Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Non-mammal Were stories

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (last edited Feb 04, 2014 08:59AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 138 comments Can you recommend some good urban fantasies and/or PNRs where they include Were-creatures that are NOT mammals? There are plenty of stories of course about werewolves, as well as werebears, werelions, wererats, etc. etc. etc., but it seems like it's always mammals and always predators. Have you ever read any good ones about weregators or werefrogs, werehawks or wereducks, weresharks or weretrout, etc.?

message 2: by Nairabell (last edited Feb 04, 2014 11:35AM) (new)

Nairabell | 25 comments How about were-dinosaurs? Eternal Pleasure (Gods of the Night, #1) by Nina Bangs is the first in a PNR series about them.

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (brandiec) I've actually been trying to remember a story I read and loved about a shapeshifter support group meeting, which included a were-tortoise and a were-coral. Does anyone know the story I'm talking about?

message 4: by Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (last edited Feb 04, 2014 01:01PM) (new)

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 192 comments Deborah wrote: "I've actually been trying to remember a story I read and loved about a shapeshifter support group meeting, which included a were-tortoise and a were-coral. Does anyone know the story I'm talking ab..."

I think I've read this...

ETA: Could it have been in Running with the Pack by Ekaterina Sedia ?

message 5: by April (new)

April (dwndrgn) | 44 comments I read that story. It isn't in that anthology because I haven't read that one.

message 6: by April (new)

April (dwndrgn) | 44 comments Maybe Wolfsbane & Mistletoe?

message 7: by Maria (last edited Feb 04, 2014 01:55PM) (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments I know of a fantasy story with a selkie...and another story with a minor character or two where there were were-hawks in the story. And are dragons mammals? I don't think so. I can think of a few dragons that shift and I bet April can too!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 192 comments April wrote: "Maybe Wolfsbane & Mistletoe?"

Maybe, I did read that one too. It's just been awhile.

message 9: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments Vivian Arend has a couple of books with dolphins and birds, the first book is Tidal Wave (Forces of Nature, #1) by Vivian Arend , but be warned, there is a lot of sex in them.

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Carousel Tides - selkie
Dragons of Wendal - Dragon and hawk shifters

I'm going through my lists because I know there are more dragon ones. I think.

There's a UF one kind of in the back of my head that I can't tease out...

message 11: by April (new)

April (dwndrgn) | 44 comments Anonymous Rex has dinosaurs who don't really shapeshift but who pass as human.

message 12: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments Are there any shifters in Kaylana Price? I know there's a bunch of odds and ends creatures...but I don't think any actually shift to humans. It's the series I was thinking of, but I think it was just different creatures than the normal, not necessarily shifters.

message 13: by April (new)

April (dwndrgn) | 44 comments Hm. Lots of myths and legends which tend to spend time as both human and other but no specific shifters I don't think.

message 14: by April (new)

April (dwndrgn) | 44 comments There was also a weregator (of sorts) in the Kate Daniels series but that was a one-off, not a regular character.

message 15: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments April wrote: "Hm. Lots of myths and legends which tend to spend time as both human and other but no specific shifters I don't think."

That's what I concluded in thinking about the various characters. Some unique ones, but not actual shifters.

I don't think I read that Kate Daniels one. Must have been the last one.

message 16: by April (new)

April (dwndrgn) | 44 comments No, I think it was the one before that.

I can't think of any regular UF characters that are not mammals if they shift.

What I've always wanted to see is a shifting familiar. A nice lizard who can also turn into a mouse. Always thought it would be quite handy in different situations. Get on that, will you Maria?

message 17: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 299 comments April wrote: "No, I think it was the one before that.

What I've always wanted to see is a shifting familiar. A nice lizard who ca..."

I'm into gargoyles at the moment...

I actually know of a book where a dog shifts to many different breeds of dogs, but the mystery was lame. I just reviewed it on the blog. The book isn't out yet and it is paranormal.

You do have a point though. It would be cool to have a familiar who can shift. Frank Tuttle has a familiar in All the Paths of Shadows--it's a houseplant. But it doesn't shift. It has 12 eyes though.

message 18: by Mary (last edited Feb 04, 2014 07:00PM) (new)

Mary Catelli | 93 comments Draw One in the Dark by Sarah A. Hoyt. It has both insect and dragon shifters. (Along with some mammalian ones.)

Also its sequels, of course.

message 19: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 150 comments a dragon shifter, but forewarned,quite bloodthirsty The Dragon Delasangre

message 20: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah The Painted Boy by Charles de Lint the lead changes into a Dragon. In De Lint's Wildling series there are all kinds of Shapeshifters ( he calls them Wildlings not Weres) the first two are:
Under My Skin and Over My Head. His mythology is based on a Native American "Animal People".

message 21: by April (new)

April (dwndrgn) | 44 comments Maria wrote: "April wrote: "No, I think it was the one before that.

What I've always wanted to see is a shifting familiar. A nice..."

So where's my pocket-sized shape-shifting gargoyle familiar? Hm?

message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 93 comments April wrote: "So where's my pocket-sized shape-shifting gargoyle familiar? Hm? "

Patiently waiting for the day you sit down at the terminal, to write said familiar.

message 23: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (brandiec) Yippee! I figured out the name of the story I was trying to remember. It's "Shapeshifters Anonymous," by J.A. Konrath, and it's currently free for Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Shapeshifters-A...

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 330 comments Just found this for free on Amazon, no idea if it will be good or not. 4.5 stars on over 60 reviews:
A Legacy of Light by Daniel Arenson

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 330 comments Deborah wrote: "Yippee! I figured out the name of the story I was trying to remember. It's "Shapeshifters Anonymous," by J.A. Konrath, and it's currently free for Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Shapeshifters-Ano..."

Yes! I have read that!