: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #41 A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is complete. Absolutely loved it! Gave it a 5 out of 5 stars.

message 28: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Books #42 & #43, The Time Traveler's Wife & The Dark Monk are complete. Both were very good and I gave them 4 out of 5 stars. I only listened to the Time Traveler's Wife on audiobook and I only read The Dark Monk. I started them the same day and a week later finished them the same day and I didn't get the stories or characters confused or mixed up. It worked surprisingly well. I'm going to try it again this week.

message 29: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #44 Flowers in the Attic is complete. This is my second time reading it so I knew I would love it before I even started it. The most recent lifetime made for tv movie I must say is pretty close to the book, but not exact. If you haven't read this book yet you really should its super awesome!

message 30: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments I have seen the movie flowers in the attic and I loved it!! now I can't wait to read the book.

message 31: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Alison wrote: "I have seen the movie flowers in the attic and I loved it!! now I can't wait to read the book."

You will love the book. There is actually a whole series. I have read them all and I am currently revisiting them.

message 32: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #45 The Beggar King is complete. The third installment of the Hangman's Daughter Series. I can't wait to read book 4 I just got it the other day. I think Magdalena and Simon finaly get married! I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars.

message 33: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Books #46, #47, & #48 are all complete. I read Life After Life , The Secret Garden , and 20th Century Ghosts. The first one was excellent, the second one was pretty good, and the third one was kinda disappointing. However, by completing these three books I completed my three different monthly group reads to yay me lol

message 34: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Four more books complete #49, #50, #51, and #52. In the order completed they are: A Touch of Dead, The Kite Runner, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, & Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend. All of them were good especially Kite Runner and Memoirs. I would only recommend Touch of Dead to hardcore Sooki Stackhouse fans. Scary Stories to tell in the Dark was fun to read with my son and introduce him to the stories I grew up on. So far I am still ahead of schedule to complete 120 books this year. Woot Woot go me :)

message 35: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Three more books completed. Book #53 More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and book #54 Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark 3 finishes out my scary story collections. Book #55 Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir was absolutly hilarious. I LOLed many times while reading it.

message 36: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #56 complete Pilgrim's Wilderness: A True Story of Faith and Madness on the Alaska Frontier and I loved it! Definitely 5 stars!!!

message 37: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #57, #58, and #59 are complete. First up a self help book for my Literary Explorer reading challenge, The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun. As far as self help books go this one wasn't bad but I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking for something light and fun to read. Second was The Atlantis Gene a post apocalyptic book about genetic manipulation to further the human race and how it all began back in WWI. The third book I read for the 2014 reading challenge May group read. I absolutely loved Unwind I will definitely be reading more of that series.

message 38: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #60, #61, and #62 are complete. First up was Divergent for the literary exploration June group read. Ok book but I won't be continuing the series. Next up was Guts a short story which was crazily awesome! Last but most certainly not least was Fahrenheit 451 which was a super good book that I highly recommend.

message 39: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #63 and #64 are complete. First was Slaughterhouse-Five which I really enjoyed. I loved the historical fiction aspect of the novel and how he is disjointed in time, very cool. Second was 1984 which was a boring snooze fest. I had big expectations for that one considering how much hype has been built up around it over the years. However, I was very disappointed and had to force myself to finish it.

message 40: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #65 is complete. I read The Catcher in the Rye continuing on with my modern classic theme for this month. I was much happier with this book than the last one I read. The writing was excellent and I was never bored. Very annoyed with the main character and his bad attitude and choices and times but very please with the book. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

message 41: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #66 and #67 are complete. I read Animal Farm and High-Rise. I loved High Rise. No spoilers just READ IT! Animal farm was pretty good but I didn't get the metaphor because I don't know crap about early 1900's history.

message 42: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #68 is complete. I read The Graveyard Book. A really enjoyable YA read about a little boy that survives an attempted murder to be raised by ghosts in his local graveyard. Just enough creepy and spooky to keep me interested.

message 43: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Lyndi wrote: "Book #68 is complete. I read The Graveyard Book. A really enjoyable YA read about a little boy that survives an attempted murder to be raised by ghosts in his local graveyard. Just e..."

I love that description! Sounds really quirky and fun (:

message 44: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #69 complete. The Long Walk by Stephen King originally published as Richard Bachman. Excellent book about 100 teen boys who must walk for their lives. Only one boy will survive, the rest will be shot one at a time for things like walking too slow, having a leg cramp, squatting too long to use the bathroom, and even stepping off the designated path. The writing was excellent very raw, gritty, and in your face. Definitely a must read I gave it 5 out of 5 stars.

message 45: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Books #70 and #71 are complete. The first book I read wasHaunted. A very unique short story collection definitely a must read 5 out 5 stars! The second book I read was Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why. This is one of the most boring books I have ever read. It rivals a textbook. I gave it one out of five stars.

message 46: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #72 is finally complete! I read The Monk. I normally wouldn't read this type of book but it was the assigned monthly group read in the literary exploration book club. The book was a bore but I did enjoy all the supernatural elements. Overall I give it 3 stars with no recommendation.

message 47: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #73 is complete. A Thousand Splendid Suns, the third book I have read by Khaled Hosseini. It is an excellent book! It is a story of the lives of 2 Afghan women and their will to survive in a war torn country. The story is raw, brutal, and in your face. Women in Afghanistan went from being lawyers, doctors, and professors to being worth less than the family dog. The story may be fiction but the hardships, social practices and economical situations are very real. What women face in other countries right now as I write this is down right appalling and sad, but it is their every day life. The violence and death they face completely astonished me and gave me a true appreciation for the comfort I am fortunate enough to live in. By luck of birth I am here and some other woman born the same day, same time is there facing bombings, beatings, gender discrimination, and so much more. Every woman needs to read this book but I also think it is important for men to read this book as well. The story, writing, and characters are great you won't be disappointed.

message 48: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6288 comments Lyndi wrote: "Book #73 is complete. A Thousand Splendid Suns, the third book I have read by Khaled Hosseini. It is an excellent book! It is a story of the lives of 2 Afghan women and t..."

It is an excellent book!

message 49: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Book #74 complete. I read The Last Oracle. This book fulfilled the espionage genre for the insane challenge in the literary exploration book club. Only 2 genres left and I will have the challenge complete!!! As far as the book goes it was classic Rollins. Some history, some archeology, and of course some ass kicking. Super glad Monk is back with SIGMA. I keep seeing an advertisement for a new book coming out in the series. I will have to be sure and check that out.

message 50: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments I completed Book #75 yesterday, July 31st, The Book of Life. I read it solely for pleasure. It didn't fulfill any challenges or genres I needed. However it did let me complete a series I have been working on for a few months now, The All Souls Trilogy. Very good fantasy series and definitly worth a read. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I also recommend Deborah Harkness write another sequel. There is so much left to tell on that story line. I know that ruins the whole trilogy thing but who cares I want another book!

« previous 1