Flights of Fantasy discussion

Books & Discussions > New Adobe DRM: Are you moving to Kindle?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments As everyone knows, I'm not the biggest fan of Kindles. They are nice and shiny BUT I hate the way Amazon works...

...And then today I learn that Adobe has decided to make a new DRM. I really trust the source as I "know" Nate and he's very thorough:

Adobe to Require New Epub DRM in July, Expects to Abandon Existing Users

At that time I didn’t think Adobe would make the mistake of cutting off so many existing readers, but now it seems that I could not have been more wrong on the issue.

The following video (found via The SF Reader) confirms that Adobe is planning to require that everyone (ebookstores, app and device makers) to upgrade to the new DRM by July 2014.

SNIP

This means that any app or device which still uses the older Adobe DRM will be cut off. Luckily for many users, that penalty probably will not affect readers who use Kobo or Google reading apps or devices; to the best of my knowledge neither uses the Adobe DRM internally. And of course Kindle and Apple customers won’t even notice, thanks to those companies’ wise decision to use their own DRM.

SNIP

If you’re using Adobe DE 2.1, come July you won’t be able to read any newly downloaded DRMed ebooks until after you upgrade to Adobe DE 3.0. If you’re using a preferred 3rd-party reading app, you won’t be able to download any new DRMed ebooks until after the app developer releases an update.

And if you’re using an existing ebook reader, you’d better plan on only reading DRM-free ebooks until further notice.

SNIP

Read the rest here: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/201...

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Interesting...

message 3: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 4 comments So, who does this impact? The People of the Nook?

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Gregor wrote: "So, who does this impact? The People of the Nook?"

They aren't sure about Nook - with partial sale to MS and B&Ns issues...it could go either way with Nook.

But outside of the US are scheduled to have problems; people with the older Sony Readers; indie bookstores.

They aren't 100% sure with Kobo, either. Kobo was sold to a Japanese company, I think. They use a variation of the Adobe Adept but they also have their own "kepub." So, like nook the Kobo could go either way but most assume that Kobo will be fine (for apps, at least).

My mom's Kobo (first gen) will be done but I already upgraded her to a Nook HD so I just need to make sure she only uses the kobo for reading with wifi off. And that she makes no new purchases.

Basically everyone that's not Apple and Amazon.

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nicki wrote: "This move doesn't surprise me at all. I have never understood why folk who consider Amazon the devil for their DRM practices have been so trusting of Adobe. The article makes a good point -- a comp..."

I thnk my problem with Amazon was the inability to cross read and their whole draconian 1982 thing.

But damn...this is distressing.

message 6: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 2023 comments I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "cross read"?

We have the Kindle app on all of our tablets - Nook Hd, Nexus and iPad. We can all read something different, or sync a single book across all of them (provided the apps are linked to one account).

message 7: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments MrsJoseph (taking back my data & giving GR the middle finger) wrote: "And if you’re using an existing ebook reader, you’d better plan on only reading DRM-free ebooks until further notice..."

Meaning my only option at that point becomes piracy?

Cool.

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nyssa wrote: "I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "cross read"?

We have the Kindle app on all of our tablets - Nook Hd, Nexus and iPad. We can all read something different, or sync a single book across..."

Being able to read my book on any reader I see fit.

With Amazon you have to use Amazon's app - I like Marvin: http://marvinapp.com

I can pull books from my dropbox at any time. I haven't learned how to pull from Calibre but I've been told its simple.

Kobo's infestation has been much easier to remove than Amazons - so all my Kobo books are bug free and able to be read via anything.

Also, I don't use wi-fi on my reader, I side load via Calibre only.

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Chris wrote: "Meaning my only option at that point becomes piracy?

Cool. "

Pretty much what it seems to be getting at, lol.

Only, I don't know if Adobe meant for everyone to jump ship...I think they think they are cool...

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Also in other "Adobe Fucks People Over" news, I heard all their new Photoshop and Photoshop packages will only be available via a monthly subscription and download - meaning you'll never stop paying for photoshop.

I can see a new developer coming out and routing Adobe soon...

message 11: by Christa (new)

Christa (christaw) MrsJoseph (taking back my data & giving GR the middle finger) wrote: "Also in other "Adobe Fucks People Over" news, I heard all their new Photoshop and Photoshop packages will only be available via a monthly subscription and download - meaning you'll never stop payin..."

This is why I'm still using CS2. When they unleashed it from the authentication servers, I decided then and there, even if I started freelancing again (which is why I had gotten as far as CS2 in the first place), that I would not upgrade from CS2 because they were unlikely to make such a sensible decision twice.

Sometimes I don't like being right.

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) MrsJoseph (taking back my data & giving GR the middle finger) wrote: "Also in other "Adobe Fucks People Over" news, I heard all their new Photoshop and Photoshop packages will only be available via a monthly subscription and download - meaning you'll never stop payin..."

O_O

message 13: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Christa wrote: "This is why I'm still using CS2. When they unleashed it from the authentication servers, I decided then and there, even if I started freelancing again (which is why I had gotten as far as CS2 in the first place), that I would not upgrade from CS2 because they were unlikely to make such a sensible decision twice.

Sometimes I don't like being right. "

And in "MrsJ being an idiot" news...I had a copy of
CS3 or 4 as a CD-rom on discount when I was still in art school.

Where that software is now??? Only the God of Lost Things shall know...

message 14: by Christa (new)

Christa (christaw) MrsJoseph (taking back my data & giving GR the middle finger) wrote: "And in "MrsJ being an idiot" news...I had a copy of

Where that software is now??? Only the God of Lost Things shall know... "

I'm sending you a PM that might make you feel better. Or not, but still.

message 15: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Christa wrote: "MrsJoseph (taking back my data & giving GR the middle finger) wrote: "And in "MrsJ being an idiot" news...I had a copy of

Where th..."

oooh!!

message 16: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Randolph wrote: "Which is why any DRM is stupid. "

Agreed

message 17: by Christa (new)

Christa (christaw) Update from Nate - Adobe revises statement, will no longer force a timeline on retailers, will not be breaking ereaders in July

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/201...

message 18: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Yaaay. (that's sarcasm)