The Sword and Laser discussion

2014 Reads > AC: Poll up for March Laser pick

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1151 comments Mod
I said we'd vote and by golly we're gonna vote.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/9...

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments May we campaign? I will anyway. I don't like re-reading, and I like when we read newer books. The only book on the list I haven't read is also the newest. I would encourage everyone to vote for The Martian.

message 3: by Andy (last edited Feb 10, 2014 06:02AM) (new)

Andy (andy_m) | 311 comments Here are the links to the write-in ballots because the links are not showing up properly in the poll:

The Prefect
House of Suns
Roadside Picnic
Armored
Parable of the Sower
The Dragon Never Sleeps
Armor
Tuf Voyaging
I plan on periodically keeping this updated. I am not campaigning for any books here, I just want to keep everyone informed.

message 4: by Geoff (new)

Geoff (geoffgreer) Woo, House of Suns write-in.

message 5: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments Thanks for the poll since you promised it.

I've noticed a correlation with books we read from a poll and whether or not I like the pick, though...hoping this one bucks the trend!! :D

message 6: by Casey (new)

Casey | 654 comments Hold on. We get to choose?

message 7: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments Casey wrote: "Hold on. We get to choose?"

Occasionally, Her Imperial Swordness or Her Hand find it pragmatic to foster the illusions of democracy. :)

message 8: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments Actually, i think popular opinion has at least heavily swayed the monthly pick >50% of the time.

message 9: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments I agree, it's quite often influential even if there's not a poll. That said, I've still had particularly bad luck with picks where we have voted, so come on guys and gals, help buck that trend, pick something good! ;)

message 10: by Casey (new)

Casey | 654 comments P. Aaron wrote: "Occasionally, Her Imperial Swordness or Her Hand find it pragmatic to foster the illusions of democracy. :)"

I have a fondness for illusions of democracy! :)

P. Aaron wrote: "Actually, i think popular opinion has at least heavily swayed the monthly pick >50% of the time.

I like to think so.

message 11: by Liudvikas (new)

Liudvikas (liudvikast) | 20 comments Vote for the brighter future, vote for House of Suns. It is by far my favorite sci-fi book, I just might reread it anyways, even if it doesn't win, because it is so good.
Also it is one of Toms books voted on sci-fi list, so even our dictators want to read it.

message 12: by Kev (last edited Feb 05, 2014 04:04AM) (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 639 comments Sandi wrote: "May we campaign? I will anyway. I don't like re-reading, and I like when we read newer books. The only book on the list I haven't read is also the newest. I would encourage everyone to vote for The..."

The Martian was fantastic! I loved that book. Everyone should read it! My wife read it too and loved it, and she's not really a scifi book fan.

message 13: by Tamahome (last edited Feb 05, 2014 06:12AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments The Martian sounds like that old movie, "Robinson Crusoe On Mars". It's scientifically authentic! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJkyFU... It's got Adam West and a monkey!

message 14: by P. Aaron (last edited Feb 05, 2014 07:10AM) (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments I like my martians tragic and masked and covered with sand and wielding guns full of bees. Vote for The Martian Chronicles! Arguably the most influential author of speculative fiction in history, and we've never even touched on Bradbury's ouvre. C'mon, guys, thousands of middle school literature teachers can't be wrong!

Plus: bee guns! Guns that shoot actual bees.

message 15: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments I can see the animated whiteboard already...

message 16: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1140 comments I wonder if this should be made sticky (is that the term?) so it stays near the top.

message 17: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Ok seriously, who wrote in for a book that was already on the list?

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 490 comments Christopher wrote: "Ok seriously, who wrote in for a book that was already on the list?"

...and four people have voted for it!

message 19: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 63 comments Why no female authors? This group is usually good at reading women authors so I'm surprised.

message 20: by Dustin (new)

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments Parable of the Sower was written by a women.

Its interesting to note that 6 out of the last 8 books we read were written by women authors.

However our scifi picks are almost always written by men. The genre has more published men writers and so its understandable, by sastistics alone, that most of what we want to read will have male writers.

message 21: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 63 comments Dustin wrote: "Parable of the Sower was written by a women.

Its interesting to note that 6 out of the last 8 books we read were written by women authors.

However our scifi picks are almost always written by me..."

I wonder why that cover never made it to the bottom of the poll with images? I tend to look at my choices there...

