Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Group Book Discussion > Feb/March 2014 - The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Please post your comments in regard to this book in this thread.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) finished this recently-I will look forward to discussions!! I was skeptical because I always seem disappointed with books that have been overly recommended to me, but this did not disappoint, I loved it!

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1391 comments What a fantastic read. I didn't always like what was happening, but I was always hooked to finding out.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Linda-exactly!! I real page turner & very visual for me….

message 5: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments This book really captured my heart. I absolutely loved it.

What struck you most?

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1391 comments I think the variety of areas in which the author would need some expertise.

Theodore was really a good kid, but he got caught with a bunch of people whose main concern was themselves. I don't understand that type of thinking (the hedonistic selfishness). I think Theodore was looking for some place to belong and never did.

message 7: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Still waiting on the "hold" at the library...

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1391 comments LynnB wrote: "Still waiting on the "hold" at the library..."

Lynn, I won a copy after I read my library's copy. Maybe I should send it to you and when you're done you could send it back to me.

message 9: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Linda wrote: "Lynn, I won a copy after I read my library's copy. Maybe I should send it to you and when you're done you could send it back to me."

That would be great, but I hate to put you to work mailing it to me. Let me check around with my local reader friends to see if anyone has it (I haven't done that yet) and then I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer!!

message 10: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I just read that The Goldfinch won the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1391 comments LynnB wrote: "I just read that The Goldfinch won the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction."

Hmmmmm, my experience has generally been that I've read a book that has won a major prize I end up wondering, "Why!?" I don't see it. Maybe I should have been reading the book before it gets the award.

I know several people who are disappointed because they felt that A Constellation of Vital Phenomena should have won.