Burke 2H discussion

Semiotics: Popular Culture

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Tinius (katinius) | 11 comments Mod
What cultural practice, development or object will you choose to analyze, and Why? After answering this in a few sentences (short paragraph), respond to a classmate's post as well in 2-3 sentences (give advice or direction, offer compliments, or ask questions).

message 2: by Celine (new)

Celine Chen | 12 comments Celine Chen #4 
Period 1 
I have chosen to analyze the common women's shoulder bag with a long, thin strap and a boxy shaped purse. Almost everywhere I go, I always see teenage girls carrying this sort of bag that it has become such a trend. Seeing many with this, I have wondered how other girls can possibly carry their essentials in such a tiny area. I believe that this small fashion choice holds a message about today's society. Since girls usually put items such as makeup, their cell phone and other objects, I can assume that people have began to ignore bare necessities such as water. In other words, I have chosen to write about these purses to answer my own questions about them.

message 3: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Chen | 12 comments Jerry Chen, 5
Period 1

Over the years of technological improvements, automobiles have changed drastically. The new development of automobiles are no longer focused on having the biggest trunk or having the most space, but on safety and efficiency, fulfilling the modern society's expectations. The shift on the emphasis of safety and efficiency always made me ponder why did car makers these day focus on such topics when in the past, they cared nothing of safety but of speed and American muscle V8's. Thus, I want to find out whether or not did society had an impact on the way automobiles are made today or did technological advances forced cars to have a standard airbag system and the least fuel consumption by a vehicle. Things don't just change involuntarily, something must have influenced the car makers' outlooks in producing a safer, more efficient car than their competitors. Analyzing how cars have become more modernized, I am curious to find out such transformation from the past automobiles.

message 4: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Chen | 12 comments Celine wrote: "Celine Chen #4 
Period 1 
I have chosen to analyze the common women's shoulder bag with a long, thin strap and a boxy shaped purse. Almost everywhere I go, I always see teenage girls carrying this ..."

Although I know nothing about girl's handbags, but it is true that teenage girls have switched in fashion. Fashion, filled infinite ideas of countless designs, may be the cause to why more girls are switching to smaller hang bags.

message 5: by Michelle (last edited Feb 04, 2014 03:58PM) (new)

Michelle | 12 comments Michelle Yan #29
English Period 1
The image of a "perfect body" has increasingly been portrayed by media. In most advertisements, males and females alike are always gorgeous with flawless skin and have abs with fat distributed in an aesthetically pleasing way. Many females have been pressured by society into dieting and feel unsatisfied with how they physically look. I chose to analyze this cultural practice because of the number of young girls who have low self esteem and eating disorders.

message 6: by Celine (new)

Celine Chen | 12 comments Jerry wrote: "Jerry Chen, 5
Period 1

Over the years of technological improvements, automobiles have changed drastically. The new development of automobiles are no longer focused on having the biggest trunk or h..."

I really like how you compared past models to modern day ones and from there, began to question the new importance on safety and efficiency. Great job!

message 7: by Fernanda (new)

Fernanda Sandoval | 10 comments Fernanda Sandoval
#25 Period 1

I have decided to analyze our cultural practice of social media. As the years have progressed and the technology has advanced, we have found the internet as a necessity, not only for looking up information for school, other countries, or information not accessible, but for putting up the status of our relationship or the food we are eating at the moment. I chose to analyze this cultural development because of how integrated it is into each of our lives.

message 8: by Fernanda (new)

Fernanda Sandoval | 10 comments Michelle wrote: "Michelle Yan #29
English Period 1
The image of a "perfect body" has increasingly been portrayed by media. In most advertisements, males and females alike are always gorgeous with flawless skin and ..."

I think this a great topic to speak about. Many girls have taken drastic measures to fit society's "perfect body." I suggest comparing our era with the era in which curves were seen as the "must-haves" (the 50s), and how it has changed over the years.

WildTurtle (Sam Yu) | 12 comments Samantha Yu #32
Period 1

A Kindle or any other type of e-book/e-reader is an example of a cultural object. Developments in technology have changed the cultural values of a traditional book to something that can contain tons of books in a single tablet and can be held in one hand. A thick hard-cover or paperback book is a dying trend and is being replaced by a sleek thin reader. I chose this cultural object because I personally still enjoy reading from an actual book even though e-books can be very handy and convenient.

