J.D. Robb discussion

Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
This topic is about Witness in Death
Archive - In Death Buddy Reads > Buddy Read - Witness In Death (Feb. 2014) SPOILER ZONE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10206 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for Witness In Death. Many of us have decided to take a slow stroll back through the series. We all have other books to read, so no hurry. Please join us if you want to do a reread, are new to the series, or just want to jump in our discussions.

Please note: Spoiler Alert...we will be openly discussing this book.

For whenever you all are ready...

Michelle | 2274 comments Lol:D think I'll start soon

I think I'll continue with the audios with this series. I'll start in a few days.

Michelle | 2274 comments That's an idea. I'm flying to Perth Thursday, maybe I'll try audiobook in flight

That's so exciting, Michelle! Hope your tour is going as good as you hoped...I'm sure it is.

Michelle | 2274 comments It was. I been home for a week. Now getting ready to do a small concert in Perth. Feel so silly. I'm only going to be there for so 3 days

It's still an adventure! I envy you. What a great way to travel, visit & enjoy other cultures, all while working! It's great.

Teri Woolley I'm doing the audio books and just started this one. I'll TRY to slow down but it's so hard lol!

I know what you mean, Teri! I've got the audio for this one and will start it this afternoon as I have a long drive and it'll help pass the time.

Michelle | 2274 comments yippee Sandra has found another use for the audiobooks!!!
No sorry Sandra i know what you meant when you had problems with the audiobooks. I had to adjust in the beginning
Anyway I'll only be starting later in the week. but i dont mind playing catch up. how far is everyone else?

message 12: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri Woolley /sigh
Well I sort of finished the book. I just couldn't stop myself. But I'll withhold my comments until I see others are starting to comment.

LOL Michelle...yes, I'll admit that I love the audio for these books now. I just had to speed it up a bit and now it's perfect. I like getting things done while I listen! I am about 1/3 way in right now & loving it.

Teri - that's fine. It's hard to slow down when you get into these, isn't it?!

Anyone else reading this one now?

Who has finished Witness? Ready for discussions?

Gnight | 3 comments I have I love to go back and listen to Old J.D.Robb audio books

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Ready when anyone else is.

Maggie | 1452 comments I haven't even started it. Think I may skip this re-read, my pile of library books is 5 high, I really need to start making a dent in it.

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 63 comments Started, but am only 10% through. Probably won't finish until this weekend.

message 19: by Dana (last edited Feb 18, 2014 04:52AM) (new) - added it

Dana (danabritt) I'm game for discussions anytime--I finished it weeks ago, once I get started it's all over LOL! I've re-read a Nora trilogy since but I'm certain I can refresh my memory and chime in on the discussion! :D

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12972 comments Mod
This book has one of THE funniest scenes in the series. When Eve tries to put together that dinner for Roarke solo, I thought I'd die laughing, especially when she tried to sort through silverware, china and crystal.

I agree..hilarious. But I loved that she wanted to do it herself. I really enjoy Peabody & McNab's relationship in this one...and the way Eve refuses to hear anything about it!

message 22: by Ness (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ness (ness-reads) | 222 comments Hello guys!! as I already confessed withthe last buddy read I could'nt help myself amd read the next 5:) I marked everthing I wanted to share with you though:) so ready when you are:)

message 23: by Ness (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ness (ness-reads) | 222 comments I always love the interactions between Eve and the poeple in the forensic department:) especially Morse!I liked the scene where he got the rookie to get her results;)

"ah here is Finestein.Be nice" Morse murmured to Eve.
"What am I?"
" an ass-kicker"

This is also the book where they referred to Morris as Morse.

Feel free to chat away! I think most of us are ready.

message 26: by Ness (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ness (ness-reads) | 222 comments The scene where Eve plans the dinner for Roarke is beautiful!! Of course it was hilarious seeing. her planning it , especially as she got caught by Summerset. But the beginning as Roarke thought it was done to get sth from him , her reaction and how the whole thing happened..juat beautiful.. it was a huge thing for Eve to do that. It shows how much she evolved.. ah so much to be said ..

One thing that always troubled me with this story was how hard Eve interviewed Carly. Did she go too far?

message 28: by Ness (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ness (ness-reads) | 222 comments it is a good question Jonetta. I couln't decide. I can't deny thinking that I though Eve xould have made it easier und should have relied on her instincts and experience to discover whether Varly lied or not. On the other side she wanted to be absolitely sure...besides she knows what it would entitle, she was so torn up about it... I think as a cop perhaps it was unavoidable.