Which is why I said this group is good at representing female authors, by the way.

message 22: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments Must have been someone with a new sleeve that put in Altered Carbon twice.

message 23: by Walter (new)

Walter (walterwoods) | 144 comments Altered Carbon: the book everyone owns and nobody's read.

message 24: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I have read Altered Carbon. In fact, I've read all the poll choices except The Martian. That's really unusual for me.

message 25: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments I'm surprised you like it, compared to Peter Hamilton.

message 26: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments I've read Altered Carbon, I actually voted for it so I could have a bunch more people to talk about it with.

message 27: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments I'm tempted to re-read it.

message 28: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Walter wrote: "Altered Carbon: the book everyone owns and nobody's read."

Tons of people have read it. I mean, there's a twenty page sex scene involving Jimi Hendrix in the middle -- that's guaranteed to get eyeballs on the page.

message 29: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments Maybe this could be a V. Fantasy crossover.

message 30: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Re: Altered Carbon I did in fact read it, if the whole book had been like the first couple chapters Id be rereading it.

message 31: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I actually like Hamilton, despite his portrayal of women. Morgan's great because he doesn't pull any punches. The violence in his novels is harsh and realistic. It exacts an emotional price on the good guys as well as the bad. The women in his novels are complex and varied. I really want a new SF novel from him.

message 32: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 490 comments Walter wrote: "Altered Carbon: the book everyone owns and nobody's read."

I've read it twice, and am up for a third :)

message 33: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments Well, there are three Takeshi novels, Sandi.

message 34: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Yeah, I just keep picking up the new shinies instead.

message 35: by Casey (new)

Casey | 654 comments Wait a sec... bee guns?
This may require me to alter my vote.

message 36: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments Bee guns, man. Bee. Guns.
Also, one of the most widely read short stories, spec fic or not, ever written, "There Will Come Soft Rains." Cmon, folks, it's worth the price of admission alone. When have I steered you wrong?

Bradbury, for the win!

message 37: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments Walter wrote: "Altered Carbon: the book everyone owns and nobody's read."

I've read it. It was a pick for another group last year :)

message 38: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matthewdl) | 341 comments P. Aaron wrote: "Bee guns, man. Bee. Guns."

I'm sold.

I love Bradbury but somehow I've never picked up the Martian Chronicles. I've read There Will Come Soft Rains though and it's one of my favorite short stories ever.

message 39: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments Walter wrote: "Altered Carbon: the book everyone owns and nobody's read."

Altered Carbon: the book that's been up for poll multiple times (and lost each time)

message 40: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments terpkristin wrote: "Walter wrote: "Altered Carbon: the book everyone owns and nobody's read."

Altered Carbon: the book that's been up for poll multiple times (and lost each time)"

Well, it's in the lead this time. Even without the extra people that voted for it as a write in.

message 41: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments Tom just needs to total up the votes for all entries of the same name.

message 42: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6785 comments Mod
AndrewP wrote: "Tom just needs to total up the votes for all entries of the same name."

Personally I think anyone that votes for the write ins instead of the main one should forfeit their vote on the principle that this is a book club and it's just sad. ^_^

message 43: by Dustin (new)

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments AndrewP wrote: "Tom just needs to total up the votes for all entries of the same name."

I think the write-ins should be subracted from the main vote.

message 44: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments The idiots who put in the additional write ins probably had that intention. Confuse the issue and dilute the votes just because they didn't want to read Altered Carbon.

message 45: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 588 comments Seems to me the write in option shouldn't even be allowed. Isn't it nice enough we get like 5 to pick from this month for a change? Once everyone starts adding their own ideas the list will end up just being long. Though I do find it kinda funny that right now there is a write in that has 0 votes. Who ever wrote it in didn't even bother voting for it :P.

message 46: by Andy (new)

Andy (andy_m) | 311 comments Only 4 days left!

(Lets be honest, I just wanted to bump this so that it did not fall off the front page)

message 47: by Keidy (last edited Feb 12, 2014 09:12AM) (new)

Keidy | 525 comments Looks like Altered Carbon is still in the lead. It took some warming up but I'm pretty excited about that. I've never heard of the title until now and I love cyberpunk in videogames and movies, so this book should be a hit for me. ^_^

message 48: by Sean Lookielook (last edited Feb 12, 2014 12:33PM) (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 431 comments It seems Scalzi has unofficially cast his vote for The Martian in case anyone wants to change their mind:
http://whatever.scalzi.com/2014/02/11...

message 49: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 833 comments Not really; Scalzi has a Big Idea series, and this was an entry in it. Judging from the opening paragraph, he probably hasn't read the book.

message 50: by Sean Lookielook (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 431 comments Serendi wrote: "Not really; Scalzi has a Big Idea series, and this was an entry in it. Judging from the opening paragraph, he probably hasn't read the book."

I know. I was just failing at being funny again. I wanted to link to the post in case anyone missed it, and because of all the positive comments at the bottom. And to bump the thread - people need to vote or the dictatorship wins!

« previous 1