WildTurtle (Sam Yu) | 12 comments Celine wrote: "Celine Chen #4 
Period 1 
I have chosen to analyze the common women's shoulder bag with a long, thin strap and a boxy shaped purse. Almost everywhere I go, I always see teenage girls carrying this ..."

I always wondered how girls can keep all their essentials and school work in that one tiny purse, so I completely see why it might be confusing to understand why this trend is so popular.

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Rodriguez | 11 comments Jonathan Rodriguez #24
Per. 1
I have chosen to analyze the cultural practice of stereotyping someone because of the clothing they wear. Clothes surround our daily lives. Whether you believe that you are influenced by them or not, clothes affect many of the decisions that we make. People judge each other subconsciously when they look at the type of clothing others are wearing. For example, if someone saw a stranger walk down the streets with dirty and ragged clothing, he or she would most likely assume that the stranger is homeless or poor. Even though society attempts to not stereotype, it continues to do so automatically. The problem of stereotyping lies within the individual, not society, and is nearly impossible to change one’s mind from unconsciously making assumptions about others. I chose to write about stereotyping due to clothing, because it budded in the middle of our class discussions on different hairstyles being stereotyped. In addition, this made me think of other ways society tends to stereotype each other. The other most relevant feature of a person to judge, aside from haircuts, is their clothing. This is a problem that I have seen and wished to be solved, and that is why I chose this topic.

message 12: by Alyn (new)

Alyn (chocolattereader) | 12 comments Adelynne Chang #1
Period 1

I chose to analyze the use of e-readers rather than books. I chose this because I hate using an e-reader. People nowadays all use them because they're convenient but honestly, it's not much of a difference. When people go on vacation, they usually spend more time going sight-seeing rather than staying cooped up in a room reading a book. Many people also think that e-books are less expensive, and it's true. However, it's nothing compared to holding the actual book. It's mostly just hard for me to understand why people like using e-readers so much- which is why I chose this technological development.

message 13: by Alyn (new)

Alyn (chocolattereader) | 12 comments Jonathan wrote: "Jonathan Rodriguez #24
Per. 1
I have chosen to analyze the cultural practice of stereotyping someone because of the clothing they wear. Clothes surround our daily lives. Whether you believe that ..."

Clothes really are a big influence on perception. It would be really hard to change people's stereotypes on clothing (or physical appearance), but I think it's possible. Clothing is a really great subject to analyze.

message 14: by Eric (last edited Feb 04, 2014 08:06PM) (new)

Eric Chong | 12 comments Eric Chong #6
Period 1
After the recent introduction of the iphone 5, everyone have been carrying this type of technological advancement everywhere they go. When people go out to dinner, they usually carry this piece of contraption around with them so they can still chat with their friends away from home, or also browse the internet without the use of a computer. When people go on vacations, they use the iphone to take photos of marvelous places. So as a result, the iphone has become a trend that everyone wants for the past year, and will continue to grow as the apps and uses for the iphone also grows. For this reason is the reason why I am analyzing the iphone.

message 15: by Eric (last edited Feb 04, 2014 08:04PM) (new)

Eric Chong | 12 comments WildTurtle (Sam Yu) wrote: "Samantha Yu #32
Period 1

A Kindle or any other type of e-book/e-reader is an example of a cultural object. Developments in technology have changed the cultural values of a traditional book to some..."

I had also noticed that the use of e-readers had increased over the past year. This shows that out society is becoming more reliant on technology rather than using the actual book. With the improvement of technology, the use of books will decline, while the new e-reader will become more prominently used.

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol Li | 10 comments Carol Li #16
Pd.1
I have decided to analyze the cultural practice of going to a coffee shop (like Starbucks) to study and do homework. In past generations, coffee shops were more directed to the elders, or adults. Business men and women would meet there to discuss projects, proposals, etc.; college students gather there to work on papers or study for exams. Now, we see more high school students migrating from their comfort zones at home into a more public place. Why we (high school students) tend to do this is a mystery (besides the obvious point of the coffee). I chose this cultural practice because I want to understand why we choose to work in coffee shops over the comfort of our own homes.