Thanks, Ness. I've always been on the fence about it, leaning towards Eve perhaps dragging her own baggage into the mix.

Another scene that tugged at my heart strings was when Troy Trueheart got hurt. I felt awful for Eve. It helped though when she went to buy him a gift and it wouldn't charge her. That was hilarious.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Yes, Jonetta. I love how angry she gets when Roarke does those things. She really hates spending his money or trading on his influence.

And that's just one of the things I admire about her. She's married to a billionaire but still wants to make it off of her own earnings.

message 33: by Ness (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ness (ness-reads) | 222 comments Yess Troy Trueheart( I stil can't believe his name ♡) ! when Eve talked to his mom, as she was in awe of her strength:) it is sweet thaz he has a little crush for her .

I know! Love that...it's a very respectful crush:)

message 35: by Ness (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ness (ness-reads) | 222 comments in this book there is so much talk about mothers..I wonder if we will know more about Eve's or Roarke's mother in the next books. As we see, Eve is guetting more and more memories back throughout the books, I hope we get answers soon. Do you guys wonder sometimes what awaits us in the rest of the story:)..this is my first read so I'm pretty obsessed about it:)

message 36: by Ness (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ness (ness-reads) | 222 comments Peabody and Mcnab are so lovable:) Roarke giving him advice and Eve's reaction as she found Peabody's link off duty..teehee :)

Jonetta wrote: "Another scene that tugged at my heart strings was when Troy Trueheart got hurt. I felt awful for Eve. It helped though when she went to buy him a gift and it wouldn't charge her. That was hilarious."

I had to LOL at that! It says a lot about Eve that she never caves to the pressure to spend money lavishly. Having money still bothers and embarrasses her.

Ness wrote: "in this book there is so much talk about mothers..I wonder if we will know more about Eve's or Roarke's mother in the next books. As we see, Eve is guetting more and more memories back throughout t..."

Ness, I do not want to spoil anything for you as the discoveries in future books are well worth the wait to read for yourself. All I can say is I was asking these same questions about this point in the series the first time I read it. Just one of the reasons I read the books back to back in record time:)

Sandra - *Star* wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Another scene that tugged at my heart strings was when Troy Trueheart got hurt. I felt awful for Eve. It helped though when she went to buy him a gift and it wouldn't charge her. Th..."

I wonder how I would do. I'm pretty frugal with money and fiercely independent but don't think I'd go to the lengths Eve does at times. But I also don't believe I'd go crazy spending his money either.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I agree. Thought it'd be nice. All she has to do is say her (or his) name and all the staff rush to help her. Can you imagine being able to go anywhere and get that kind of service?

No, I really can't:)

I'm afraid I would be a little like Eve. I'm just naturally frugal and refuse to overpay for anything...even if I really want it. I wouldn't feel quite as guilty as she seems to though. I think I would be okay with knowing I had it but still wouldn't abuse it.

message 43: by Ness (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ness (ness-reads) | 222 comments I love presents actually..suprises ..especially book gift cards:D

thoughtful gifts make me happy but anything pricy or not guetting to pay for stuff myself makes me uncomfortable.

Same here, Ness.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I don't know - I'd like to think I could be like Eve. But thought of never having to worry about my bank balance makes me all light-headed.

Lol! My heart goes pitter patter, too:)

message 47: by Ness (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ness (ness-reads) | 222 comments I just wondered today if Eve's reluctance for Roarkr to take care of her has another aspect. They need each other so much. perhaps she is afraid if he takes care of her in everything she could loose hersrlf.in him and their life together. I know they are lost in each other but I'm talking the bad kind here. She always needs her feet on the ground to be the person she really is. perhaps she thinks if she lets it pass one time it always will be easier and sometime in the future she will be somebody else or sth like that:)..wild thouts here:)

message 48: by Jonetta (last edited Feb 20, 2014 02:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Interesting theory....maybe so.

I've gotten the impression that it was important to her that he be clear that his fame and fortune meant absolutely nothing to her. It's her way of showing him that it's him she loves, not his things. Eve's also fiercely independent and it's more proving to herself that she still has her own identity and can take care of herself.

I think it is vital to her and their relationship that Eve continuously shows Roarke that it's not his money she loves and desires - it is the man. Plus, she's just not a "material girl"!

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 63 comments I'm about halfway done with this book. I will probably finish today (audiobook). I'm enjoying it, but it is not as compelling as previous novels. I am kindof irritated with her continuing sniping at Charles Monroe.

« previous 1