Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Books/Characters > Harry/Hermione

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments I was reading a couple of articles on J.K Rowling's bombshell about Ron and Hermione. For those who have not seen this yet, she basically said that she paired them because of 'wish-fulfillment' and not because of literary sense, and that they would have probably needed counselling.
What are your thoughts.
(P.S. Bisky - I hope this is the right folder for this...)

message 2: by Bisky (last edited Feb 05, 2014 09:34AM) (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
(Yes, totes is)

I'm more annoyed that she didn't end up putting Luna and Neville together in the end.

I honestly thought she was aiming for Ron and Herrs to get together right from the beginning. But she keeps coming out and saying things like this, I regret this I regret that. She shouldn't have forced a book out a year, thats a huge burden. The fans would have waited if she took longer. I honestly thought the last book was boring and I loved the first three to death.

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments I was just thinking, 'Give it a rest already.'
Somewhere, I think that she feels like her wondrous creation has taken on a life of its own and she still wants a modicum of control. Her constant dropping of bombshells like Dumbledore is gay and Harry should have married Hermione make me more angry than anything else. I see the books a certain way, you see them another, she intended yet a third thing. What would you think if C.S Lewis suddenly told you that Susan should have died as well, or that Mr. Tumnus was gay?
The books were written. Leave them alone. It makes no sense to try and change our perception after the fact.

message 4: by Bisky (new)

Part of me feels like she came out with Dumbledore was gay just to be shocking. Honestly, sexuality of teachers is not something that I would have thought about. Most of the teachers weren't mentioned to be married as far as I remember and I assumed that was because THEY ARE TEACHERS. It's a YA for christsake, I don't look at my 78 year old lectuerer and wonder who he's shagging.

If she felt that she needed to explore the sexuality of a character, in my opinion she should have explored it within the younger cast. There was plenty of space for it and I think I would have enjoyed reading about it. A reclusive eccentric old gay man is such a stereotype.

It's starting to get a little George Lucas. She is missing the masterpiece underneath and spoiling it by adding in things later.

message 5: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments Bisky wrote: "She is missing the masterpiece underneath and spoiling it by adding in things later."
Well said!!

message 6: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (adrienne_s) | 10 comments I feel like every author has something they wish they would have done differently in his or her story. But I don't mind that J.K. Rowling doesn't let the story rest because I hunger for more. I wish she would write more stories with all the extra added bits thrown in. Though I will admit that for years I shipped Dumbledore and McGonagall. Also, I always thought Hermione was good for Ron and that she made him a better person.

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Wolfenberger | 85 comments These kind of announcements don't bother me all that much. I get what she's saying. Based on the story structure, Harry probably should have ended up with Hermione. She was far more prominent in the books (and thus Harry's life) than Ginny was. I'm guessing this announcement was made to keep Harry Potter in the limelight while Warner Brothers and Rowling work on the "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" movie spin off.

message 8: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments Am I the only one who thought that when she said 'wish-fulfillment', she meant something in her own life?

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Wolfenberger | 85 comments @Claire, nope. I thought the same thing.

message 10: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments I don't agree with Rowling at all that Harry and Hermione should have ended up. Opposites attract, and I felt from the very beginning when they first met that Ron and Hermione should end up together. As for "they'd end up needing counseling", I mean...it's a fantasy book for crying out loud...why shouldn't there be fantasy in it?

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments @J, someone on Twitter asked if J.K. Rowling knew the books weren't real. LOL!

message 12: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 187 comments I can tell you why the harry/hermione couple wouldn't work out. harry was not affected by oedipus complex.

message 13: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments Claire wrote: "@J, someone on Twitter asked if J.K. Rowling knew the books weren't real. LOL!"

lol...yeah it's like...they'd need counseling? relax, JK, it's only a book, it's only a book...

message 14: by Carl (new)

Carl My wish fulfillment is that I'd have killed off one of the big three and now I really wish it had it been Hermione.

message 15: by Bisky (new)

She irritated the life out of me in the films. Also, I met someone at an audition for Luna Lovegood who said she was really a big meanie off screen.

message 16: by Carl (new)

Carl :-(

message 17: by Bisky (new)

Though, she would have been like 16? All teenagers are mean :p

message 18: by Jade (new)

Jade Varden (jadevarden) | 3 comments I can see everyone's point of view in this, and I've had some of the same thoughts about Rowling trying to stretch out her series success and all. However, I do sort of understand where she's coming from. Characters don't stop talking to us just because the book is over. I've gone back and seen things in my own books I didn't see the first time around.