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol Li | 10 comments WildTurtle (Sam Yu) wrote: "Samantha Yu #32
Period 1

A Kindle or any other type of e-book/e-reader is an example of a cultural object. Developments in technology have changed the cultural values of a traditional book to some..."

I completely understand where you're coming from. I personally also prefer to read paperback books than from a bright screen. E-books may be more convenient but they don't deliver the same feeling as real books with pages you physically turn yourself. It really is a dying trend and I look forward to seeing what you discover.
Carol Li #16
Pd.1

message 18: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Tieu | 12 comments Vivian Tieu Period 1 #28
I have decided to analyze the cultural practice of watching a movie for the actors and actresses rather than for the story line of the movie. Nowadays, people are no longer attracted to the script of the movie because all they care about are how "hot" the actor and actress are. I believe that a majority of the younger community in our society wouldn't even watch a movie if no one in the film was attractive. This shows how our society is so easily entertained to the point that it's kind of sad; so this is why I decided to choose this cultural practice.

message 19: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Tieu | 12 comments Adelynne wrote: "Adelynne Chang #1
Period 1

I chose to analyze the use of e-readers rather than books. I chose this because I hate using an e-reader. People nowadays all use them because they're convenient but hon..."

I totally agree with you. People don't really need an e-reader; I think it's just a waste a time and the experience you have a with a book is completely different.

message 20: by Austin (new)

Austin Si | 12 comments Austin Si Period 1 #27
I going to analyze the cultural practice of using Snapchat. Almost everywhere in school, I see people snapchatting. The premise is pretty cool; take a picture or video and send a message with it. Despite the ability to send a picture of anything around them, most users just take embarrassing selfies. Maybe it reflects how many teenagers think that the world revolves around them, or maybe Snapchat becomes an outlet for people to just let down their barriers because of the fleeting nature of the messages. I'll be looking further into it.

message 21: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kwang | 7 comments Andrew Kwang
Period 1

I chose to analyze the cultural practice of people beginning to use short-form text messaging into everyday speech. Computers and instant-messaging have become so ubiquitous that it almost has become crucial for survival in our everyday life. Thus, so has the language of text-messaging. Phrases such as "lol", "rofl", "tfti", "idk", and others have become integrated into our language more and more, becoming more closely knit into everyday speech. I feel that such a change in our language shows something about our generation and overall life, our reliance on technology and our labor-saving desires.

message 22: by Austin (new)

Austin Si | 12 comments Kelsey wrote: "I have chosen to analyze the cultural practice of the transition from backpacks to long strapped handbags in school. Previously, people associated school with backpacks because students needed a co..."

Wouldn't that be a cultural development because it's changing from one thing to another? Maybe the development is because most high school students want fashion over function. A lot of people just get caught up in trying to look fashionable and are willing to sacrifice utility for that. Maybe you'll want to go in that direction with your analysis.
Austin Si Period 1 #27

message 23: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kwang | 7 comments Austin wrote: "Austin Si Period 1 #27
I going to analyze the cultural practice of using Snapchat. Almost everywhere in school, I see people snapchatting. The premise is pretty cool; take a picture or video and se..."

Personally, I like the idea of using a software as a symbol as to how a culture has changed. Although my parents do not let me have a smartphone or any cellular device at all, I can understand how people like to take selfies to show that they feel they have the need to be important in the world in which they blend in.

message 24: by Riley (new)

Riley Herms Riley Herms #9
Per: 1

I have decided to analyze the topic of crop tops. Over the years, it seems that teenage girls' shirts have gradually become shorter and shorter. Although many people do not feel comfortable with wearing an article of clothing that bares their midriff, a large amount of young women, usually the majority being high schoolers, like to reveal their stomachs very often. Granted, I too occasionally wear crop tops but I have realized that many girls, at our school at least, choose to take the less modest route when it comes to fashion and body confidence.

