Mitford Lovers! discussion

This Just In!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thumphrys (new)

Thumphrys | 15 comments OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Cannot wait. Thank, Joy for drawing attention to this!

Jan, many blessings to you!

message 2: by Thumphrys (new)

Thumphrys | 15 comments Surely a typo. 270, maybe?

message 3: by Jeni (new)

Jeni (jeni_says_so) | 1 comments Awesome!

message 4: by Thumphrys (new)

Thumphrys | 15 comments I reread the entire series in the past six months or so. I am very ready for the new "Somewhere...." to get here!
BTW- Home to Holly Springs is my FAVORITE! Such mercy and tenderness in that story!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I am new to Mitford and very excited to join the community. My book store have a big Jan Karon display for the 20th anniversary. I came close to buying #1 in the first series...just waiting to see what we might do as a group.

I will stay tuned!

message 6: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 12 comments I finished reading, To Be Where You Are. Sweet sweet story. I enjoyed it. :)

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 12 comments I enjoyed To Be Where You Are, too. Did anyone feel like it should be the last in the series?

message 8: by Sarah Grace (new)

Sarah Grace Grzy (sarahgraceg) I LOVED TBWYA! So beautiful!! <3

Laura, I wouldn't mind it being the last book, but I won't be upset if there is another. :D

message 9: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 12 comments I would be fine if it's the last book. However, if there is another one, I'll be one of the first in line to read it. :)

message 10: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) MsG wrote: "I am new to Mitford and very excited to join the community. My book store have a big Jan Karon display for the 20th anniversary. I came close to buying #1 in the first series...just waiting to see ..."

Check your library system. Bet you could get copies there.

message 11: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) She seems to put out a new novel every other year.

message 12: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) Thumphrys wrote: "I reread the entire series in the past six months or so. I am very ready for the new "Somewhere...." to get here!
BTW- Home to Holly Springs is my FAVORITE! Such mercy and tenderness in that story!"

That really was one of my favorites too. Also liked the one set in Ireland.

message 13: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) Saw an interview with Jan Karon after her latest book publication, and she stated that she still has more Mitford books in her. Yea! She's 80+.

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 12 comments Sydney wrote: "Saw an interview with Jan Karon after her latest book publication, and she stated that she still has more Mitford books in her. Yea! She's 80+."

YAY!

message 15: by Sydney (last edited May 19, 2018 05:51PM) (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) Loning the series out to a friend, and she loves them too. And someone in the wings waiting to start the series. My books are getting a workout!

PS- Don't forget to check your public library system. You can typically get them and read them all for free!

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 12 comments Thats great. I had a friend loan me her books too, and thats how I read the whole series:) kudos to you for sharing them.

message 17: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) Thank you, dear!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Thumphrys wrote: "OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Cannot wait. Thank, Joy for drawing attention to this!

Jan, many blessings to you!"

I've just found/joined this group. I don't join groups. This is my first, and most likely only. I'm delighted it is a small group, but also surprised. I'm not a religious person, although I think being out in nature is my religion. Despite that, when I stumbled across her first book several years ago, I was totally hooked, and I think I've "read" (listened to) all of them, but I want to be totally sure. I've seen different lists. I'm wondering if there are 12, or more? Of just the Mitford Series, that is. Actually, I'm just finishing up on the last one, To Be Where You Are. I agree with one other group member. This could be a last book for the series, but I certainly hope it isn't. A long and longer life to you, Jan! PS If you've read them all and would like to re-read, I urge you to try the audio books. The same narrator, John McDonough, does them all and he's... well, perfect! Thank you.

message 19: by Sydney (last edited May 19, 2018 05:53PM) (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) Read a recent interview with Jan Karon, who is 80+, and she says she has more Mitford books in her! So glad to hear it. She says she produces one every two years. She takes a year off, then takes a year to write the next book. Her last book came out last Sept., so that means that the next book is due out in Sept. 2019, if she continues to follow this pattern. Happy reading. These books are like old friends. I pull a book down off the shelf every once in a while and visit them again!

Oh, and by the way, while driving back from Florida last month, I drove through Holly Springs, MS! Because I was making time, I didn't get off the interstate to see it, but it brought back happy memories! I think Home to Holly Springs was one of my favorites.

Well, I've just repeated myself in this message probably because I am anxiously awaiting the next book!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Exciting and wonderful to hear - thank you!

message 21: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 12 comments deleted user wrote: "Thumphrys wrote: "OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Cannot wait. Thank, Joy for drawing attention to this!

Jan, many blessings to you!"

I've just found/joined this group. I don't join groups. This is my first, ..."

I've listened to a few of the audio books and they are very good. The narrator is amazing! :)

message 22: by MJ (new)

MJ | 3 comments I'm going to live in Mitford for the foreseeable future! I need respite from life in today's world. I wish everyone everywhere could have the opportunity to experience and appreciate these wonderful stories. :)

message 23: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 12 comments MJ wrote: "I'm going to live in Mitford for the foreseeable future! I need respite from life in today's world. I wish everyone everywhere could have the opportunity to experience and appreciate these wonderfu..."

Enjoy. :)

message 24: by Sydney (last edited Jul 25, 2018 01:20PM) (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) I go back to Mitford from time to time myself. I rarely buy books anymore, for if I did I'd have thousands. But I have this set which is never far from me. I especially like the older Mitford books. They certainly evoke a gentler life, where people are not devoid of conflict but solve said conflicts in a dignified, loving and civilized way. Redemptive novels are so very good to read producing a feeling of well-being and rest.

message 25: by MJ (new)

MJ | 3 comments Katherine wrote: "MJ wrote: "I'm going to live in Mitford for the foreseeable future! I need respite from life in today's world. I wish everyone everywhere could have the opportunity to experience and appreciate the..."

Thank you. :)

message 26: by MJ (new)

MJ | 3 comments Sydney wrote: "I go back to Mitford from time to time myself. I rarely buy books anymore, for if I did I'd have thousands. But I have this set which is never far from me. I especially like the older Mitford books..."

Exactly! Thank you. :)

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 12 comments Did you guys see that Jan Karon will be releasing a book for Mitford fans titled, Bathed in Prayer? It looks like it will come out October 30th!

message 28: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 12 comments Laura wrote: "Did you guys see that Jan Karon will be releasing a book for Mitford fans titled, Bathed in Prayer? It looks like it will come out October 30th!"

Wonderful! Thanks for the info! :)