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 12 comments Celine wrote: "Celine Chen #4
Period 1

I think the bag is trending which is why most teenage girls wear it. The bag I use is small and rectangular and I always struggle to fit all my things in there. I never really thought about why I don't switch to a bigger one, and I guess it's because I just like the way it looks.

message 26: by Doris (new)

Doris Li | 12 comments Doris Li #17
Period 1
I would like to analyze the cultural practice of advertisements. We are surrounded by ads everywhere; we see them on television, on billboards, and on the Internet. Advertisements affect our daily lives, whether or not we notice their impact on our everyday decisions. They are built to appeal to the senses and act as persuasion factors. The psychological and scientific factors behind advertisements fascinate me. There's definitely more to an ad than meets the eye.

message 27: by Doris (last edited Feb 04, 2014 10:20PM) (new)

Doris Li | 12 comments Carol wrote: "Carol Li #16
Pd.1
I have decided to analyze the cultural practice of going to a coffee shop (like Starbucks) to study and do homework. In past generations, coffee shops were more directed to the el..."

Doris Li #17
Period 1
I think that as a society we're becoming increasingly social, with technological advances that allow us to communicate with others at the touch of a button. Because we connect with so many people on a daily basis, we begin to crave companionship more and more. One of the purposes of a café is to provide a comfortable working environment without sacrificing the desire to be with others. People turn to these types of places to study because they are more welcoming than empty rooms.

message 28: by Riley (new)

Riley Herms Andrew wrote: "Andrew Kwang
Period 1

I chose to analyze the cultural practice of people beginning to use short-form text messaging into everyday speech. Computers and instant-messaging have become so ubiquit..."

I completely agree with you. I think the laziness of our generation is getting way out of hand. We can't even speak in full sentences anymore! Honestly, I've caught myself saying "lol" a few times. I've never thought deeply enough about this subject to understand how annoying it must get for older generations to hear us teenagers use our slang words regularly.

message 29: by Edmund (new)

Edmund Tang | 14 comments Edmund Tang #24
Period 3

I chose culture practice of sports. People who watch football in particular. Our culture when watching sports is to be lazy on the couch with junk food. We would have chips, soda, pizza, and a bunch of other food and watch the game with friends and family. Watching a football without these condiments would not make the game as enjoyable as it could be.

message 30: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Coscolluela | 10 comments I have chosen to analyze the cultural development of the male hair style: the comb over. Previously, the combover was a hair style worn by middle to older aged men who wanted to cover their loss of hair. Now a days, the combover is worn by many teens, twenty year olds, even thirty to forty years olds as a fashionable hair style. My own personal interest (and attraction to this hairstyle) has inclined me to choose this cultural development.

message 31: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Coscolluela | 10 comments For previous comment..^^^
Caitlin Coscolluela #10
Period 3

message 32: by Paul (new)

Paul Chang | 12 comments Paul Chang #4
Period 3
As technology develops, devices such as smartphones are becoming more and more apparent in our society and making a bigger impact in our way of life. For this reason, I chose the smartphone as the cultural object I would like to analyze. Smartphones have almost become a neccessity in our lives and the ones without are not the ones standing out. With such a big influence on society, I think it would be very important to analyze how smartphones affect us.

message 33: by Edmund (new)

Edmund Tang | 14 comments Doris wrote: "Doris Li #17
Period 1
I would like to analyze the cultural practice of advertisements. We are surrounded by ads everywhere; we see them on television, on billboards, and on the Internet. Advertisem..."

I agree with you Doris. Advertisements are everywhere and persuasive. Because they are so persuasive, it effects our daily lives. For example, all those pesi commercials at the super bowl and ones about beer encourages so many people to drink those brands

message 34: by Edmund (new)

Edmund Tang | 14 comments Paul wrote: "Paul Chang #4
Period 3
As technology develops, devices such as smartphones are becoming more and more apparent in our society and making a bigger impact in our way of life. For this reason, I chose..."

Technology is taking over society. People are getting more dependent on technolgy not only or education but for gaming purposes. I think this overuse of technology is hatming us and causing many distraction.

message 35: by Paul (new)

Paul Chang | 12 comments Edmund wrote: "Edmund Tang #24
Period 3

I chose culture practice of sports. People who watch football in particular. Our culture when watching sports is to be lazy on the couch with junk food. We would have chip..."

I agree with you. Culture has changed due to the influence of sports, it is now the norm to watch professionals play the sports instead of playing them yourself. I think it would be interesting to analyze how the practice of watching sports has affected society. 

message 36: by Maxwell (last edited Feb 05, 2014 11:49AM) (new)

Maxwell Zhu | 12 comments I decided to choose the Super Bowl as my cultural practice given the fact that the Super Bowl is so revered in American culture that in many areas it is celebrated as if it were a holiday. This traditional sports event has changed so that it is not only a sportive, but also a patriotic event. It also ties in with our previous reading of Fridman's article in that the Super Bowl reinforces America's obsession with physical prowess (football is one of the most dangerous and physique-intensive sports there is) and the idea that America is a warrior society.

Maxwell Zhu #33
Per. 1

message 37: by Maxwell (new)

Maxwell Zhu | 12 comments Fernanda wrote: "Fernanda Sandoval
#25 Period 1

I have decided to analyze our cultural practice of social media. As the years have progressed and the technology has advanced, we have found the internet as a necess..."

I agree with your belief that social media, despite being a relative newcomer in the field of communication, has an enormous impact on our daily lives. However, I believe that social media should be narrowed into a more specific topic given the fact that social media is so diverse and has so many platforms that it is difficult to stereotype or summarize all of them into one.

Maxwell Zhu #33
Per. 1

message 38: by Kevin (last edited Feb 05, 2014 02:17PM) (new)

Kevin Chang | 11 comments I have chose to analyze why our society today looks more on the surface of individuals and not more into the deeper inside part of them. A great example would be cars, the question being why do we have to have the best loking car out there? Having a great looking car not only mean portrays that you are the rich person around town, but also it also means you usually get a hot girlfriend. Most of my friends think that having a grat car is suiperior than having a great house but I think the oppositely. Why does out society judge so abruptly and without consideration of who the person truly is? There can be a really rich guy that drives a Ferrari but he can be very stingy and mean. this had driven lots of people to spend excess money on this area and it has changed our culture to look at this with more attention.

Kevin Chang #2
Period 1

message 39: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Chang | 11 comments Jerry wrote: "Jerry Chen, 5
Period 1

Over the years of technological improvements, automobiles have changed drastically. The new development of automobiles are no longer focused on having the biggest trunk or h..."

Jerry, I think that this is all very true in today's society but we have also gotten into popularizing electric cars in the past few years. Electric cars have little power under the hoods yea but then they are lighter and use less materials to make it ligter and therfore make it more fuel efficient. This leads to safety concerns so every up has its own down I guess. The change to this type of industry must have been the economy going down and the rise of gas prices so everyone wants to have a more fuel efficient car.

message 40: by Amir (new)

Amir S | 13 comments Amir Sotoodeh, #22
Period 3
Our modern day society is entered in a technology race with many other countries around the world. The United States has entered a state of innovation, seeking constant improvement in technology used by the people. From cell phones to laptops, new devices and contraptions are build to make our everyday lives more convenient. For my cultural object, I chose to analyze the laptop. Personally, I find the laptop a very unique object to analyze because it derives from the other form of computers; desktops. Laptops have been known as a portable computer, and are constantly getting much smaller and more efficient. There are many things to analyze, such as the weight, brand, and even size. I believe this is a great object to analyze because of the inventor's intention to create a portable computer.

message 41: by Amir (new)

Amir S | 13 comments Austin wrote: "Austin Si Period 1 #27
I going to analyze the cultural practice of using Snapchat. Almost everywhere in school, I see people snapchatting. The premise is pretty cool; take a picture or video and se..."

I love how you decided to take a more modern approach that's a common trend today. Like you said, Snapchat is pretty much everywhere in school, and it could be an interesting topic to analyze due to it's overrated use. Personally, I do not use Snapchat, nor do I intend to, but I think you chose a very interesting topic to analyze.

message 42: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Kao | 12 comments Tiffany Kao #12
Period 1
Technology has advanced quickly throughout the past few years, making life more convenient. I have chose to analyze the iPad as a cultural object. iPads are becoming more popular. They are able to perform many functions that people choose to have one. I often see people using one, whether it is to play games or do research for homework. It is smaller and easier to carry around compared to a laptop, and they are able to perform similar functions to it too. The amount of people using this device is growing, so I think this object will be interesting to analyze.

message 43: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Kao | 12 comments Vivian wrote: "Vivian Tieu Period 1 #28
I have decided to analyze the cultural practice of watching a movie for the actors and actresses rather than for the story line of the movie. Nowadays, people are no longer..."

I completely agree with you. Sometimes when I hear people talking about movies, they would say how hot the actor or actress was in the trailer. I think the looks of the people in the movies play a big part in the decision to watch it.

message 44: by Amaris (new)

Amaris Solano | 4 comments One of the many cultural advancements that is becoming very popular and even a necessity to some is social media. Social media was intended for people to remain in contact with others, socialize, share pictures, but not to hurt others. Now some people abuse the beauty and convenience of social media to spread hurtful words or even images of others. Cyber bullying is becoming increasingly popular. I chose to analyze this popular cultural advancement because it is one that most people should become more aware of and help prevent it from occurring.

Amaris Solano
Period 3

message 45: by Dillon (last edited Feb 05, 2014 05:20PM) (new)

Dillon Kim | 12 comments As our society has developed, there has been a need to obtain innovative devices. For my cultural object, I have chosen to analyze the iPhone. Found in almost every pocket, this device has been heralded as one of the greatest inventions of our time. Year after year there has been a new model of the iPhone and although the iPhone only changes a minuscule amount, many choose to wait in long lines to be the first ones to purchase it. As society pressures people to blend in the crowd, I believe that social pressures have forced people to become uniform, causing a loss in individual distinctiveness.

Dillon Kim 13
Period 1

message 46: by Dillon (last edited Feb 05, 2014 05:29PM) (new)

Dillon Kim | 12 comments Amir wrote: "Amir Sotoodeh, #22
Period 3
Our modern day society is entered in a technology race with many other countries around the world. The United States has entered a state of innovation, seeking constant..."

I love how you showed that as society develops, there has been a need to make things more efficient. While new technologies are developed, the average mind of an American believes that life should be easier. It will be interesting to see how you will be able to show the needs of a 21st century mind set through the convenience of laptops.

Dillon Kim 13
Period 1

message 47: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Coscolluela | 10 comments Austin wrote: "Austin Si Period 1 #27

I AGREE! Just at our table alone, I see people snap chatting each other instead of having a conversation with one another. Although I understand the appeal and amusement of snap chat, I do not see the point of sending someone a selfie with a witty comment, if you're sitting right next to them.

Caitlin Coscolluela #10
Period 3

message 48: by Elaine (last edited Feb 05, 2014 05:51PM) (new)

Elaine | 12 comments Elaine Sun #23
Period 3

I have decided to analyze the cultural practice of purchasing a certain brand of an item. From buying different shoe brands to buying different water brands; everyone has their preferences. It's funny to see how people, subconsciously or consciously, have a natural inclination towards a brand. For example, people would buy Fiji water because it is from an
"extraordinary source- a protected artesian aquifer found deep underground in the remote Fiji islands...untouched until you unscrew the cap", according to www.fijiwater.com. I may be wrong though; perhaps, people buy Fiji water because it tastes better than any of the other water. In reality, water is water. And honestly, Fiji water does not have a very appealing taste to me anyway. To me, it is just expensive water with an attractive bottle design.

message 49: by Teja (new)

Teja Chilukuri | 12 comments Teja Chilukuri,#8
Period 1

I'm going to analyze the use of the new iPhone that came out about five months ago. People carry this small device almost everywhere they go. The iPhone has many different apps which the user can download to entertain themselves. They can even take HD pictures or videos, and then edit, or even share it with their friends. People can also browse the internet, or check their emails wherever they want. So as a result, the iPhone's have become a large trend, and everyone is trying to get their hands on one.

message 50: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 12 comments Vivian wrote: "Vivian Tieu Period 1 #28
I have decided to analyze the cultural practice of watching a movie for the actors and actresses rather than for the story line of the movie. Nowadays, people are no longer..."

I completely agree with you. It seems as if the newer generation is no longer appreciating the depth of the film's meaning, or even the touching story line. It just shows how much good looks are valued in our current society.

« previous 1 3